Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has it really come to this... QR J vs BA F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Has it really come to this... QR J vs BA F

When I think about it I am quite shocked and disappointed that i am seriously considering GOT/LHR/DOH/BJS on QR in J over BA in F (using a GUF). (And a direct flight from Lhr). Price is the same.

After two trips on QR this year. I totally love the planes, food, service and lounges (toasted sandwich anyone?). BA F even with CCR just seems old and boring. Better wine and champagne. But death of a thousand cuts.

Someone tell me I am silly and need to book BA F?

KF
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:12 am

Maybe I'm missing something but does QR really fly from GOT to DOH via LHR?

Matter of personal preference really - if your enjoyment of QR is such that an indirect flight works for you then go for it. When these threads have kicked off before the general sentiment seems to be that QR J and BA F are on a par.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Why are you shocked? It is your money and your choice. If you like QR so much and do not see any value in a quicker direct flight then it is perfectly sensible that you'd connect with a preferred carrier. Many people do it.

Last edited by Andriyko; Mar 11, 2017 at 5:51 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:32 am

Totally agree with Andriyko and simons1. If you love travelling with QR so much then go for it and enjoy! Why the need for a thread?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Got/lhr is on BA. Yes, I know it would be more sensible to connect in cph, arn or fra, but then those flights would not be on OW, so less TCs....

KF
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
You're silly and need to book BA.

There you go. In this case I mean it. Why go through all that hassle to fly a product that is more or less similar but not direct and not cheaper but with added risk and no interlining of luggage etc.?

So yes. Don't be silly and book BA.

Last edited by henkybaby; Mar 11, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:21 am

Unless you need tier points or the difference in price is compelling I don't really see why anyone would waste time with a convoluted route just because the service is a bit better. As much as j or f makes flying more pleasant you're still stuck in a plane, or in a lounge, or between them. I'd rather spend that time doing something else.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ppp909
...you're still stuck in a plane, or in a lounge, or between them. I'd rather spend that time doing something else.
So if you're gonna be stuck then you might as well be stuck somewhere you enjoy and many people don't see the lounge and flight experience as a means to an end like you do.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Got/lhr is on BA. Yes, I know it would be more sensible to connect in cph, arn or fra, but then those flights would not be on OW, so less TCs....

KF
Aah OK.

Personally I wouldn't change 1 flight into 3, but each to their own.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

No direct flights from GOT, so it is either 2 or 3 flights. (it is on a through ticket either way so no probs with interlining).

To be honest, I do not see flight as a method of transport. I still see it as a bit of an adventure and lounges sometimes have their appeal - at least for a glass of champagne or two.

(and yes I do a long haul once a month with a short haul or two in between).

Anyway I will probably book BA to give them another shot to impress in F.

KF
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When is the trip? I'd consider QR if the new QSuite was installed by my date of travel.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by techie
So if you're gonna be stuck then you might as well be stuck somewhere you enjoy and many people don't see the lounge and flight experience as a means to an end like you do.
Well exactly. The OP is clearly thinking along these lines so it's down to whether the different experience is so much better that it's worth the extra hassle. Some people will think it is and others won't. I'd be tempted by j on QR if it just means a layover in Doha but I wouldn't go out of my way.

As for the difference between the two products, it's been discussed to death and there's not a lot in it.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Someone tell me I am silly and need to book BA F?
Why?

Its your money, your choice. Everyone is entitled to chose who they spend their money with, and if you have decided that you prefer the Qatar Slaveways aircraft and service over BA, then be happy and go with it.

Sensationalising thread titles won't really help making the decision.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't go out my way for a toasted sandwich.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:15 am

henky's right.

Given the price is the same (crucial factor), you're taking a more convoluted route without the benefit of a better product. QR J is really nice - have flown it a few times and the whole experience beat's BA CW. But a comparison to BA F for a less logical routing to your destination? Nope.

FWIW, you mention the lounges. CCR is fine. It's not one of the world's top lounges but as a comparison, the QR J lounge in Doha is on par with it (although huge by size), so I wouldn't hang it on the QR lounge in this context.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.