Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 710 77345
What would be interesting would be to see the number of BA cancellations by day, vs all other airlines by day.
You could get that information off this site I think http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ortQueryType=0
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There must be a limit for the effects that weather can have to deny EC261 compensation claims.

There is a point where the elements within its own control result in liability even if the pressures of standard winter weather caused their flying programmes to disintegrate. My delay today is caused by the carrier not having enough aircraft in their hub to operate the flight due to yesterdays disruption resulting in a missed connection & not holding my connecting flight for a short period to ensure my connection. They could have decided to cancel other services, charter aircraft, use larger aircraft, rebook to OAL, all which could reduce an eligible delay by way of the 3hr+ marker.

You could imagine a situation where crewing hours could have been adversely affected which results in delays and cancellations for days after a weather event, the imagination could stretch to overdue maintenance and many other things.

I don't have any issue with carriers balancing their risks in order to limit liability. Why delay 50 pax for the sake of one, it only costs his/her compensation payment. The purpose of EC261 means pax like myself don't get shafted with nothing, even if we were just a victim of the principle to inconvenience the least number of pax which also costs the carrier the least.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hugolover
There is a point where the elements within its own control result in liability even if the pressures of standard winter weather caused their flying programmes to disintegrate. My delay today is caused by the carrier not having enough aircraft in their hub to operate the flight due to yesterdays disruption resulting in a missed connection & not holding my connecting flight for a short period to ensure my connection. They could have decided to cancel other services, charter aircraft, use larger aircraft, rebook to OAL, all which could reduce an eligible delay by way of the 3hr+ marker.
Yes, and my reading of EC261 supports this view point. The key words in the Regulation being "all reasonable measures", not "some reasonable measures". If a passenger were to show that an airline could have done more to assist the passenger then the airline would have to show the course of action is unreasonable. Chartering an aircraft may fall into the unreasonable category, but rebooking on an alternative route or airline seems reasonable to me, particularly to avoid a long delay. Moreover, if there is a conflict between the passenger and the airline's perspectives, then the Regulation has a clear bias: "Action by the [former European] Community in the field of air transport should aim, among other things, at ensuring a high level of protection for passengers"
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MLE1
Dear All,
Just checking if I am insane and what my next step should be. Please let me know what you guys think.

On November 2nd I went with my best friend to Abu Dhabi (Fairmont hotel = great!) to do nothing (drinking).

Routing
Outbound: AMS-LHR-AUH on Nov. 2nd.
Inbound: AUH-LHR-AMS Nov. 6st at 2.05 am.
The AUH-LHR flight was cancelled and rerouted from DXB.

On Friday November 3rd at 3.45 pm I received an email our flight (BA0072) was cancelled. We were put on the 2 pm flight from DXB, also on November 6th.
I Called BA: reason of cancellation was unknown. Only other option was same 2 am flight on November 5th or same flight on November 8th.
Arrived more then 12 hours later in AMS on November 6th.

A week later I filed an expenses claim and a separate EC/261 claim.
Expenses claim was awarded but EC/261 was not. BA is not taking responsibility because of technical failure.

Within 10 days after I filed for both (separately) I received he following reply:

"Dear Sir Rambo,

Thanks for your recent emails about your flight from Abu Dhabi on 06 November in Club World. I know how stressful it can be when your flight’s cancelled, mainly because you have to change all your plans. You certainly don’t expect this to happen when you fly with us and I’m sorry we let you and Mr Chuck Norris down.

I’m afraid however, your compensation claim’s been refused because BA0072 on 06 November 2017 was cancelled because of technical reasons, which wasn’t caused by British Airways and prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
To explain further, there’s currently an issue with the Rolls Royce engines on all B787 aircraft. British Airways and all other airlines operating these aircraft are therefore under instruction from Boeing to remove these aircraft from service for further inspection. I’m afraid this was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. We’re very sorry the cancellation was necessary in this case.

Of course, we’ll fully cover your hotel, food and transport expenses you had as a result. I’ve therefore arranged a refund of €1,2 Million to your bank account and this will be with you shortly.

Thanks again for getting in touch with us so we could explain the background. We value your loyalty as a Gold member of our Executive Club and I hope you enjoy your flight with us in February. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards

Pamela Anderson”

Am I wrong to say these technical reasons are not “extraordinary circumstances”?
And/or is this technical issue sincere and is it a serious reason that BA would not be liable for the compensation?

BTW. Common sense tells me BA had more then enough time to find another aircraft.

