Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is an information based guide for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, focusing specifically on information for what is available for purchase and how to buy items from the menu. The first post has the current menu and an FAQ, by all means ask other questions if not already answered. This thread is not concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce buy on board.

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (January 2021) can be found in post #189

Menu archive:
January-March 2020 menu post 153
October-December 2019 menu post 5 (separate thread)
May-September 2019 menu post 150
January-April 2019 menu post 144
September-December 2018 menu post 125
May-September 2018 menu post 115
January-April 2018 menu post 112
Autumn/Winter 2017 menu post 94
Summer 2017 menu post 91
January 2017 menu post 43
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
On my last BA short-haul flight a few days ago, the announcement was a mumbled ... "We blahblah CASH and blah blah CREDIT CARDS blah AVIOS". I heard at least 6 people around me order stuff and try to pay with cash.
They need to change the wording of the announcement or at least change which words they emphasise.
The form used on my flight this evening was:
"Great selection of snacks....you can pay with credit or debit card. For our Exec Members you can use Avios. We don't accept cash or pre-paid cards".

I have a sneaking feeling the problem isn't the wording or the delivery, simply the fact that no one pays any attention. Can't really blame that one on BA.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Thanks KARFA, that tapas looks nice! I will probably order it if they have it in stock on my LHR-IST-LHR run in Feb although I am row 22 so good luck for that. Does it work to tell the cabin crew I want something specific when boarding and to spare one for me in row 22?
Yes, you can ask the crew to save it for you. Ex-LHR it probably won't be necessary, possibly might be ex-IST.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
BoB menu for January - April 2020
I like the look of that, there's a lot of things I'd be happy eating, and I don't think the prices are excessive. I'd prefer a lot of that to the CE offering. I din't know what the chances are of getting anything if you're at the back of the plane, so while I used ot be happy sitting at the back if it looked like a quiet flight I now try to sit as near the front as possible.

My partner will be very happy that the Speedbird IPA is still available.

I wonder when the prosecco fad will end? I love Freixenet cava but hate the fact they've had to dumb down to prosecco to meet popular demand.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Better stick with your Plan A from another thread and take a Burger King on board. A guy bought one into Club back from Spain on my flight yesterday and it smelled SO good
yeah ex-ist will prob do that, ex-lhr options are limited, i will eat a lot in the lounge as much as I can eat and would rather not take pret on board so may get one of those tapas things and burn a bit of avios.

would be nice if BA can allow part avios part cash paying! I see no use for my avios otherwise and prob don't have enough for a tapas sandwich.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:01 pm
WLX

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Better stick with your Plan A from another thread and take a Burger King on board. A guy bought one into Club back from Spain on my flight yesterday and it smelled SO good
Did crew offer to plate up the Whopper for the gentleman? Or perhaps they had another suggestion of where he could put it.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by WLX
Did crew offer to plate up the Whopper for the gentleman? Or perhaps they had another suggestion of where he could put it.
I don't think whatever burger it was lasted longer than the boarding process. Crew didn't seem to be concerned. Almost as though (dare I say it) they see it often.

I have to admit to being somewhat envious and ravenous having set out early without breakfast, not much in the way of third party lounge fodder and looking forward to a band 3 lunch which didn't quite hit the mark appreciation wise when the menus were handed out. The char-grilled scent definitely made my stomach rumble.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
At least they cleared up the afternoon tea confusion.
florens and WLX like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
after a number of chats with my bestest bestest mate in the world who is a Purser on SH and sometimes works down the back along with my own experience, I offer this simple guide:

* first few rows - some sandwiches and hot food. Card Machine may work
* next four rows - limited food availability and 50/50 that the crew don't scowl at the card machine, shake, it, swap it over or pass to a colleague for that "magic touch"
* Middle section - scraps of food no one else fancied when they looked at it. Machine will eventually burst into life.
* next 4 rows - "Sir / Madam- I'll keep this simple - this is all I have left. Kit kats and Percy pigs." Who cares about fhe card machine at this point
* last 4 rows - watch the cart pass you at speed with despondent crew at "20 mins to landing" Card machine now working well but no time to sell anything

Please note that on holiday destinations its worse with 4 sandwiches loaded and for return flights, hope the OB crew didn't break into the hidden stash for the next flight

Simples !!

