Wiki Posts
Search

From a recent GGL reception ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stimpy
... The UK is the only country where if you happen to leave your tiny <100ml bottle of whatever in your bag you are punished by the security staff and made to wait in a queue of secondary screening. Every single time I pass through LHR I see the backlog at every checkpoint of secondary screening bags and a bunch of miserable people standing around waiting, often for 15-20 minutes for the nonsense of secondary screening...
That is not exclusive to the UK, it happens in many countries and I've observed it occur at most airports I travel from the world over.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I would say you are extremely lucky, or perhaps referring to how things worked 5 or 6 years ago.
Probably 2 or 3 times this year - I don't keep track of how often I've been a bit sloppy because it doesn't seem to matter. It is different on the (fortunately rare) occasions when I really slip up - like a 300 ml bottle of sunscreen that was in my bag because of a misunderstanding during packing.

I will proffer a third alternative, though: maybe I live in a parallel universe.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That is not exclusive to the UK, it happens in many countries and I've observed it occur at most airports I travel from the world over.
The 100% no exceptions is exclusive to the UK. Other places, VIE is one example, they do this on occasion. But when they pull a bag at VIE, it is rare enough that it doesn't cause a backup, unlike busy UK airports. I know this because I leave my liquids in my bag on every trip I make, unless I'm flying out of the UK. Over 100 flights per year. And even then I sometimes forget to take my liquids out in the UK because it is so unusual given that the majority of my flights are not ex-UK. I travel with my liquids in my bag out of every other EU country, some more than others. Every last country in Asia, even Bhutan. All over Africa and of course America. Nobody cares in those countries. I know this as fact because the scanner operator can clearly see the bottles in my bag, as can I if I choose to peek at the screen. And in those countries they do not punish the traveler because they can easily see that these items are all under 100ml. It's only the UK that engages in this foolish practice.

But perhaps the meat of this argument is for another thread. The important part is that there can always be seen bags for secondary screening at LHR. Even in the early morning during light periods. So if there are only two screening checkpoints for the First Wing, there could often be backups. We'll see how they run things.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would say you are extremely lucky, or perhaps referring to how things worked 5 or 6 years ago. Back then it was a bit random about if they will pull your bag out or not. But now it is 100% with zero exceptions. The person watching the scanner can easily see that tiny bottle in your bag and they have been trained to direct that bag for secondary screening.
I just noticed today (in my hotel in Berlin) that a bottle of skin cream has been in my suitcase (outside of my plastic baggie) for at least six weeks (I've been looking for it). Since then it has been though at least eight different European airports (big: FRA, small: MHQ) and many times through LHR, without any comments. The whole security theatrics thing is a bit of a farce.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I just noticed today (in my hotel in Berlin) that a bottle of skin cream has been in my suitcase (outside of my plastic baggie) for at least six weeks (I've been looking for it). Since then it has been though at least eight different European airports (big: FRA, small: MHQ) and many times through LHR, without any comments. The whole security theatrics thing is a bit of a farce.
My fountain pen ink well is something like 80ml and I don't even bother to put it in a liquid bag, I always have it & I travel pretty much always HBO. Plus eye drops (50ml), which I never put in a bag and has not once been noticed in my bag.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Different airports focus on different things. I got pulled in IST because they saw a couple of welders spacing wedges in my bag (picture a 6" long tapered steel chisel) which I had no idea were in there. Fair enough, they took them.

But then I thought about it and realised I'd gone through T5 at least 5 times since I'd put them in that compartment of my bag, not to mention a few other EU airports and no-one had batted an eyelid.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Different airports focus on different things.
Absolutely. And maybe threshold triggers move up and down: that's something they suggested at Manchester when my liquid-filled contact lens case caused a secondary screening episode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.