Looking forward to what you guys think and/or advice what my next step should be or that I just let it be...

Thanks a lot!
M.
How have you got on challenging them on this? My flight was cancelled and this was the response.....

Thanks for your email. I'm so sorry for the disruption caused to you both by the cancellation of your recent flight to San Jose. I've tried to call, but unfortunately was unable to reach you.

Unfortunately, your claim’s been refused because BA0279 on 30 November was cancelled because of operational circumstances outside of our control. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I understand the communication surrounding the cancellation was lacking and I apologise for this. I've passed your comments through to our Customer Experience team who I know will appreciate your insight as a frequent flyer and Silver member of the Executive Club.

They used the terms operational reasons? for which i have gone back to ask them if they can give further details.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I have a bit of an interesting one (hopefully):

My LUX-LHR (BA419) evening flight was cancelled on Sunday evening due to the Heathrow meltdown knock-on effect (other flights to other London airports were operating, albeit with some delay).
I was never told about the cancellation via e-mail/phone (had to check the app manually); the re-booking option was not available online and call centre was unavailable so I spent the best part of three hours at the airport in the queue to get re-ticketed (I believe I can complain about this separately, maybe for some Avios?).
I was re-booked onto Luxair's Monday evening flight (LG4597) which was then cancelled due to Ops (they then re-booked me onto this morning's Luxair flight).

Am I entitled to compensation for the second cancelled flight? Should I be filing the complaint with Luxair? Should I even try filing a complaint with BA at this point?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I need some help locating documentation about the reason that BA 85 was delayed yesterday (Monday). When I got on the plane nearly 3 hours late I asked multiple crew members and they told me it was because the original airplane went technical and we had to wait for a replacement. The pilot made a similar announcement while apologizing to us as the doors were being closed up. Any idea where I can search for and find documentation of the reason behind the delay for this flight?
The flight was about four hours and 15 minutes late to landing in Vancouver last night, so I believe I qualify for €600 and plan to make a submission. But I wholly expect that BA will decline it and claim weather was the cause, when I know from talking to the crew it simply was not. The crew told me that they were called in on time to board the plane and it was only once they arrived at the airport that they were informed of the aircraft swap being required.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stephem
I need some help locating documentation about the reason that BA 85 was delayed yesterday (Monday). When I got on the plane nearly 3 hours late I asked multiple crew members and they told me it was because the original airplane went technical and we had to wait for a replacement. The pilot made a similar announcement while apologizing to us as the doors were being closed up.
FWIW, this is what has come out of ExpertFlyer:-
Code:
DOBA85/11DEC
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA  85   -1 MO 11DEC17   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

LHR  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                2140            
     LEFT THE GATE                              2154            
     TOOK OFF                                   2215            
     DELAY ZY                                                   
     DELAY ZD                                                   
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  2328     YVR    
YVR  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            2324            
     ARRIVED                                    2335
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by koyote
Am I entitled to compensation for the second cancelled flight? Should I be filing the complaint with Luxair? Should I even try filing a complaint with BA at this point?
That would be Luxair to whom you would complain. It's always the operating airline. If it was weather related (not sure what Ops means in this context) then you won't get anything.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
FWIW, this is what has come out of ExpertFlyer:-
Code:
DOBA85/11DEC
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 85 -1 MO 11DEC17
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2140
LEFT THE GATE 2154
TOOK OFF 2215
DELAY ZY
DELAY ZD
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2328 YVR
YVR AIRCRAFT LANDED 2324
ARRIVED 2335
Thanks for that info, neither of these seem related to mechanical, so I suspect that BA have just tried to slide this in with all the other "weather-related" delays. I submitted a request today via the form with notes of comments that their staff made about the mechanical nature of the delay, but fully expect to get rejected in the initial review. I have a number of other things to get reimbursed for (hotels, train, etc) that I care about more and will submit separately... But still would appreciate EUR600 for all the hassles I endured, topped off by being dropped in Vancouver at nearly midnight!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That would be Luxair to whom you would complain. It's always the operating airline. If it was weather related (not sure what Ops means in this context) then you won't get anything.
Aye, there's the rub AY or Norra, BA or Luxair?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
What is the view on this forum in respect of flights that were cancelled ex-LHR on the evening of Monday 11th Dec? Is that still weather related or at which point after the Monday morning snow does one have a reasonable crack at compensation and argue it was not extraordinary circumstances anymore?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
What is the view on this forum in respect of flights that were cancelled ex-LHR on the evening of Monday 11th Dec? Is that still weather related or at which point after the Monday morning snow does one have a reasonable crack at compensation and argue it was not extraordinary circumstances anymore?
There is a bit of a split of opinion on what BA should do, but little difference of opinion on what they will do. For the former, many of us who were there on Sunday think BA is placing too much blame on the weather and not enough on their own system failures which effectively lead to this thing having lasting impacts for 2 if not 3 days. I would say that much of the delays/cancellations yesterday would have been avoided if BA had proper systems in place to have kept the amplification of effects from happening long after things should have been sorted. So long after de-icing delays, BA couldnt get things back up and running in my view. But rather than regurgitate those arguments, I'll concede that unless your delay on Monday was in fact due to mechanical issues (as mine was) then I assume BA are going to send you packing and claim weather/etc.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:12 pm

