Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options on Possible Forced Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I didn't really push the next day option as I need to get back to work and other carriers would mean getting into CAI very late.
Just had a very interesting conversation with the Duty Manager who says they are oversold by one in business. I explained that they appeared to be choosing me for the downgrade on the basis that I had an Avios ticket and she absolutely and categorically confirmed that this was the case. Further discussed with her that this sort of action would severely damage the Avios brand which she again agreed would be the likely case.
The good news is that they are now offering 300 pounds "airport compensation" to go with the 75% etc which would make it more bearable. Still possible though that a no show will get me in J.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

double post

Last edited by Obruni Boy; Feb 20, 2017 at 9:08 am Reason: double post
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK, well it's one of the shorter flights I guess, still not so good for you, assuming there isn't a no-show. It's 75% of the leg sector plus the cash, but they are able to deduct any taxes that have to be paid on a Y ticket, so in practice the extra cash component may not be very big.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy

I didn't really push the next day option as I need to get back to work
OB - correct answer. You know I'm watching!

You should take my oft-repeated advice and fly QR (if I'm allowed to mention that airline on this forum ). These days BA CW LHR-CAI or vv is nigh on impossible to purchase a ticket for - I'm amazed you managed to get a CW reward at all.

I've visited site today and everything is looking good. HRSG #2 was in the process of being installed (that's a bit of tech talk)! Safe journey.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Phil the flyer - Did you get paid for that bit of advice
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Phil the flyer - Did you get paid for that bit of advice
PtF is pretty much Mr Egypt on FT!

M
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Ok now confirmed in Y, but 300 pounds on ATM card plus 75% etc received. Generally fair financially but terrible business sense. I now need to rethink everything regarding Avios collection.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

PtF is pretty much Mr Egypt on FT!

M
msm2000uk - I fear you overstate my credentials, despite my living and working in Egypt for 20+ years. I limit my FT input to airlines/hotels I place my custom with (primarily QR, BA, EY, Hilton). I'm sure there are others on FT better qualified than me when it comes to many Egypt-related queries.

Back on topic - I'm hoping that OB managed to win a last minute reprieve back to CW (edited to add - I see he didn't).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Wonder if we'll ever see the loads that would justify the 777/747 back on the CAI route ever again?

S
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is moving to a 787 in a few months.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Ok now confirmed in Y, but 300 pounds on ATM card plus 75% etc received. Generally fair financially
Glad you think that. Did you get the offer above in writing? If not, it's worth doing to make sure BA can't play games later.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:54 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is moving to a 787 in a few months.
Haven't tried a BA787 yet. Nearly had one at the end of this month but plans changed and back to the A321. If their Y seats are anything like (sshhhhh QR), would rather stick with the A321.

S
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Ok now confirmed in Y, but 300 pounds on ATM card plus 75% etc received. Generally fair financially but terrible business sense. I now need to rethink everything regarding Avios collection.
wel lat least you get a good result in the end, hope the flight is good and you enjoy your time in Egypt
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:51 am

A very fair result I think. Hope the £300 plus 75% takes the sting out of the downgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

be ha with that. Presumably if you were on a reward Y seat you would risk being bumped completely which would be far worse (and more damaging to the Avios brand)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.