Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

300,000 miles stolen from my Avios BA account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Today by chance I looked at my BA Executive account and was shocked to see that about 300,000 Avios points had disappeared.

I noticed that the points had been taken out last week for a stay at a hotel in Hungary.

I notified BA who are now investigating.My account will be blocked.

Has this ever happened to others? I find it pretty scary. Fortunately it was only one week ago. I only check my account about twice a year.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes it has. There are several previous threads covering this very issue.

I'd check your anti virus software etc and scan your computer.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
And if you use the same password anywhere else, better change it quick.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm really sorry to hear this. In addition to what was mentioned before it's also important to keep data such as your booking references and membership numbers safe. A lot of information can be gained just from a thrown away boarding pass, that can lead to fraud.

There was a fantastic talk about airline reservation systems' security recently, related to this, if anyone is interested: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-whe...armen_sandiego
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by blueparazol
There was a fantastic talk about airline reservation systems' security recently, related to this, if anyone is interested: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-whe...armen_sandiego
Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I was going to say that at least one passenger enjoyed the new BoB product

On a serious note, sorry to hear of the OP's situation, but I do think BA will sort this out eventually.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm just wondering about the practicality of doing this. I assume they had your password, allowing them to do the booking.

I know if someone books a reward flight, the total comes off immediately, so easy to spot and stop ahead of time (and leading to someone in handcuffs as they turn up to take the flight). But do hotel bookings not get taken off until after the stay is made? I know Hiltons take their points off at the time of booking, rather than at the time of stay. Is BAEC different?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Smid
. But do hotel bookings not get taken off until after the stay is made? I know Hiltons take their points off at the time of booking, rather than at the time of stay. Is BAEC different?
Hotel bookings come off nearly immediately, within a few hours.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
So was the stay taken or just booked, OP?

If not, seems as if the hackers bet on the hacked account owner not noticing....
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I do hope this gets sorted out. Frequent traveller accounts seem to be particularly prone to this these days. I keep an eye on mine at least twice a week. Watch out for your IHG Rewards accounts too, with their silly 1980s four digit passwords.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses.

The password came up automatically when I would put the account number. Also all I had to do was write 1 number and the whole account number would come up.

Maybe that is what caused it.

But fortunately I have never had problems with American, Alaska, United and Delta. Touch wood.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Concerto
their silly 1980s four digit passwords.
I am glad I'm not alone in my views on that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Thank you for your responses.

The password came up automatically when I would put the account number. Also all I had to do was write 1 number and the whole account number would come up.

Maybe that is what caused it.

But fortunately I have never had problems with American, Alaska, United and Delta. Touch wood.
Well that's a browser setting, not a BA default setting.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Well that's a browser setting, not a BA default setting.
Yep, was just about to comment on this. The only way that could have been the cause is if you lost possession of your laptop (or whichever device has remembered your password).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Today by chance I looked at my BA Executive account and was shocked to see that about 300,000 Avios points had disappeared.

I noticed that the points had been taken out last week for a stay at a hotel in Hungary.

I notified BA who are now investigating.My account will be blocked.

Has this ever happened to others? I find it pretty scary. Fortunately it was only one week ago. I only check my account about twice a year.
Bretteee...
Sorry to hear this.. It is scary. This is why I change my password once a month. It may sound a bit on the OCD side but it works for me...I hope that BA will give you back this Avois...Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.