How BA and their 3rd party BoB caterer get it so wrong this far into rollout is beyond me. Frankly if Easyjet and Jet2 can manage it - it says something about BA's competence in this matter and unwillingness to sort it. Throwing away food on the last flight of the day - I get it! But then why not take a risk and pass on the unsold to the nearest homeless charity. Many sandwich chains do this on a daily basis so the food doesn't go to waste.

'
SK, florens, ttama and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:38 pm

BA will no doubt continue to feed us a line that BOB has been a resounding success and that over 90% of passengers are extremely satisfied. And that may well
be true.

But when will frequent passengers flying BA shorthaul economy realise that they really need to either take their food on board or eat before getting on the flight to avoid disappointment and to get something that meets their dietary needs. If I want a plant based lunch on my flight, it’s up to me to make sure I get one before boarding or when I land, I think. Think of the diversity of every row now - Mr X in 17A has a nut allergy, Mrs Y in 17B is a strict vegan and Ms Z in 17C is enjoying her meat packed Pret sandwich, 17D is on a no sugar diet, 17E is on his third packet of Percy Pigs and 17F is fasting.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by kaizenflying; Jan 6, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Prospero
Calling all ye tomato juice lovers

You may have noticed there isn’t a tomato juice on the BOB menu. There is however a pre-mixed spiced tomato juice concoction. Its called Big Tom and you may already be aware of it as you’ll find Big Tom in most supermarkets in the UK. It even carries the Royal Warrant.

So if you order a Big Tom, you’ll receive a 150ml serving plus the usual cup loaded with ice and lemon. There is no option to add a dash of Lea & Perrins.

My own verdict: Big Tom lacks the freshness of the old Sunpride Tomato Juice (with the familiar ice, spice, n slice accoutrement). Its also very high in sodium - five times higher than Sunpride. As a matter of fact I found it also tastes incredibly salty and after drinking, it knokcked my tastebuds a little out of whack - to restore balance I’ve been chugging stupid amounts of water all evening.

The 150ml serving costs £1.50 or 200 Avios. Order with caution
It’s a Bloody Mary mix, not sold as a tomato juice drink. Put some vodka in?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC
I think a Hot Breakfast or Breakfast Muffin would go down well with customers, especially on the longer sectors. The current menu is good for 1-2 hour flights but LCA, TFS, IST etc need more substantial catering.

Am I correct in thinking the Bacon Roll was axed due to a packaging safety issue and not poor uptake?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:56 am
WLX

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Am I correct in thinking the Bacon Roll was axed due to a packaging safety issue and not poor uptake?
I would be amazed if British Airways had poor uptake of a bacon roll.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by BAeuro

You might be thinking of CityFlyer where bacon rolls were temporarily withdrawn for a few days couple of months ago for this reason.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SKRan
It’s a Bloody Mary mix, not sold as a tomato juice drink. Put some vodka in?
i tried the current Longbottom & Co Bloody Mary mix (sans vodka) the other day. It has a heavy horseradish note which I liked. I still prefer the old school crew mixed ‘ice, slice, n spice” version though.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by KARFA
BoB menu for January - April 2020

Whoops.

"We apologise. Our choice of sandwich for the front cover of the January - April 2020 BOB menu was not available. All we had left was the cheapo veggie one, so you'll have to make do with that"
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
BA will no doubt continue to feed us a line that BOB has been a resounding success and that over 90% of passengers are extremely satisfied. And that may well
be true.

But when will frequent passengers flying BA shorthaul economy realise that they really need to either take their food on board or eat before getting on the flight to avoid disappointment and to get something that meets their dietary needs. If I want a plant based lunch on my flight, it’s up to me to make sure I get one before boarding or when I land, I think. Think of the diversity of every row now - Mr X in 17A has a nut allergy, Mrs Y in 17B is a strict vegan and Ms Z in 17C is enjoying her meat packed Pret sandwich, 17D is on a no sugar diet, 17E is on his third packet of Percy Pigs and 17F is fasting.
A few airlines offer ala carte menu onboard for economy. Look at Austrian where you can pre-order a Shnitzel on a 2 hour flights.

A solution would be for BA to introduce a pre-order menu including some healthy plant based meals as well as Bacon rolls.

I would give thumbs up for the drink selection. It is pretty good imho. Some European Airlines even manage to sell smoothies (in a can) but I know I would be asking for too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.