Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:08 pm

Generally I agree that planes are too hot on long-haul flights. Apparently there's an urban legend going around flight attendants that raising the temperature will put people to sleep when of course it's just the opposite. On BA a previous poster went on such a crusade he got BA to issue an official policy but I'm sure that got forgotten pretty quickly.

However I did one thing that really opened my eyes at one point. I started bringing on board a small digital thermometer that I could leave on the table a convenient ledge (not so much on BA where there's no convenient storage even in CW but that's another story...) and keep an eye on all the time. What I found is that my internal thermometer is nowhere near as precise as I believed.

Some times when I was sweating and hot the thermometer stubbornly showed 21-22 which in the dry air on board was usually what I was hoping for. Other times I was chilly and found the temperature was actually in the same range! Usually if I asked for the temperature to be lowered and was feeling grumpy that it hadn't changed the thermometer showed it had in fact dropped significantly.

Interestingly having an objective measure to look at actually made me more comfortable. I found I was sweating and overheating less and my anxiousness over the discomfort was much reduced.

Oh, another thing -- if you drink on board that'll totally throw your body temp out of wack.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Stez

I wonder if part of the issue is the plane generally fly in a nose-up pitch, so heat drift from Y to F, seeking the highest point.
It's not something that I have observed on other airlines though.

For instance, here is an extreme example of JL: it's warm-ish in F (if cabin is present), too warm in J, far too warm in premium economy (if cabin is present), and EXTREMELY warm in economy to the extent that I cannot cope with being there and have to stand by the door or I'd feel ill (NH tends to be pretty hot too, come to think of it.)

They do have the 'normal' cabin layout in that order from nose to tail, so logically speaking it should be the other way round if it's related to the angle.

Personally I haven't had much of a problem with hot cabin on BA lately even though I used to. Maybe it's a different route with different passenger preferences. Come to think of it, BA flights tend to be hotter to/from Japan than the likes of SIN/SYD.

That tallies with hot JL/NH and what BA.MF.CSM said about passengers' preferences varying, come to think of it.

Originally Posted by zkzkz

Interestingly having an objective measure to look at actually made me more comfortable. I found I was sweating and overheating less and my anxiousness over the discomfort was much reduced.
Indeed, it is really interesting how our minds work!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 13, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Generally I agree that planes are too hot on long-haul flights. Apparently there's an urban legend going around flight attendants that raising the temperature will put people to sleep when of course it's just the opposite. On BA a previous poster went on such a crusade he got BA to issue an official policy but I'm sure that got forgotten pretty quickly.

However I did one thing that really opened my eyes at one point. I started bringing on board a small digital thermometer that I could leave on the table a convenient ledge (not so much on BA where there's no convenient storage even in CW but that's another story...) and keep an eye on all the time. What I found is that my internal thermometer is nowhere near as precise as I believed.

Some times when I was sweating and hot the thermometer stubbornly showed 21-22 which in the dry air on board was usually what I was hoping for. Other times I was chilly and found the temperature was actually in the same range! Usually if I asked for the temperature to be lowered and was feeling grumpy that it hadn't changed the thermometer showed it had in fact dropped significantly.

Oh, another thing -- if you drink on board that'll totally throw your body temp out of wack.
This is a very interesting post ^
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:55 pm

I always find the cabin too warm on BA flights, especially the overnight. I wish there were the individual air nozzles (don't know what you call them) at the seats. That at least would help a bit. That is one thing I like about the AA planes.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Travlur
I always find the cabin too warm on BA flights, especially the overnight. I wish there were the individual air nozzles (don't know what you call them) at the seats. That at least would help a bit. That is one thing I like about the AA planes.
Me, too.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Travlur
I wish there were the individual air nozzles (don't know what you call them) at the seats.
Gaspers.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
It is true that's the 747s take ages to cool down (they do eventually cool down though) but there is really only one reason why BA has a notorious reputation of hot cabins. Those that are in direct control of it. I never ask for a turndown service in F as it's a waste of time. I will inevitably wake up two hours in, boiling.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just can't understand why BA CC don't just wear a jumper and move about more to keep warm (like they do on other airlines). Sitting down by a door in the middle of the night will make you feel cold. Whacking the temperature up and spoiling the experience of many premium travellers is just unacceptable.
In my opinion it'll never change as I don't think BA listen to the feedback and don't have the guts to instruct their staff to keep the temperatures cool during the night.

On a similar subject, I think BA short haul pilots need to be more aware of the temperature in the cabin when boarding. They keep their air conditioning switched off (presumably for cost reasons) until minutes before departure and it is unbearably uncomfortable in the cabin. They only have to look at the enormous amount of passengers who are fanning themselves with the safety card and desperately looking at the air vents trying to get some cool air to see how ridiculous they're being. Just switch the air conditioning on please.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by highexpectations
On a similar subject, I think BA short haul pilots need to be more aware of the temperature in the cabin when boarding. They keep their air conditioning switched off (presumably for cost reasons) until minutes before departure and it is unbearably uncomfortable in the cabin. They only have to look at the enormous amount of passengers who are fanning themselves with the safety card and desperately looking at the air vents trying to get some cool air to see how ridiculous they're being. Just switch the air conditioning on please.
This is mostly due to airport restrictions. The APU (which supplies the bleed air for the air conditioning packs) is often not allowed to be turned on until 15 minutes before departure.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I seem to remember that the 'service standards' state the cabin should be at 21/22, so really people wanting it warmer shouldn't be indulged. They have blankets after all.

My warmest flights recently have been in 1A of the A380, even though it can be lovely and cool as soon as you go through the thick curtains to the doors. Once you've woken up and traipsed to the crew to request an adjustment, and then become more comfortable your sleep is well and truly disturbed.

The simplest way (i've found) to 'cope' is to remove any socks as that seems to have quite a cooling effect.

As others have said. the twin personal airvents on AA flights are wonderful.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
My last few flights have been in WTP, I am nearly always cold - the last flight I asked for another 'blanket' - the CC member disappeared and I thought he had forgotten, but he came back with a CW duvet which was much appreciated.
I have made sure to put a pashmina in my hand luggage for my upcoming flight.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:16 pm

Solution

If it feels like an oven in the cabin, then I just strip down to my tightie whitey speedo underpants. Works like charm every time
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Many would like that, any budgie hiding in them?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
If it feels like an oven in the cabin,
Well what can I do other than welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Forum? It's good to see you here, may your trips here, and there, are cool and composed. In the absence of Mr. Dithers, welcome on board BLONDIEandDAGWOOD.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Flew to MIA last week in CW A380 - was far too hot to sleep - others complained too.

Flew back from MIA on AA 77W - perfect temperature and slept for 6 hours straight.

The comparison between the 2 flights was quite shocking for many reasons - this being one! AA were far superior in all respects, including food and friendliness!!

Aks120
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I am always too cold on long-haul flights with all airlines, with possibly only one exception in the last 5 years. I always ask for a second blanket and wear a hoodie and socks. The thermostat is set to 26 degrees at home.

Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.