Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've had enough now . . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I am with the OP. He is off to Barbados, white trousers appropriate. The wine smells for the rest of his flight. He probably has a hard time getting dry. Likely some of the wine is on the seat. He is wet, uncomfy and smelly for the rest of his flight, disembarkation and airport immigration formalities. At baggage claim he must head off to the Loo to get changed. Since when does red wine come out of white fabric so easy. How does the Euro cost of dry cleaning in Athens have anything to do with hotel dry cleaning in the Caribbean.

The OP is saying that he paid for a premium experience and for reasons in his view partly the fault of BA, he does not get it. A cut and paste sorry and 7.50 adds insult to injury. Its the absolute minimum from BA - common nowadays, but inappropriate in this situation.

Criticism to the OP for wearing white absurd. Should we call wear neoprene now to cater for BA's clumsiness?

Last edited by Purim; Mar 27, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Has broken THE camel's back, one presumes, otherwise it's a short journey from 'his' to 'her' and 'back' to 'toe'.

Don't worry, i've already got my coat....
Male pedantry is allowed - particularly from someone that I have known here such a long time.

You do not know that he does not own camels not do you?

This slightly less so.... maybe Madame Pucci prefers au naturel

Spare my blushes - I am an almost respectable married woman!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wytco0
We can often be found in cheap hotels after arriving in J ;-) .

Since discovering the delights of never traveling with more than 1 hand baggage sized case each we normally spend an enjoyable half-day each week in a local launderette. It's about time the search engines started to have the ability to find a hotel with a launderette nearby.

PS also NWI (Costessey) based.
It's clearly a Norfolk thing then. Being Flyertalk I didn't like to admit that I rarely stay in more than a 3* hotel for fear of what little remaining credibility I have being totally destroyed .

I can recommend a very nice 2* hotel in San Francisco with a laundrette less than a minute's walk away. We already counted as regulars in the hotel, but I think we may even start being recognised in the laundrette soon ...

Even so, in the circumstances I probably wouldn't have been spending the first night of my stay there.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

You do not know that he does not own camels not do you?
Even if he did, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't have managed to sneak one on as hand baggage, even if it was a miniature shetland camel. I mean this chap couldn't even achieve similar on British Rail -

Anyway, I'm still not budging on the fact that there's no excuse for a grown man wearing white trousers in 2017 (unless he's a snake oil salesman or an evangelical preacher).

The fact he's off to Barbados is irrelevant - the trousers would be grubby after the flight, regardless. Presumably he had another 7 pairs in his suitcase. I'm off skiing - I'm not going to get on the plane wearing my ski trousers now, am I (although in second thoughts, I could chuck red wine around no end and then just watch it run off....)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Purim

Criticism to the OP for wearing white absurd. Should we call wear neoprene now to cater for BA's clumsiness?
I think for my next CW trip I shall turn up wearing my coveralls, already suitably oil and grease stained. I'm sure my fellow passengers will appreciate eau de Castrol fragrance for their flight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Regardless of trouser colour, i think we can all agree there are better ways to spend one's time then having a cold, damp leg, smelling of wet dog rolled in mud (or whatever your like to describe the smell of red wine mixed with cotton).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Regardless of trouser colour, i think we can all agree there are better ways to spend one's time then having a cold, damp leg, smelling of wet dog rolled in mud (or whatever your like to describe the smell of red wine mixed with cotton).
Some of us pay good money for that (allegedly...)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:48 pm

I once did the same thing with a wine glass in CW-soaked through. I was embarrassed and apologised - not really sure how it's the cabin crew's fault. Not certain that the glass was topped up after I had gone to sleep, but I certainly left it half full in the expectation that they would clear it. Lesson learned-the call button is now used to make sure my seat is clear before I go to sleep, if it isn't already.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:17 pm

No win situation here. If the CC member had taken the glass away it could just as easily have been a 'I dozed off and CC took away my glass of wine' scenario.

When I sleep on the plane I make sure the area around me is clear of drinks and also things that can be broken (specs etc).

As for white trousers, well each to their own I guess. Should go nicely with a stripy jacket and cravat.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

OP doesn't even mind about the trousers "happens from time to time" He is justified in finding £7.50 a completely nonsensical form of compensation. It is not enough for cleaning/replacement etc...In this case zero compensation would almost be better but by admitting some responsibility BA are then on the hook for how that compensation is perceived.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
OP doesn't even mind about the trousers "happens from time to time" He is justified in finding £7.50 a completely nonsensical form of compensation. It is not enough for cleaning/replacement etc...In this case zero compensation would almost be better but by admitting some responsibility BA are then on the hook for how that compensation is perceived.
Why is it nonsensical? £7.50 would cover the cost of cleaning a pair of trousers in any of the dry cleaners around where I live in the SE.

Anyway why is it compensation? You generally only get compensated where someone is at fault. Perhaps this is BA way of saying 'look we don't accept liability but get your trousers cleaned on us'.

Sometimes these things happen, that doesn't mean someone immediately needs compensating. And lets face it with white trousers there was no room for error....
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by simons1
Why is it nonsensical? £7.50 would cover the cost of cleaning a pair of trousers in any of the dry cleaners around where I live in the SE.

Anyway why is it compensation? You generally only get compensated where someone is at fault. Perhaps this is BA way of saying 'look we don't accept liability but get your trousers cleaned on us'.

Sometimes these things happen, that doesn't mean someone immediately needs compensating. And lets face it with white trousers there was no room for error....
But the OP was not travelling to SE around where you live.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by simons1

Agreed. I had a whole glass of white wine split on my jeans in CW directly by the cabin crew. She was apologetic and helped clean up, and really no problem. One of those things.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Purim
But the OP was not travelling to SE around where you live.
I doubt that dry cleaning in Barbados costs that much more, if indeed anything more.

Nor does it automatically mean the OP needs compensating.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:19 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Agreed. I had a whole glass of white wine split on my jeans in CW directly by the cabin crew. She was apologetic and helped clean up, and really no problem. One of those things.
Yes, because white wine and red wine are exactly the same when it comes to cleaning...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.