Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there still a thrill for a rare F ride across the Atlantic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there still a thrill for a rare F ride across the Atlantic?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by layz
I actually think of F the same way as I think of CE. It may not be a massive step up from the class below it but I value the extra space, improved catering and most importantly better service due to the smaller cabin.
Typically I would agree. Had a brilliant purser on LHR to ZAG. Got rather sozzled (the boisterous pax that time, yep).

Sadly the BA planes to Cyprus and Greece are shonky. Saying that, did have an efficient crew last time I went to LCA.

Anyway, if the OP has the time to get a Bloody Mary and an Elemis massage between flights (not simultaneously) it'll make up for any lacking! ^
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
If you get a good crew, it'll be superb. If the crew are mediocre, it's still a lot better than sitting further back...

Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC
I fly F so rarely that it's still a thrill each time.

And I suspect that the 'rare F flyer' will still be impressed by the service- it's still always going to be better than CW...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
To answer the OP's question directly, I would say yes - without a doubt. I fly J a fair bit now compared to the past but very occasionally get to fly F and it really is a step up from Club World. My last two trips in F were LHR - DXB and LHR - EWR and both trips were fantastic. I hope your flights are equally as good.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vibguy
The LHR-ATH leg in CE would certainly be a deal breaker for me, the 4-5 hr trip in a cramped CE cabin has nothing to look forward for.
Except three weeks in glorious Greece once we land.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by david55
Except three weeks in glorious Greece once we land.
^

You should travel around a bit, explore some islands.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
^

You should travel around a bit, explore some islands.
Or for that matter the much underrated mainland, with some stunning mountains and lake areas.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:47 am

I have concluded that BA F is an upgraded business class rather a true First class product. Your experience will depend on how good the cabin crew are. I have had an excellent crew and some mediocre ones.

Personally I still prefer the Emirates, Etihad business product.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Or for that matter the much underrated mainland, with some stunning mountains and lake areas.
This trip is devoted to the Peloponnese.

We try and go to Greece every 3 years or so with a lot of that time spent in Eastern Crete.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twincheeks
I have concluded that BA F is an upgraded business class rather a true First class product. Your experience will depend on how good the cabin crew are. I have had an excellent crew and some mediocre ones.
That seems to be a common viewpoint here. In fact, some could argue that a 744 upper deck window in CW (with the extra storage/shelf) with a good crew can be a better overall experience than F with a bad crew (of course the food/drink won't be as good). Or certainly not worth any additional cost. But 777 J is kind of cramped, so if that's what they're using to SEA, I'm sure the differential is larger.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just stop thinking about it, and enjoy it. It's not the best in the world, but a whole lot better than sitting at the back.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Make sure to tell the cabin crew serving you after take-off that its your first First for 10 years, and that you would like to eat together. In our experience they make a special point of spoiling a couple dining together, and enjoy a chat ...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:20 pm

I was very happy with my first F flight on BA in June of this year. It was a day flight, I found the crew very attentive, and the food decent. Was it as nice as CX? No, but it wasn't the shambles others on the board describe. I am happy enough with the trip I booked another daytime F flight on BA. I think you two will have fun, and I wish you the same.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by david55
This trip is devoted to the Peloponnese.

We try and go to Greece every 3 years or so with a lot of that time spent in Eastern Crete.
^
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I did my first First earlier this year, yes it was better than CW and it helped that I had a good proactive crew. Others will give you all the p' & c'so. I wouldn'the pay full price for it but am prepared to use my avios to upgrade as struggle to use them. As everyone says the crew does make the difference, I didn't tell them it was my first time but when the CSD (I think I remember the title) came round to do her welcome she actually made mention of the fact together with a couple of other facts which showed that she was doing more than just reading from the Ipad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.