FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   300,000 miles stolen from my Avios BA account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1815857-300-000-miles-stolen-my-avios-ba-account.html)

Bretteee Jan 16, 2017 11:21 pm

300,000 miles stolen from my Avios BA account

Today by chance I looked at my BA Executive account and was shocked to see that about 300,000 Avios points had disappeared.

I noticed that the points had been taken out last week for a stay at a hotel in Hungary.

I notified BA who are now investigating.My account will be blocked.

Has this ever happened to others? I find it pretty scary. Fortunately it was only one week ago. I only check my account about twice a year.

UKtravelbear Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Yes it has. There are several previous threads covering this very issue.

I'd check your anti virus software etc and scan your computer.

zeltergiset Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

And if you use the same password anywhere else, better change it quick.

blueparazol Jan 17, 2017 12:31 am

I'm really sorry to hear this. In addition to what was mentioned before it's also important to keep data such as your booking references and membership numbers safe. A lot of information can be gained just from a thrown away boarding pass, that can lead to fraud.

There was a fantastic talk about airline reservation systems' security recently, related to this, if anyone is interested: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-whe...armen_sandiego

florens Jan 17, 2017 12:37 am

Originally Posted by blueparazol (Post 27773669)
There was a fantastic talk about airline reservation systems' security recently, related to this, if anyone is interested: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-whe...armen_sandiego

Thank you.

South London Bon Viveur Jan 17, 2017 1:07 am

I was going to say that at least one passenger enjoyed the new BoB product:)

On a serious note, sorry to hear of the OP's situation, but I do think BA will sort this out eventually.

Smid Jan 17, 2017 1:39 am

I'm just wondering about the practicality of doing this. I assume they had your password, allowing them to do the booking.

I know if someone books a reward flight, the total comes off immediately, so easy to spot and stop ahead of time (and leading to someone in handcuffs as they turn up to take the flight). But do hotel bookings not get taken off until after the stay is made? I know Hiltons take their points off at the time of booking, rather than at the time of stay. Is BAEC different?

corporate-wage-slave Jan 17, 2017 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 27773842)
. But do hotel bookings not get taken off until after the stay is made? I know Hiltons take their points off at the time of booking, rather than at the time of stay. Is BAEC different?

Hotel bookings come off nearly immediately, within a few hours.

Smid Jan 17, 2017 2:12 am

So was the stay taken or just booked, OP?

If not, seems as if the hackers bet on the hacked account owner not noticing....

Concerto Jan 17, 2017 2:16 am

I do hope this gets sorted out. Frequent traveller accounts seem to be particularly prone to this these days. I keep an eye on mine at least twice a week. Watch out for your IHG Rewards accounts too, with their silly 1980s four digit passwords.

Bretteee Jan 17, 2017 7:28 am

Thank you for your responses.

The password came up automatically when I would put the account number. Also all I had to do was write 1 number and the whole account number would come up.

Maybe that is what caused it.

But fortunately I have never had problems with American, Alaska, United and Delta. Touch wood.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 17, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 27773915)
their silly 1980s four digit passwords.

I am glad I'm not alone in my views on that.

dodgeflyer Jan 17, 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Bretteee (Post 27774812)
Thank you for your responses.

The password came up automatically when I would put the account number. Also all I had to do was write 1 number and the whole account number would come up.

Maybe that is what caused it.

But fortunately I have never had problems with American, Alaska, United and Delta. Touch wood.

Well that's a browser setting, not a BA default setting.

mad_rich Jan 17, 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 27775205)
Well that's a browser setting, not a BA default setting.

Yep, was just about to comment on this. The only way that could have been the cause is if you lost possession of your laptop (or whichever device has remembered your password).

Flyiboy Jan 17, 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Bretteee (Post 27773440)
Today by chance I looked at my BA Executive account and was shocked to see that about 300,000 Avios points had disappeared.

I noticed that the points had been taken out last week for a stay at a hotel in Hungary.

I notified BA who are now investigating.My account will be blocked.

Has this ever happened to others? I find it pretty scary. Fortunately it was only one week ago. I only check my account about twice a year.

Bretteee...
Sorry to hear this.. It is scary. This is why I change my password once a month. It may sound a bit on the OCD side but it works for me...I hope that BA will give you back this Avois...Good luck