Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Contactless is a good question. That is the way I would expect to be able to pay, but it's daft they don't take cash. I just rejected a number of bookings in favour of SWISS and easyJet, simply because they were cheaper and provide better service!! Never thought I'd see myself write that about easyJet! Additionally, easyJet have an offer whereby if you pay in advance and buy a voucher you can save 20% on inflight BoB purchases. Way to go!!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
what is the new crew announcement? Previous was something like: 'our customers in all cabins will be offered complimentary food and drink' or something to that effect, just curious what has replaced it?
From tonight's flight:

We will shortly be starting our on-board service.

If you're seated in our Club Europe cabin we will be offering you a complimentary meal and drinks from the bar.

In our Euro Traveller cabin we have a great selection of food and drinks available to buy. You'll find details of today's Marks and Spencer on-board menu in the seat pocket in front of you. Payment can be made by using either a debit or credit card or for Executive Club members we also accept Avios points.

We'll shortly be coming through the cabin to take your orders for any hot items.

If there's anything we can do to make your flight more comfortable please let us know by visiting us in the galley or using the call button.

Last edited by CloudGazer; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:59 am Reason: Club World is not Club Europe!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
From tonight's flight:
Thanks!! And the announcement is less over the top than I feared which is good! ('great' is mild comparatively).

ps: I presume the begining should read Club Europe!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Re: LCY and timing of introduction of BoB. I've booked a flight for the end of May and it's telling me 'food and drink for purchase onboard', so I assume they're bringing it in during late Spring.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Regarding the question around triple avios if purchased on your BA AMEX card. Does one get triple points for duty free purchases? My understanding is the same partner offering duty free is also the merchant of record for BoB, so I would expect the latter to follow the former.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
From tonight's flight:
So debit cards after all? Confused.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by florens
Debit cards (as in visa debit, mc debit, etc) are fine it's just prepaid cards which aren't.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Debit cards (as in visa debit, mc debit, etc) are fine it's just prepaid cards which aren't.
Ok. I thought to have read last night that debit cards were not fine. Not sure in which thread though. It's hard to keep track of everything!

Edit. Ah this was clarified here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27745128-post2766.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok. I thought to have read last night that debit cards were not fine. Not sure in which thread though. It's hard to keep track of everything!
In the UK it is pretty hard for a merchant to distinguish between credit and debit cards if they are on the Visa/MC network.

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Re: LCY and timing of introduction of BoB. I've booked a flight for the end of May and it's telling me 'food and drink for purchase onboard', so I assume they're bringing it in during late Spring.
I suspect that is a mistake.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Debit cards will mostly work, but banks have the option to disable payments by their cards when online authorisation isn't possible, such as on a plane. This setting is card by card and normally used for customers who are considered a poor credit risk such as those issued for basic bank accounts. Any such cards will not be able to be used on board. Nor, in all likelihood, will Apple Pay be accepted even when contactless starts to work.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by stifle
Debit cards will mostly work, but banks have the option to disable payments by their cards when online authorisation isn't possible, such as on a plane. This setting is card by card and normally used for customers who are considered a poor credit risk such as those issued for basic bank accounts. Any such cards will not be able to be used on board. Nor, in all likelihood, will Apple Pay be accepted even when contactless starts to work.
From what I am aware, apple pay is exactly the same as contactless without the payment limit, so i don't see why it wouldn't be accepted.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

Avios 'points'? Brand will have a conniption!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is the M&S On Board pamphlet - "your in-flight food and drink menu" in full, it should be found in the seat back pockets on those services offering the buy on board service.

Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:10 pm

Interesting how Bronze,Silver, and Gold don't need the app. I guess this casts doubt on the "wiggle the app" suggestions as a way to verify people's Avios balance. Presumably they're relying on anyone with status making up the Avios later (if not in credit).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is the tonic water served with ice and lemon? If we bring our own miniatures, can we get a convenient G&T for a cheap £1.50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.