Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Alex, we have a problem (Glass Door rankings)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It was pointed out in a Twitter feed about BA and AC's very poor showing in the employer/CEO ratings of Glassdoor. That said, I wanted to see how the rankings for BA/AC compared to other airlines...and Wow -- you may need to hold your nose!

It would seem that despite the protests of a few FTers here, there is a significant problem with BA management. Not saying Glassdoor is a be all, end all, but the differences in the BA/AC ratings vs. a host of other airlines, including the likes of QR and U2 is really striking.

Below is a summary:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/W...3462.11,26.htm

Only 35% would recommend BA to a friend and only 20% approve of Alex Cruz.

As a comparison, for AA - 72% would recommend to a friend and 73% approve of Doug Parker, the CEO.

For UA, 76% would recommend working there and 97% approve of Oscar Munoz

For DL it's 90% and 95% approving of the CEO!!!

U2 is 81% and 90%

AF is 61% and 72%

VS is 55% and 54%

KL is 82% and 98%

LH is 59% and 79%

EK is 76% and 95%

QF is 70% and 75%

QR is 59% and 73% for AAB

EY is 60% and 36%

NK (Spirit) is 70% and 71%

G4 (Allegiant) is 79% and 85%

TK is 62% and 65%

IB is 38% and 54%

FR is 44% and 30% - so BA is behind even, well, 'nough said

Last edited by elitetraveler; Mar 19, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The glassdoor figures do suggest very low staff morale, which for this customer is worrisome because as I see it BA’s staff are the company’s greatest asset.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Could you explain who or what Glassdoor are and what qualifies them to rank airlines and named managers therin ?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Could you explain who or what Glassdoor are and what qualifies them to rank airlines and named managers therin ?
It's a website that includes job search and enables employees to anonymously rank their company and management - helpful if you are looking for a job and want to get some feedback about companies you are applying to - I believe that's the main purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassdoor

It's not just airlines -- it's a wide variety of companies

For example, 64% of IBM employees recommend the company and 64% approve of their CEO

For Pfizer it's 77% and 88%

It's some interesting commentary - particularly interesting to read about companies within your industry, etc.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Its the recruitment sector’s equivalent of trip advisor.

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It is a website where employees both current and former can anonymously rate their employer and management.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/index.htm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Its the recruitment sector’s equivalent of trip advisor.
A good description. When I saw the tweet to @AC pointing it out that's why I thought it was interesting to take a look at BA vs. other companies in the sector. Frankly, I think I am still surprised. It was much worse than I expected.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
The first question is "the NPS question". 35% is abysmal and I was surprised too - although don't forget there's an unresolved industrial dispute on.

But 20% for AC ? Stunningly bad.

IMHO you cannot sustain a service business with staff engagement that low.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
When looking at my employer stats on glass door, I would say its pretty accurate - it was 68% and 65% - about right I think.

If BA is as accurate as I think my employer stats are ............ oh dear!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting. What about Vueling? Would be interesting too.

also very interesting is that AAB is more popular than Hogan somewhat in line to my expectation from various interviews and my perceived personality of both characters.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao
Thank you for sharing. Very interesting. What about Vueling? Would be interesting too.

also very interesting is that AAB is more popular than Hogan somewhat in line to my expectation from various interviews and my perceived personality of both characters.
Fairly minimal reviews, and it still list AC as the CEO -- but hold your laughter...

https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/W...2481.11,27.htm

It's 45% for the company and 26% for AC

Here's one employee review --

Pros
I didn't die in a plane crash. At least I got to travel!! After having to stand and wait for hours long delays that were never explained.

Cons
Poor organization, poor customer service and if you want to work with a bunch of rude, inconsiderate jerks, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management
Bring your brain to work
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:40 pm

The results are especially surprising since some companies *encourage* their staff to leave positive reviews on there, so you'd expect slightly inflated satisfaction scores. That might be less common in the UK though as the site isn't as well-known there as it is in the U.S.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:47 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's interesting that in most cases the CEO gets a higher rating than the company - and, indeed, that's the case for my employer as well. It would suggest that most employees feel their corporate entity displays rather suspect policy in respect of employee welfare, but that local executive teams are recognised as trying to mitigate that policy as much as they can within the wriggle room they have.

