FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814441-buy-board-experiences-reactions-bas-shorthaul-economy-service.html)

Ldnn1 Mar 7, 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 28004584)
If we are suggesting alternatives, I can't comment on LHR's Boots specifically, but I suspect they have the same simple chicken&mayonnaise sandwich for £1 as others, which is sometimes discounted down to as low as 25p as the sell by date approaches... (BHX was my usual picking up point before my flybe flights).

LHR Boots do sell that sandwich. I'm a big fan. :)

orbitmic Mar 7, 2017 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit (Post 28004453)
Yeah, an easy choice. :rolleyes:

BA:
46 kg of hand luggage allowed (23 kg main + 23 kg laptop bag).
no free food

KL:
12 kg of hand luggage allowed (total)
but with free food

I know what I would choose ;)

I wouldn't go there: first the weight is never typically checked and if at all its on the main bag, and second, the moment you have any status, you get at free checked luggage on all kl y fares unlike a certain other airline for which HBO means HBO

BA6948 Mar 7, 2017 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 28007031)
I wouldn't go there: first the weight is never typically checked and if at all its on the main bag, and second, the moment you have any status, you get at free checked luggage on all kl y fares unlike a certain other airline for which HBO means HBO

I am also Gold with AF and On top of having a guaranteed luggage on mini fares I can still choose a seat for free although not the exit rows which cost money. But the experience is so much enjoyable than on BA short haul now. And yes I value the free snack and drink because it passes time and it is comforting when I fly 120+ sectors a year.

windowontheAside Mar 7, 2017 11:56 pm

How would you fit 23kg in the second bag? My slim laptop bag is just within the size limits and I'd struggle to get 5kg of stuff in it!

corporate-wage-slave Mar 8, 2017 1:04 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 28007115)
How would you fit 23kg in the second bag? My slim laptop bag is just within the size limits and I'd struggle to get 5kg of stuff in it!

Gold bullion? Two bars would take you over, 24cm x 8 cm x 4cm each bar, and 12.4 kgs each.

Smid Mar 8, 2017 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 28005098)
Well, of course, everyone is entitled to pass comment on food, however, some up the tread questioned other people's comments that they really enjoyed the sandwich and thought that it was the best. Now, people may disagree but they have no right to speak for other people. If some members here do not like the fact that BA now charges for food or that some passengers are actually quite happy to pay for a sandwich or a drink, it does not make them the ultimate authority on the subject. They may dislike BA but they have no right to tell other people not to like BA because they find free food/drinks such an inherent element of flying and can't understand why other people would choose a carrier that does not provide free food and drinks. We're all different.

My statement had absolutely nothing to do with whether I paid for my food on BA or not, or whether anyone does.

My statement was to say that to think that an M&S sandwich is even the best sandwich on the UK high street, rather than the best sandwich EVER eaten, seems completely false to me.

It is either:

1) A statement of satire.
2) Someone who has never eaten a sandwich from a shop before.

Let's give you a clue, the last one is unlikely. So I just pointed out what was my favourite sandwich.

This is the same sandwich pre BoB I might have typically bought before a BA flight because you only got a bag of nuts. BoB in this case is little different from pre BoB.

And for a matter of opinion, it's not even the best BoB sandwich I've tried in recent times. I'd avoid buying a sandwich before flying on flybe, and my mouth would be watering before they served me the cheese ploughmans on there.

plunet Mar 8, 2017 2:16 am

Customers were unable to buy what they wanted by the 4th row of ET last night on the way back from Bordeaux. Considering we had already sat on the tarmac for an hour which wasn't announced before we boarded and no food could be sold before we took off, there was some frustration.

Andriyko Mar 8, 2017 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 28007357)
My statement was to say that to think that an M&S sandwich is even the best sandwich on the UK high street, rather than the best sandwich EVER eaten, seems completely false to me.

Tastes differ. Nobody needs to prove to you why they like something. I find it bizarre that people feel that it's OK to say that it is false for someone to think that they find an M&S sandwich best. I don't think you can use words like 'false' in relation to someone's taste. It is all subjective. Nobody owns the truth when it comes to what people like or dislike or what they find best.

miamiflyer8 Mar 8, 2017 3:48 am

The crew could use tarmac delays to take orders and payment on the ground and deliver everything on a tray after take off.

No cart blocking and no anger over not being able to purchase anything.

ahmetdouas Mar 8, 2017 5:36 am

If I was BA, I would do a bidding system on the PA.

Who wants the last bacon roll available for ET?
We only have one available, so please put your hands out and give your best offer! Starting Price 5 GBP! Any offers over 100 GBP gets a free soft drink thrown in!

I certainly hope that BA isn't undersupplying the plane on purpose to make people feel 'lucky' to even get a sandwich and make them more amenable to paying for one next time!

scillyisles Mar 8, 2017 7:12 am

BA will naturally want to understock the plane so that they do not pay for unsold items so this understocking is here to stay.
As for the comments about the quality of M+S sandwiches, IMHO anyone who thinks M+S makes the best sandwiches in the world needs to get out more. When M+S sandwiches first came out they were indeed very good as was a lot of the M+S food range - nowadays the sandwiches and food range have all been value engineered and are not as good as they used to be.

miamiflyer8 Mar 8, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles (Post 28008293)
BA will naturally want to understock the plane so that they do not pay for unsold items so this understocking is here to stay.
As for the comments about the quality of M+S sandwiches, IMHO anyone who thinks M+S makes the best sandwiches in the world needs to get out more. When M+S sandwiches first came out they were indeed very good as was a lot of the M+S food range - nowadays the sandwiches and food range have all been value engineered and are not as good as they used to be.

+1. When in the UK, and am looking for a snack I find the nearest convenience store and get an M&S sandwich. They're decent enough.

But I certainly have had way better sandwiches in my life.

mrow Mar 8, 2017 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 28007654)
Tastes differ. Nobody needs to prove to you why they like something. I find it bizarre that people feel that it's OK to say that it is false for someone to think that they find an M&S sandwich best. I don't think you can use words like 'false' in relation to someone's taste. It is all subjective. Nobody owns the truth when it comes to what people like or dislike or what they find best.

So Simd shouldn't question someone's view that an M&S sandwich is the best sandwich they've ever had, but you're fine to question the veracity of brixton's recollection of an conversation they had on a KLM flight?

Just as nobody needs to prove to Simd why they like something, nobody needs to prove to you whether a conversation they were involved in happened exactly as stated.

This is an internet forum. The whole point is for there to be debate. In my mind I think that should involve a (healthy, and often light hearted) degree of questioning and possibly even poking fun.

Personally I think this forum would be pretty boring if everybody agreed.

BA or bust Mar 8, 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mrow (Post 28009762)
Personally I think this forum would be pretty boring if everybody agreed.

^

tom139 Mar 8, 2017 1:48 pm

Recently travelled LHR-ATH-LHR, outbound on 763, inbound on 321. On both sectors, CE service suffered as on the 767 they had to use 3 crew in CE to support BOB and the CSD did 9 rows of CE alone on the 321...