Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 Hour Cooling Off Period

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Does the 24hr cooing off period apply to TA bookings?

This might seem like an odd question, but I have reason to book a flight (for cash) on a date that I don't want to travel on and it must be booked through a travel agent.
Does the 24hr cooling off period apply to TA bookings too, so that I can book then switch to a preferred date?
Many thanks
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No it doesn't. Or rather each travel agent is able to set their own terms here, and perhaps some do, or indeed should if the reservation is not ticketed immediately. In reality most will charge some fee for a cancellation, or simply provide no refund at all. But in essence the 24 hour rule is for direct flight purchase only, and doesn't cover BA Holidays bookings either if done online, depending on jurisdiction.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No it doesn't. Or rather each travel agent is able to set their own terms here, and perhaps some do, or indeed should if the reservation is not ticketed immediately. In reality most will charge some fee for a cancellation, or simply provide no refund at all. But in essence the 24 hour rule is for direct flight purchase only, and doesn't cover BA Holidays bookings either if done online, depending on jurisdiction.
Thanks very much for clarifying this c-w-s ... it sounds like it could be tricky to pull this one off so I'll just take the hit and book the most suitable flight from the outset.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Does anyone know if the 24 hour cooling off period applies to held flights for 72 hours? I've just paid for my flight ticket (it was a multi city) but now I'm thinking, if I can cancel, to re-book it in club europe..
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I don't think it does, no, but you can find out by doing a dummy cancellation on the website and seeing what the fees would be. From what I understand, the 72 hours is viewed as a cooling off period.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89
Does anyone know if the 24 hour cooling off period applies to held flights for 72 hours? I've just paid for my flight ticket (it was a multi city) but now I'm thinking, if I can cancel, to re-book it in club europe..
This post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29449146-post3.html by Cymro reports success in doing just that.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:35 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I don't think it does, no, but you can find out by doing a dummy cancellation on the website and seeing what the fees would be. From what I understand, the 72 hours is viewed as a cooling off period.
I don't think doing a dummy cancellation on BA.com will tell you anything. I believe that to cancel using the 24-hour rule you have to call BA to do the cancellation.

This is what BA.com says about their "Book with confidence" promise (my bolding):

If you notice a mistake with your booking after you have paid for your ticket(s), you can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without penalty, up to 24 hours from when you make the original booking.
Refunds under these circumstances can only be requested by calling our contact centres.
The following types of booking are not covered by this guarantee:
  • Bookings made for travel within 24 hours of booking.
  • Bookings where immediate payment is not required.
  • Package bookings or flights booked with hotels, car hire, transfers or experiences.
  • South African domestic only services, operated by Comair.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:41 am

I might give BA a call and see what they say!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89
It does.
cbagent and xmrbrightside89 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I've cancelled a few flights online in the 24 hour period online, so that works too. Interested to discover you can cancel after booking during the 72 hour hold.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Interested to discover you can cancel after booking during the 72 hour hold.
From the same thread as I referenced earlier, this post by corporate-wage-slave indicates you even get the deposit back! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29449159-post5.html

I know you forfeit the deposit after 72 hours, but it seems - I've never tried it - that if you complete the booking with 72 hours and then immediately cancel you can get it back. A loophole?

ETA: I suppose it makes sense really, after all they refund the deposit when you complete the booking, then they refund the booking when you cancel within 24 hours.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've cancelled a few flights online in the 24 hour period online, so that works too. Interested to discover you can cancel after booking during the 72 hour hold.
Booked a RFS this morning on BA.com and I now need to cancel it, in the past I have always had to call up to get the £35 back as you couldn't do that online, but it looks like I can now which is interesting....

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The full online refunds - RFS and revenue - started about 6 months ago, so long as you're not flying in the next few days or have already altered the booking / made the booking via a Contact Centre.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The full online refunds - RFS and revenue - started about 6 months ago, so long as you're not flying in the next few days or have already altered the booking / made the booking via a Contact Centre.
So am I right in thinking, after 24 hours the £35 refund will have disappeared and I will only be able to get the 8k Avios back?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
So am I right in thinking, after 24 hours the £35 refund will have disappeared and I will only be able to get the 8k Avios back?
Yes, that's right. I think they have tried to reduce Contact Centre workload by getting this to work correctly.
Gomac likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.