With BA & AC, it would suggest just the opposite - that AC is seen as the cause of the issues. That must be incredibly disheartening, to think that no-one is going to stand up for you. It also, imo, suggests that the staff don't feel it's WW's guiding corporate hand on the tiller here, and that the mess is pretty much all down to AC.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

AC may be the boss du jour, but the rot started much earlier ... and while no doubt some BA staff are excellent, too many others (especially on the ground) look upon customers as the 'enemy'.

That is why I avoid flying BA as much as possible, which is very often the case.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It's interesting that in most cases the CEO gets a higher rating than the company - and, indeed, that's the case for my employer as well. It would suggest that most employees feel their corporate entity displays rather suspect policy in respect of employee welfare, but that local executive teams are recognised as trying to mitigate that policy as much as they can within the wriggle room they have.

With BA & AC, it would suggest just the opposite - that AC is seen as the cause of the issues. That must be incredibly disheartening, to think that no-one is going to stand up for you. It also, imo, suggests that the staff don't feel it's WW's guiding corporate hand on the tiller here, and that the mess is pretty much all down to AC.
I think the other interesting point is the low ratings for Vueling (small sample) and also IB relative to other airlines. There were only 4 reviews for IAG and only 23% would recommend (I suppose small exec team) - but still - and some of the comments were, well...

London

Toxic

I worked at International Airlines Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros
Can think of anything positive except on paper the name IAG seems to "impress" people

Cons
Chaotic and disorganised management
Zero communication
Very ambiguous
No processes, totally inefficient
Obsession with useless meetings and overly complex governance
Little faith and buy-in from the operating companies who have outstourced their finance, procurement and IT functions to Poland (low cost)
Short term cost reduction driven at expense of customer satisfaction
50% staff turnover in Krakow
Very complex systems that dont reconcile
No handover, support or training
No knowledge sharing
Agresssive and incompetent senior management driven by bonus to kick out as many people as possible
People very two-faced and lots of backstabbing
Management bullying tactics
Highly toxic ambience, not recommended to anyone competent that has any ounce of decency in them.
Show Less

Advice to Management
Get rid of GBS as the model is broken. Savings are not real.
Eliminate excessive bonuses paid to GBS senior management (while paying peanuts to staff in Poland) for service degradation and increasing risk of exposure. A major disaster is just waiting to happen – but GBS senior management don’t care.. they only care about their bonus driven by maximising the number of staff they make redundant.

xxxx

Consultant, Madrid

Pros
-very friendly management
-helpful co-workers
- flexible schedule to maintain life-work balance

Cons
One of the biggest flaws that I found that there was no clear goals to set by management team, deadlines were uncertain

Advice to Management
be more specific about what you want your team to achieve and don't wobble about timeframes

xxxx

Purchasing Manager, London

Cons
The benfits package (travels and bonus) will dissapear shortly and is affected more and more each year due to cost cutting. The new IAG organization doesnt offer tavel benefits anymore.

Goes through serious restructuring each year, jobs are becoming more automatised and the quality of the services keeps degradating as a result of an agresive cos-cutting program ran by people with no true procurement and supply chain experience, and massive outsourcing to countries that offer very low quality services.

The positive financial numbers every year are still unlikely to help British Airways to renew its fleet, that happens to be one of the oldest in Europe.
In the past British Airways managed to convince Qatar to buy stakes from the company just to ensure Qatar will have an interest in help maintaining British Airways on the market.

Its a respected brand in the UK and has very good credibility, but the internal functions are full of peple with low subject matter expertise making he entire environment a rat race, condoning nepotism and cutting costs from the quality of life instead of investing in long term assets to pursue profitability.
Show Less

Advice to Management
Hire people with more expertise and especially with management experience. Stop condoning mediocrity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.