Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Alex, we have a problem (Glass Door rankings)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alex, we have a problem (Glass Door rankings)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It's interesting that in most cases the CEO gets a higher rating than the company - and, indeed, that's the case for my employer as well. It would suggest that most employees feel their corporate entity displays rather suspect policy in respect of employee welfare, but that local executive teams are recognised as trying to mitigate that policy as much as they can within the wriggle room they have.

With BA & AC, it would suggest just the opposite - that AC is seen as the cause of the issues. That must be incredibly disheartening, to think that no-one is going to stand up for you. It also, imo, suggests that the staff don't feel it's WW's guiding corporate hand on the tiller here, and that the mess is pretty much all down to AC.
I think it's typically the case that the stuff people hate about their companies tends to be communicated by lower management tiers and if any root cause is identified at all it's just an amorphous 'it comes from high up' which allows plenty of scapegoats beneath the CEO.

The CEO tends to communicate only in the most vanilla fashion with staff and also gets the 'glam factor' of appearing in the media and at public events. It's easy to think for people that "he's a good guy, if only he knew all the bad stuff that the others are doing". (This is by the way very analogous to how it works in dictatorships).

The difference IMO is that Cruz is set up to be the bad guy here and no effort is made to set him up as a benign figure. I think it's quite apparently some sort of strategy to position Cruz as a scapegoat. Once the "LCC-ization" program is through he can step down (he won't mind, his golden handshake will be enormous), the new guy speaks of a 'new BA' which will make things right and undoes 1 or 2 of the 100s of measures implemented by BA now and comes out smelling like roses.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
While I don't doubt the results here at a large scale, I absolutely despise Glassdoor in relation to smaller organizations as their business model is basically to try to extort companies to pay to improve their perception on Glassdoor. Many people who post have no idea what Glassdoor's business model is.

Also it is incredibly difficult to have a review removed even if it is not based on facts, and there's really no way to defend an absurd review like there is with Trip Advisor, in part because employment law in many countries restricts what a company may say about someone, and in part because there's not really a way to look reasonable in defending some responses.

Our organization has a better than 90% rating by both criteria measured, but the few negative reviews are basically from employees who did not do the job asked of them. So, fwiw, while we may look impressive, I feel like the service has a truly shady business model.

Anyway, I have no doubt that BA morale is currently amongst the lowest in the industry, nor the validity of some of the reviews, I just don't trust anything from that service due to their business tactics.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dylanks

Our organization has a better than 90% rating by both criteria measured, but the few negative reviews are basically from employees who did not do the job asked of them. So, fwiw, while we may look impressive, I feel like the service has a truly shady business model.

How can you tell who the employees are - I thought all the postings were confidential - for the most part, it doesn't seem like you have to give very much detail about your role - some postings had broad job descriptions - like CSR or Purchasing, but unless it was a small company or somebody in your department, it would seem hard to identify the person?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Cons
Poor organization, poor customer service and if you want to work with a bunch of rude, inconsiderate jerks, this is the place for you.

I hate to say this but it's pretty much the reason I switched Alliances.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
How can you tell who the employees are - I thought all the postings were confidential - for the most part, it doesn't seem like you have to give very much detail about your role - some postings had broad job descriptions - like CSR or Purchasing, but unless it was a small company or somebody in your department, it would seem hard to identify the person?
In a smaller company like ours (less than 50 people), you know with reasonable but not absolute certainty based on how people write (having a linguistic signature, obvious word choices, etc.) or what they say (e.g. making a statement that only a particular person would have made).

We don't do this, but I know some companies can make a pretty strong guess based on analyzing what is written against writing samples from an employee. A few paragraphs is often all that is needed to know with reasonable certainty that someone was the author (or that someone copied the writing style of someone else). Some older articles on the topic include https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...that-way/?_r=0 and https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ckoos-calling/ .
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

In a smaller company like ours (less than 50 people), you know with reasonable but not absolute certainty based on how people write (having a linguistic signature, obvious word choices, etc.) or what they say (e.g. making a statement that only a particular person would have made).
yes, smaller company totally makes sense --
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Well, if your company spends so much effort in trying to find out who left a bad review, they may have had a point!

(TiC)
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Well, if your company spends so much effort in trying to find out who left a bad review, they may have had a point!
Perceptive

(AKA great minds think alike )
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Most mainstream companies would conduct exit interviews and find out why people were leaving, as people leaving is a significant cost.

You tend to find that those who leave are those with higher skills and abilities, a high staff tern over is seen as a red flag in companies.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
So Glassdoor is indicating that there is a poor corporate mentality inside BA/IAG. Didn't we come to a similar conclusion based on Walsh's 'show me the [expletive removed] money' comments in the investor day presentation?

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 20, 2017 at 2:07 am Reason: rule 16
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Most mainstream companies would conduct exit interviews and find out why people were leaving, as people leaving is a significant cost.

You tend to find that those who leave are those with higher skills and abilities, a high staff tern over is seen as a red flag in companies.
Originally Posted by mrow
So Glassdoor is indicating that there is a poor corporate mentality inside BA/IAG. Didn't we come to a similar conclusion based on Walsh's 'show me the [expletive removed] money' comments in the investor day presentation?
One would think numbers so outside any other companies in the same industry -- in a bad way -- is a big red flag to the BOD.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 20, 2017 at 2:07 am Reason: amend quotation
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Prospero
The glassdoor figures do suggest very low staff morale, which for this customer is worrisome because as I see it BA’s staff are the company’s greatest asset.
i agree. I think management see them as a liability and would quite like them all to leave so they can hire cheaper ones. They don't value (and maybe most of the market doesn't value) the extra they bring. It's a shame but there you go.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended

I think the other interesting point is the low ratings for Vueling (small sample) and also IB relative to other airlines. There were only 4 reviews for IAG and only 23% would recommend (I suppose small exec team) - but still - and some of the comments were, well...
Woowwww what a reading! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Deeply worrying - and thanks for sharing, elitetraveller.

I wonder whether BA/IAG bother to read this sort of thing?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by Worcester
Most mainstream companies would conduct exit interviews and find out why people were leaving, as people leaving is a significant cost.....
I have worked at four global IT companies and two telcos over twenty five years and never had an exit interview. Left all of them voluntarily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.