Bad CEDR decision.

Originally Posted by Tim_T
Received notification today from CEDR.
Not unexpectedly, I lost at CEDR for flight cancellation due to MF cabin crew strike.
Reasons given are below. I don't agree with it, especially point 10 which is not true. I also don't understand points 9 and 12, why cancelling 4 days in advance is reasonable grounds for denying EC261 since there is no requirement for this point in the regs other than within 2 weeks. I believe CEDR has ignored most of my evidence and sided strongly with BA. I'm not surprised to be honest.

I hope this helps others.
Tim_T

Reasons for decision

1. The passenger claims compensation pursuant to Article 7 Regulation 261 for the cancellation of the Flight. The airline submits the Flight was cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances and the Flight compensation is therefore not payable.

2. The airline submits the Flight was cancelled on 23 August 2017 due to planned and actual industrial action by its Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew.

3. Recital 14 of Regulation 261 provides “ As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.”

4. I am mindful of the Civil Aviation Authority’s non-binding list of the types of incident that may qualify as extraordinary circumstances inclusive of industrial relations issues. Industrial relations issues are described as strikes that affect the operation of an air carrier. For example strikes by airport staff, ground handlers, or air traffic control. Given that the CAA is the National Enforcement Body (NEB) for Regulation 261, I find it is reasonable to attach weight to its opinions in this matter.

5. I find in order for the strike action by the airline’s own employees to qualify as an extraordinary circumstance the airline would have to evidence that the industrial action by its Mixed Fleet Cabin crew was not inherent in its normal operating activities and beyond its control.

6. The airline submits that to avoid the strike action it undertook extensive negotiations with the union representing its Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew. The negotiations had been extensive but failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion. There was a union ballot by the airline’s Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew, which came out in favour of strike action.

7. In view of the above, I find that the airline was not directly in control of the industrial action by its Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew nor was the strike action inherent in the normal activity of the airline and qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

8. The burden however is on the airline to prove that it took all reasonable measures to avoid the cancellation of the Flight. The airline submits it put in place extensive contingency planning and has 400 volunteer staff trained to operate as full time cabin crew in situations such as cabin crew strikes. The airline contends that despite all of its planning it could not operate all its flights as scheduled on 27 August 2017 and the Flight had to be cancelled.

9. To keep the passenger’s disruption to a minimum the airline cancelled the Flight 4 days in advance. The airline submits this allowed the passenger more re-routing options and an increased chance of departing an arriving closer to his originally scheduled time. The airline initially automatically re-routed the passenger on flights AA5761 Houston Airport (HOU) to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), AA80 DFW - LHR and BA1488 LHR - Glasgow Airport (GLA) on 23 August 2017 evidenced by the screenshot of the passenger’s record booking. The passenger contacted the airline and advised the alternative flights were not suitable. The airline submits it discussed other options with the passenger and re-routed the passenger on flight BA288 from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) to LHR to connect to the already booked flight BA1488.

10. Further, the airline submits that prior to and during the strike action plans and processes were put in place to minimise the disruption inclusive of leasing other aircraft and crews from other aircraft operators. The airline submits that tight restrictions by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) govern wet leasing and the airline for example is restricted from only wet leasing from the approved “white list” and can lease from an airline for a maximum 3 consecutive days in any 28 day period. This includes aircraft from within its own group.

11. Additionally the airline submits it made a special effort to encourage Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew to work as usual and offered support and assistance to those who did come to work.

12. I find that cancelling the flight four days in advance reasonable in the circumstances. The airline upon finding out the initial flights the passenger was rebooked on did not meet the passenger’s needs, reasonably rebooked the passenger without delay onto more suitable flights at the passengers request, which caused the least disruption to the passenger.

