Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MADPhil
In this case do the BA rules or the Qatar rules apply? Was the agent struggling with the latter?
Possibly, I think QR would be a weight allowance of 40kg (88lb) in J, and an extra 20 kg as a OWE. However, I would be really surprised if a BA agent in TFW tried to apply QR's rules rather than BA's.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-nz/baggage.html
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Possibly, I think QR would be a weight allowance of 40kg (88lb) in J, and an extra 20 kg as a OWE. However, I would be really surprised if a BA agent in TFW tried to apply QR's rules rather than BA's.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-nz/baggage.html
That was how I read Qatar's rules and it is possible that Qatar have complained when BA's rules were applied for people who were not Emerald and Qatar was the most significant carrier.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:43 am

That was how I read Qatar's rules and it is possible that Qatar have complained when BA's rules were applied for people who were not Emerald and Qatar was the most significant carrier.
Since QR is the most significant carrier in this case (Middle East to Asia) QR rules apply. The agent wasn’t confused about applying QR rules I don’t think. Apart from adding OWE baggage benefit.

Last edited by Non Compos Mentis; Aug 12, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:45 am

In this case do the BA rules or the Qatar rules apply? Was the agent struggling with the latter?
QR rules apply. I don’t think the agent was mixed up about this. Just that she wasn’t aware about the extra allowance for OWE.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I.am not in any way questioning the OPs account,but it does seem completely bizarre given the 2 x 32kg basic allowance. Its also hard to imagine the agents at the F wing being very fussed about a couple of cases weighing a few kg over the allowance. All very odd, but pretty poor show.
Yes I did find it bizarre. And in fact I was stunned into silence at times because I could not process how agents at the First Wing didn’t understand OW extra allowance for OWE.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Didn't want to drag up a 4 year old thread but couldn't find anywhere else to report a new one for me at LHR T5. Flying to YYZ last Thursday I went to TFW and made sure my Canadian passport was checked. No problem. Then proceeded to FW security and boarding pass scanned and no issues. When I went to the gate and Group 1 was called I then went to the desk at the gate to board and got flagged and couldn't proceed. When I asked what the issue was the GA said the system was showing as me never having gone through security. I explained I had used TFW. I was eventually allowed through. Fortunately they hadn't started boarding the other groups so I didn't hold anyone up. Anyone had this before or know how it would even happen?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
When I asked what the issue was the GA said the system was showing as me never having gone through security. I explained I had used TFW. I was eventually allowed through. Fortunately they hadn't started boarding the other groups so I didn't hold anyone up. Anyone had this before or know how it would even happen?
Yes, it’s happened to me a few times as well, coincidentally always at TFW. It’s a HAL system and doesn’t always capture correctly. I’ve never worked out why, but thankfully the gate staff have always been able to fix it after a few calls. Would make an interesting IDB claim if they couldn’t though.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Have had this happen a few times too. Most annoying is it's the same red 'unable to board' as I've experienced getting when I've been upgraded at the gate, so it can be an anxious few seconds while you wait to find out if it's a good beep or a bad beep. More commonly the latter unfortunately.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Confus
Yes, it’s happened to me a few times as well, coincidentally always at TFW. It’s a HAL system and doesn’t always capture correctly. I’ve never worked out why, but thankfully the gate staff have always been able to fix it after a few calls. Would make an interesting IDB claim if they couldn’t though.
Yes the IDB thing immediately came to mind as it seemed I'd never get back to Toronto on this trip and this was going to be the latest hurdle
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: .
Hopefully they fix this issue soon.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I just want to clarify something about the guest policy. As OWE, I understand that I can use TFW. Can my no-status co-worker who is traveling on the same flight as me but on a separate PNR also use TFW check-in and security, or no? We're both ticketed in WT+.

Also, are they as strict about cabin baggage here as they are elsewhere? I still have PTSD from a number of years ago when they made me put my bags into the tiny sizers in T5 and then wouldn't let me even enter security. My backpack is often stuffed to the gills, and even though it fits under the seat just fine, it does not fit in the sizers. And the larger of my two carry-on suitcases is slightly over the official sizing limits, even though it fits in the overhead bins without any issue, even on a regional jet.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I just want to clarify something about the guest policy. As OWE, I understand that I can use TFW. Can my no-status co-worker who is traveling on the same flight as me but on a separate PNR also use TFW check-in and security, or no? We're both ticketed in WT+.

Also, are they as strict about cabin baggage here as they are elsewhere? I still have PTSD from a number of years ago when they made me put my bags into the tiny sizers in T5 and then wouldn't let me even enter security. My backpack is often stuffed to the gills, and even though it fits under the seat just fine, it does not fit in the sizers. And the larger of my two carry-on suitcases is slightly over the official sizing limits, even though it fits in the overhead bins without any issue, even on a regional jet.
Yes you can bring a guest with you.

If the bag is slightly oversized then it’s unlikely that anyone will say anything. BA has some of the most generous cabin bag sizes in the industry so I don’t think it’s fair to describe the sizers as “tiny”; they aren’t. FYI on BA’s E190 regionals the overhead lockers will only just fit BA’s max size so even a centimetre over will cause issues.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Provided you check in together this will be fine
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Yes you can bring a guest with you.

If the bag is slightly oversized then it’s unlikely that anyone will say anything. BA has some of the most generous cabin bag sizes in the industry so I don’t think it’s fair to describe the sizers as “tiny”; they aren’t. FYI on BA’s E190 regionals the overhead lockers will only just fit BA’s max size so even a centimetre over will cause issues.
The personal item (second bag) is 40 x 30 x 15 cm, and it's the 15cm which is problematic. I once made a discreet check of all the second bags in CCR one morning, and the only one I saw which was under 15cm was mine. Now as the previous poster mentioned, a bag much wider that 15 cm can neatly go under the seat in front, easyJet's equivalent is 45 x 36 x 25cm. Now that's not a direct comparison since this would be an only bag on the cheap fares, but it is intended to be the guaranteed "under the seat" size, and many of easyJet's and BA's shorthaul seats are the same manufacturer and same size. But the under the seat bag on easyJet is more than twice that of BA, in volumetric terms.

My usual take on these questions is (a) you will get away with it almost certainly, but I think you then have to stay stumm about the complaints about not finding an overhead and (b) if you really want zero challenge on sizing, then it's best your bags really do conform to BA's sizes and (c) if below group 3 then irrespective of (a) and (b) there is a chance that any large bag will be hold checked, for free, at the gate, if the flight is busy on shorthaul. Longhaul it usually all fits in, just about.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Via First Wing you would have to be egregiously and very obviously breaking the hand luggage limit for an issue. More risk at the gate but if on a long haul flight and in Group 1 you should be fine.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.