First Wing at T5

Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
First Wing at T5

Saw this on my MMB, what's this all about, where will it be at and how would this differ from GF?

The First Wing is coming to London Heathrow Terminal 5
8 December 2016

In spring 2017, we'll be introducing The First Wing at London Heathrow Terminal 5, a dedicated premium space offering you an even better experience when you're travelling in First or if you are an Executive Club Gold Member. Please bear with us while building works take place, we're doing our very best to minimise disruption to your journey.

Did not find a thread on this....
Tottie66 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:34 am

isnt it the revised check in area and short cut through premium security to lounge complex?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Here you go:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uth-f-owe.html
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
So the 'wing' is really just a new door?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:02 pm

Pretty much. And given its going to come out in GF - it's not much use for CCR holders as they have to go through GF and then down the corridor. Of course ... if it's faster than south fast track that's good.

Now if BA wanted to be clever ... they'd switch club check in down to area B ... putting most silver/club through north fast track, Golds through the new wing and CCR mainly into south fast track.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Pretty much. And given its going to come out in GF
I've heard this First Wing mentioned a few times and, as I haven't really taken much notice of it, I kind of assumed that they were busily building an extension to Terminal 5 somewhere! I even had visions of it being similar to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal....silly me!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by headingwest
I've heard this First Wing mentioned a few times and, as I haven't really taken much notice of it, I kind of assumed that they were busily building an extension to Terminal 5 somewhere! I even had visions of it being similar to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal....silly me!
Wing is obviously BA speak for door. Let's hope this does not catch on in engineering...
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
Wing is obviously BA speak for door. Let's hope this does not catch on in engineering...
That's really rather funny!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: GGL

Now if BA wanted to be clever ... they'd switch club check in down to area B ... putting most silver/club through north fast track, Golds through the new wing and CCR mainly into south fast track.
That is rather a brilliant idea
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Pretty much. And given its going to come out in GF - it's not much use for CCR holders as they have to go through GF and then down the corridor. Of course ... if it's faster than south fast track that's good.

No doubt if there were plans to move Club check in down to B then they would probably want to close south fast track. Could you really see if being kept open for a handful of CCR card holders every hour. This would probably also allow them to remove the additional staff member at the secret door.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by madfish
No doubt if there were plans to move Club check in down to B then they would probably want to close south fast track. Could you really see if being kept open for a handful of CCR card holders every hour. This would probably also allow them to remove the additional staff member at the secret door.
I didn't say exclusive ... just mainly.

They keep fast track north open now - I'd see no reason they'd close south just because most of the traffic went to North.

Same as it is now - just reversed.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I didn't say exclusive ... just mainly.

They keep fast track north open now - I'd see no reason they'd close south just because most of the traffic went to North.

Same as it is now - just reversed.
But it won't be the same as there will be a new premium lane which may well take a large proportion of the current south passengers. Besides, I believe fast track at north is a relative new thing (?) so effectively this would mean going from one fast track/premium security lane to three in a fairly short time frame. Is it needed/sustainable?

Even if not exclusive and golds were allowed how many would as it would still mean a trek around the shops to get to the F lounge rather than the direct route. Cannot see many wanting to do this.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
North fast track has always been there - but it has been given a new dedicated entrance in the last year.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Do we have a date for the Grand Wing opening?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
North Fast Track is currently a HAL provision, sponsored by Accenture. South Fast Track is paid for by BA. It could be changed, but I wouldn't see the incentive to BA in this.

The new First Wing has been accurately written up by the travel media in the thread linked. It's more than just a doorway, if you look at the area concerned, best done from the smokers' box by drop off parking, it's quite a chunk of the building. The current First check in area will "flow" through a curved channel around to some fairly spacious and open security lanes, compared to the rather boxed in South Fast Track. First Lounge entry and conformance will effectively be combined, so it's one stage less than now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.