13. I find the airline has sufficiently evidenced that the cancellation was caused due to extraordinary circumstances and the airline took all reasonable measures in the circumstances. I find the airline is not liable to pay Regulation 261 compensation to the passenger.

Decision

● The passenger’s claim does not succeed.
Hi Tim,

This comes too late for your case at CEDR, but it turns out that deep in the CAA website is the following extract, which states airlines can claim strikes as an EC, but not when the strike involves their own staff. Hopefully this will still help others still trying to get their due compensation from BA.

CAA EC definition

What are extraordinary circumstances?

The EU law on flight compensation uses the term 'extraordinary circumstances' to refer to situations where delays or cancellations have been caused by things that are not the responsibility of the airline. If extraordinary circumstances apply, you are not entitled to compensation.

The Regulation does not define “extraordinary circumstances” and there have been a number of cases in the European and English courts regarding what the term covers. The cases have centred on whether technical faults on an aircraft could be an extraordinary circumstance. In June 2014 the English Court of Appeal issued a judgment in the Jet2 v Huzar case which provided clarity in the UK that technical problems were not an extraordinary circumstance.

In September 2015 the European Court looked at the same issue in the case of KLM v van der Lans. The court found that technical problems were not extraordinary and neither was the early failure of an aircraft component. The ruling noted two types of technical fault that may be extraordinary, a hidden manufacturing defect and damage to an aircraft caused by sabotage or terrorism.

Examples of extraordinary circumstances

The main categories of events that are likely to be an extraordinary circumstance include:
  • Acts of terrorism or sabotage
  • Political or civil unrest
  • Security risks
  • Strikes (unrelated to the airline such as, airport staff, ground handlers, or air traffic control)
  • Weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of the flight
  • Hidden manufacturing defects (a manufacturer recall that grounds a fleet of aircraft)
If you are not sure whether extraordinary circumstances apply to your flight, but have read about your other rights and think you might have a case, you can make a claim to your airline for compensation. The airline should explain to you the reason for the disruption. If they consider it was due to extraordinary circumstances they will need to clearly set out why. If they reject your claim then you can consider whether to pursue it further.

Am I entitled to compensation? | UK Civil Aviation Authority
Tobias-UK and Temych like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
I have a question re rights for rebooking which as at present theoretical in nature but, given the bad week I've had so far, I'm worried may become real.

I would like to know what discretion I have over rebooking a subsequent sector in a multi-sector itinerary if a delay on an earlier sector causes me to miss a connection. For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume that the delay is something that would give rise to compensation under the regulation. To be specific, I'm booked AMS-LHR-EDI tomorrow evening on the last possible flights which connect at the minimum connection time at T5. It's quite possible it will go wrong. Similar connections have done so before, but I've always been happy to take the hotel and the first flight in the morning plus the compensation where applicable. But in this case, I don't want to be on the first flight to EDI the next morning. I would rather leave it until Sunday. The reason is that I'm already travelling back to London for the weekend. If I can't get to EDI on Thursday night I would rather just stay in London and travel back on Sunday.

It's clear to me that if my flight to EDI was cancelled I would be able to do this. It's one of the 3 options I can choose (refund, reroute as soon as possible or reroute at my leisure.) It's also clear that I would be able to ask to be returned to my starting point and get a refund, but I don't want that. Reading through all the helpful material in this thread I'm still unclear what my options might be. If anyone has insight or experience of similar circumstances I would be grateful to hear it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cziwkga
It's clear to me that if my flight to EDI was cancelled I would be able to do this. It's one of the 3 options I can choose (refund, reroute as soon as possible or reroute at my leisure.) It's also clear that I would be able to ask to be returned to my starting point and get a refund, but I don't want that. Reading through all the helpful material in this thread I'm still unclear what my options might be. If anyone has insight or experience of similar circumstances I would be grateful to hear it.
I think I would divide my answer to this into two parts - what the Regulation says, and what BA will actually do. For the Regulations the 3 options apply for delays as well as cancellations, the required delay period being 5 hours, which would be the case here given it's the last flight of the night. So I think you are covered in this circumstance. If hypothetically there was a night flight which kept the delay below 5 hours then BA could insist you take it, which is understandable since it minimises their risk to pay Article 7 compensation. In terms of what BA will actually do, there would be no problem here. They will rebook you according to anything sensible for which there is availability (at the airport) or for a slightly stricter set of rules if using the Contact Centre but it won't get in the way of your plans here either way. You would only get 1 night hotel accommodation if - as one would expect - there was Saturday availability for LHR-EDI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.