FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2017 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1812055-your-guide-executive-club-attaining-status-earning-avios-2017-edition.html)

webmongaz Apr 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi all, very quick question. I am currently Gold but it seems very unlikely I will reach 1500 TP before my year end. What will happen then? Thanks...

PETER01 Apr 16, 2017 3:06 am

Originally Posted by webmongaz (Post 28184971)
Hi all, very quick question. I am currently Gold but it seems very unlikely I will reach 1500 TP before my year end. What will happen then? Thanks...

Welcome to Flyertalk webmongaz and specifically here over at the BA Forum.

If you don't achieve 1500 TP's you wil drop down to Silver for the next year of which is called a 'soft landing' and your TP's will reset to 0 as normal.

So, at least you will still have status and still not a bad level to be at with free seat selection, access to business class lounges etc.

There is more info here on the BA Forum Dashboard, full of great info on BA and oneworld and which is on the main page.

See post #4 for reference to the soft landing.

If you fail to accrue the number of Tier Points (or meet the requisite number of eligible flights) needed to retain your current level, you will drop to the level immediately below. This is often referred to as the soft landing.

BA Forum Dashboard

nhezhen Apr 16, 2017 7:42 am

Hi! A newbie with Ba. I have managed to get from blue to silver with BA over the last 1 year. Just obtained 645 tier points so far. My collection year ends on 8 June 2017 and I understand that my Silver will last till 8 June 2018. However on my BA app, it now shows that I am a silver and I need to fly another 4 more flights to maintain silver. What does this maintainence mean? Is the maintainence for June 2017-2018 or? Does it not automatically last till 2018. I presume to maintain it till 2019 I would need to chalk up another 600 tier points next year and e qualifying flights for the next tier year?
Am based in asia for now so wont be able to hit 4 ba metal from now till June to maintain my status.

Agent69 Apr 19, 2017 2:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28080019)
Your membership year will always run from 9th of a month.

In terms of the specific month it will start, I think the timing depends upon when you credit your first flight. From memory, I think it will set as the (th of the month following the credit, so if your first flight was credited in July 2017, your membership year will then be set as 9 August 2017 to 8 August 2018.

Please can you clarify what first flight being credited means?

I am looking to join BAEC and trying to understand how the membership year works. Does it start when you sign up, when you book your first ticket, or when you have taken your first flight.

KARFA Apr 19, 2017 2:55 am

Please can you clarify what first flight being credited means?
The date the first flight you actually credit to BAEC is posted to your account.

As noted you can join but your membership year only becomes set when the above happens.

fransknorge Apr 19, 2017 3:09 am

First flight means first flight which will credit to the scheme, so first eligible flight. The membership years start the 8th of the month following your first credited flight.

Agent69 Apr 19, 2017 4:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28199253)
The date the first flight you actually credit to BAEC is posted to your account.

As noted you can join but your membership year only becomes set when the above happens.

Thanks for that. So it's the date that the first set of TP'S hit your account that starts the clock ticking.

Great_circle Apr 22, 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by nhezhen (Post 28185966)
Hi! A newbie with Ba. I have managed to get from blue to silver with BA over the last 1 year. Just obtained 645 tier points so far. My collection year ends on 8 June 2017 and I understand that my Silver will last till 8 June 2018. However on my BA app, it now shows that I am a silver and I need to fly another 4 more flights to maintain silver. What does this maintainence mean? Is the maintainence for June 2017-2018 or? Does it not automatically last till 2018. I presume to maintain it till 2019 I would need to chalk up another 600 tier points next year and e qualifying flights for the next tier year?
Am based in asia for now so wont be able to hit 4 ba metal from now till June to maintain my status.

That is what the BA app does, I recently achieved Gold and the contributing BA-flights have already been reset to 0 by the app, stating 4 flights needed although it's still the same membership year. As far as I know you do not need to do those 4 flights before the start of your new membership year to retain status but during the new membership year, in your case, between 8 june 2017 and 8 june 2018.

FIRSTclstraveller Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28079888)
The short answer to this is that an extension of 2 weeks is routinely granted, but no more.

Rather disappointed that I received an email back from BAEC declining a request for a 2 week extension. I know it's not a given right but it would seem that unofficial policy isn't evenly applied given previous comments on this forum :(

KARFA Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am

Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller (Post 28223432)
Rather disappointed that I received an email back from BAEC declining a request for a 2 week extension. I know it's not a given right but it would seem that unofficial policy isn't evenly applied given previous comments on this forum :(

Why did you need an extension? They are routinely given for status acquisition. Did you call to request?

FIRSTclstraveller Apr 24, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28223459)
Why did you need an extension? They are routinely given for status acquisition. Did you call to request?

Yes, it was for status acquisition. I am short of tier points which I will achieve within the 2 week extension period requested. I emailed. Should I try and phone after I've flown?

Globaliser Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller (Post 28223467)
Yes, it was for status acquisition. I am short of tier points which I will achieve within the 2 week extension period requested. I emailed. Should I try and phone after I've flown?

Yes. I think that the general advice here is that you will need to fly all the TPs first, and within the 2-week period, and then ask again.

If you are still refused at that point, then I think we'd welcome knowing about it because it would be out of line with the usual reported experience.

FIRSTclstraveller Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28223564)
Yes. I think that the general advice here is that you will need to fly all the TPs first, and within the 2-week period, and then ask again.

If you are still refused at that point, then I think we'd welcome knowing about it because it would be out of line with the usual reported experience.

Thanks Globaliser, will give that a try ^

squawk Apr 25, 2017 5:59 am

Having recently qualified for Bronze, I was quite surprised to see a Bronze welcome pack drop through my letterbox without me requesting one - I was under the impression from something I read on FT that you had to specifically order one in My Executive Club. Enclosed were a Bronze membership card and two luggage tags!

As the benefits of Bronze are almost exclusively "automatic" (25% Avios, T-7 seat reservations) I was surprised - the only use I can see for a physical membership card would be to access business class check-in. And the tags seem a little excessively "DYKWIA" given the rather lowly benefits :D Am I just missing something?

Secondly, what am I to expect when I hit Silver in a few months? Will a Silver welcome pack be winging its way to me automatically, or would I have to request it? It strikes me that would be more useful, particularly the card for lounge entry...

Tocsin Apr 25, 2017 8:56 am

squawk - Mrs T has gone from Blue - Bronze - Silver in the last few months. Unrequested, she got a pack for both Bronze and Silver, including tags and card in both cases. Not likely to hit Gold, though :) - hope that helps!