Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 Hour Cooling Off Period

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
24 Hour Cooling Off Period

Evening all!

I haven't found a clear answer to this. Can I cancel a BA Avios RFS flight within 24 hours of booking FOC? What I mean is that will I get my Avios and RFS back?

My flight was was booked at 3pm today and isn't until 9am Saturday.

Thanks in advanced!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Yes, you can cancel an Avios RFS booking within 24 hours at no penalty. I have done so myself (before I was GGL).
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it's 24 hours, provided that at the point of cancellation it is still 24 hours from departure too. So in this case you're OK but obviously if you booked close in the period could be much shorter or even zero.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:36 pm

Call to cancel..24hr cooling off cancellations can only be actioned by calling.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:49 pm

I'm having trouble figuring if this same policy is still in effect as above (can cancel Avios redemption within 24 hours of making booking, as long as not canceling within 24 hours of flying).

I am having much harder time finding language about this on ba.com, but did run across language (seemingly oriented to revenue tickets) that allowed cancelation within 24 hours of making the booking, but excluded bookings for travel within the next week from this policy. I'd never seen that language before, so wondering whether it's new, and whether it applies to revenue tickets, Avios tickets, or both.

If this has been discussed in another thread, please also let me know that, as I've done a few searches but can't turn anything up.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I'm having trouble figuring if this same policy is still in effect as above (can cancel Avios redemption within 24 hours of making booking, as long as not canceling within 24 hours of flying).

I am having much harder time finding language about this on ba.com, but did run across language (seemingly oriented to revenue tickets) that allowed cancelation within 24 hours of making the booking, but excluded bookings for travel within the next week from this policy. I'd never seen that language before, so wondering whether it's new, and whether it applies to revenue tickets, Avios tickets, or both.

If this has been discussed in another thread, please also let me know that, as I've done a few searches but can't turn anything up.
This? https://www.britishairways.com/trave.../public/en_gb/ I don't think it has changed.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
So could somebody, in theory, make a cash booking 25hrs before a flight, and then cancel it at any point in the next 24hrs, taking you up to an hour before the flight? Thus making a last-minute cheap cash booking into a 'flexible' booking? As long as you haven't checked-in of course!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
So could somebody, in theory, make a cash booking 25hrs before a flight, and then cancel it at any point in the next 24hrs, taking you up to an hour before the flight? Thus making a last-minute cheap cash booking into a 'flexible' booking? As long as you haven't checked-in of course!
No. The cooling off period only last until 24 hours before the flight I believe so you would have one hour to cancel in your example.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
This? https://www.britishairways.com/trave.../public/en_gb/ I don't think it has changed.
Thanks.

I am now a bit concerned that perhaps they only changed it for US customers, as the language here is different:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave.../public/en_us/
The following types of booking are not covered by this guarantee:

Bookings made for travel less than one week from the date of purchase.
Most times I've used this in the past it's been for bookings within less than a week of travel, so I know I've never had a problem before, but also never seen different language for this on different country versions of the website.

Any US-based members have any experience here?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by cbagent
Call to cancel..24hr cooling off cancellations can only be actioned by calling.
Are you sure? I managed to do it on ba.com a few weeks back.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Lobengula
Are you sure? I managed to do it on ba.com a few weeks back.
It excplicity says on the linked page, you need to call so I wouldn't recommend trying to do it online. Doing it on ba.com is likely to incur the normal non-cooling off cancellation fees.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by KARFA
It excplicity says on the linked page, you need to call so I wouldn't recommend trying to do it online. Doing it on ba.com is likely to incur the normal non-cooling off cancellation fees.
I was very doubtful when I did this, and it was also because of long telephone queue. I went to ba.com, manage my booking and clicked on the cancellation options.

There it was explained that I will get a full refund so I clicked yes and money was in my account a week later. Now, I can't be sure if this was a cash ticket or a redemption so maybe it's different. I 100% sure though that this wasn't a flexible ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:05 am

It was on this page (which I only found doing an outside google search) that I saw language suggesting it could be canceled on ba.com as well:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s?p_faqid=4073
As such, I went through the steps to see what it quoted me if I chose to cancel immediately (it came back refunding Avios but not the RFS cash component).
Then I clicked on the Terms and Conditions link, which, in my case, brought up the page referencing one week where I remembered it being 24 hours.
In my case I did this to get the last seat on a flight next Tuesday, but as it was the middle of night last night, I still have to wait for my travel arranger to get back to me about a hotel in order to see if I can go Tuesday or instead need to book Monday. Naturally had impression I'd be able to cancel without penalty within 24 hours if I had to, but hopefully won't have to.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Just thought I'd update my own experience of this today. Yesterday (Thursday) at 19:30 I made a booking for a day return flight to VIE leaving this Saturday at 08:05, total cost £98. I knew I had 24hrs to cancel the booking so deadline would be 19:30 this evening (Friday). I changed my destination for BCN and have just booked a day trip for tomorrow instead. I just cancelled my booking for VIE, online, at 11:00 this morning, less than 24hrs before departure, for a full refund.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
I booked an one-way RFS on the app in the early hours of xmas day (could not sleep - did not want the opportunity to disappear...lol.) Knew I could cancel so slept on it. Decided the one-way cash for the return (specific flight to join the OH) was too much and part pay with similar amount of avios on a return fare a better deal overall. In website MMB, in all the links at the bottom of the booking, is "cancellation options..." and in one or two clicks you are done. Avios and cash refunded pretty much immediately or by the time I got round to checking - transactions all same day and to all accounts in Household Acct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.