FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From a recent GGL reception ...
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:45 pm
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That is not exclusive to the UK, it happens in many countries and I've observed it occur at most airports I travel from the world over.
The 100% no exceptions is exclusive to the UK. Other places, VIE is one example, they do this on occasion. But when they pull a bag at VIE, it is rare enough that it doesn't cause a backup, unlike busy UK airports. I know this because I leave my liquids in my bag on every trip I make, unless I'm flying out of the UK. Over 100 flights per year. And even then I sometimes forget to take my liquids out in the UK because it is so unusual given that the majority of my flights are not ex-UK. I travel with my liquids in my bag out of every other EU country, some more than others. Every last country in Asia, even Bhutan. All over Africa and of course America. Nobody cares in those countries. I know this as fact because the scanner operator can clearly see the bottles in my bag, as can I if I choose to peek at the screen. And in those countries they do not punish the traveler because they can easily see that these items are all under 100ml. It's only the UK that engages in this foolish practice.

But perhaps the meat of this argument is for another thread. The important part is that there can always be seen bags for secondary screening at LHR. Even in the early morning during light periods. So if there are only two screening checkpoints for the First Wing, there could often be backups. We'll see how they run things.