Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Avios
Cabin Temperature

Hi all,

Just returned from a week in Phoenix watching baseball on BA288 Thursday evening landing Friday morning, operated on G-CIVA.

I couldn't help but notice that the cabin temperature on boarding was very high as to be uncomfortable. Initially I put this down to 90 degree Phoenix heat that afternoon, yet the temperature remained stubbornly high for most of the flight, when miraculously it cooled down as soon as breakfast was served.

Is it BA policy to set the temperature to a particular level? I did consider, somewhat cynically, that it was a ruse to keep people from using their blankets, and then run a program to see how many were still sealed on arrival, then remove them from flights by "proving" no one used them.

Or is it that the crew are trying to get you to sleep by warming the plane, then to wake up by cooling it down again? If this is the idea, it doesn't work!

Anyone have similar experiences? Do the crew respond to requests for temperature changes?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For some reason they frequently default the temperature to a point where it is uncomfortably hot (and I am someone who is usually cold so I can imagine it must be very unpleasant for others). If you ask the cabin crew they can turn the temperature down, and in my experience they are very happy to do so.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
As MikeBOS said, just let the cabin crew know. The galley areas tend to be the coldest part of the aircraft, so unless someone asks for it to be cooler, they'll keep it warmer than I would like.

I hope you enjoyed your time in PHX. I'm on tonight's flight!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I almost always find short haul planes to be a bit too hot for my liking. I do prefer things a bit colder so it may just be me.

This is especially bad during the winter with a bus transfer going from a toasty plane to -5C outside then straight into a toasty bus messes with my system a lot. Long haul I don't find so bad on the whole.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
That's interesting as our flight out to Dubai was really cold. Blankets were heavily used by many people! Be interesting to see what the return is like today
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Always find cabin temperatures frustratingly hot on LH flights in premium cabins with BA (particularly once the lights have been turned down after the service). I have checked with cabin crew before and the highest I have witnessed it being set to is 27 degrees and that was in F. Apparently the cabin service standard is for the temperature to be set at 21-22 at night, but in my experience it's almost always set higher than this. Always mention to the cabin crew and mostly it is turned down, but inevitably someone turns it back up, maybe during the shift changeover?
Pay a lot to fly in these cabins, as we all do, and mostly it is to benefit from the flat bed and as decent a nights sleep as I can get, but almost always find it too hot, resulting in a really disturbed sleep.
Understandably it gets cold at night and in the galleys, but just cannot understand why some BA CC won't put their BA issued jumpers on, move about more in the cabins/galleys to keep warm and keep a reasonable temperature in the cabin for those who have paid a lot of money (throughout the aircraft) to have a decent nights sleep.
sunkisseddavid likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Absolutely agree - cabin is always WAY too hot for me on long hauls at night. To be fair, I tend to sleep in a cold room at home (16-17 degrees C) but I do find BA cabins unbearably hot most of the time - to the point where I can struggle to sleep even in F - one flight to KUL was especially bad, must have been 28-29 degrees C on board, woke up over India with several hours still to run, drenched in sweat...looked around the cabin and half of Club World is awake with me for the same reason

weird - I always now ask the crew of possible not to crank up the heating too much!
sunkisseddavid likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I totally agree, it is not strange at all. It is just typical of the way we are sometimes regarded, albeit by a minority, as freight rather than paying customers. As you say, they can put a jumper on as many other crews on other airlines do. But some seem to prefer to turn the temperature up and hang around the galleys with the cabin an oven and the galley at a comfortable shirt sleeve temperature.

I can't remember the last time I needed to use a duvet in F or Club and still wake up uncomfortably hot.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am almost always way too hot on BA. In F I can usually negotiate a temperature reduction. On a recent flight HKG to LHR, at the front of upper deck A380, the CC serving my area was the type who gives the airline a bad name. Surly to the point of rude and doing the minimal she could get away with. When I asked politely if the temperature could be lowered (it was even hotter than usual) she said that it was fixed and that there was nothing that could be done. She must have thought I was born yesterday.... Later in the flight when that particular CC was on break I spoke to another member of crew who rolled her eyes, agreed that the temperature was higher than usual and turned it down, until of course it went back up again later. We did not see the CSD on either leg of that trip, CW one way and F the other. My partner and I are both Gold. Very different to CX where we are always warmly welcomed by both the CSD and cabin purser.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by IThink
I totally agree, it is not strange at all. It is just typical of the way we are sometimes regarded, albeit by a minority, as freight rather than paying customers. As you say, they can put a jumper on as many other crews on other airlines do. But some seem to prefer to turn the temperature up and hang around the galleys with the cabin an oven and the galley at a comfortable shirt sleeve temperature.

I can't remember the last time I needed to use a duvet in F or Club and still wake up uncomfortably hot.
A little unfair there I think. Do you know how many times we get asked to put the temp up/down on flights!?! Generally gentlemen tend to be on the warmer side and ladies on the cooler side. The 74 has a nasty habit of setting it's own temperatures and unless you have an SCCM that keeps a check on the temps, it will likely default to 24 degrees. With temperatures, as many have said, just speak to the crew, but bare in mind that another customer may have asked them to do the opposite with the temperature not 5 minutes previously. The joys of mass transportation and conspiracy theorists.....

Kind regrads

BA.MF.CSM
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Do people actually have their bedrooms heated to 24C throughout the night at home?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Do people actually have their bedrooms heated to 24C throughout the night at home?

Can we stick to the topic please

Agree that generally temperatures on BA planes is too warm. Exit rows is the place to be if you want cooler air.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Poles and Italian seem to do. After I succeeded in getting my hotel room to a nice 16c by opening the window during a blizzard in KRK, the hotel staff refused to enter my room the next day. There is a well known BBC photo of kids playing in snow. Germans and Brits say "oh, kids having a jolly snow ball fight", Poles and Italians say "Oh the cruelty, they are wearing shorts!"
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Petrus

Can we stick to the topic please

Agree that generally temperatures on BA planes is too warm. Exit rows is the place to be if you want cooler air.
Apologies, I thought it was related. Surely the cabin temperature should reflect what the temperature would normally be for people sleeping at home.

EDIT: I suppose the question I should have asked was what should be a reasonable temperature for sleeping on board an aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:47 am

My experience is that BA is in the better part when it comes to European ones. I always have a small travel-thermometer. Some times it tends to go above 24C (esp. upper deck 747), but when I ask them to lower it they are always happy to do that. A few times they have even asked me up front - "do you think it is to warm here". My low-record on on BA (747 F-cabin) was 19C (without asking). First time I could really enjoy the duvet.

Worst experienced was on LH A380 F when it was new. They did not managed to get it below 27C! SAS also have some issues with their A340/A330s where they are unable to get it below 25C in the C-cabin. Shorts and t-shirt is standard dress-code for me on those flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.