Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Please refer to the wiki in this companion thread for more information.
Print Wikipost

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Welcome to the BAEC board Jahome! I have found it an invaluable resource and am very grateful to the community here – I am not much further along in my "BAEC journey" than you are

To answer your first question: yes, you are blue by default. At the end of the trip, you'll have 200 Tier Points (80 + 20 + 20 + 80), so 2/3 of your way to Bronze status.

1. T3 lounges: I can only speak for the Cathay Pacific (CX) business lounge, but I thought it was excellent. You will also have access to, from memory, the British Airways business lounge and the American Airlines business lounge. My personal impression, reading the comments of seasoned lounge reviewers here, is that the consensus is the Cathay lounge is the best overall; the BA lounge apparently has nicer alcohol; and the AA lounge has the best internet speeds.

You could always visit all three, of course… As I flew out on the A350 (10.20am departure, so leaving the lounge by 09:30-45 to allow for the walk to the gate) I wasn't too fussed about alcohol, and remained in CX throughout

Yes, you do - there are 2 Finnair lounges that you can access (that I am aware of), one of which is on the Schengen side of the terminal very close to the gates that the London flights depart from. However, depending on your flights, you may not have much time there at all - I think I had about 5 minutes!

Yes, but not much time to enjoy the lounges unfortunately. It's probably a 10 minute brisk walk, but a) the airport is busy; b) you have to clear Schengen both ways, and c) the ATR72 (propeller plane) that operates many of the TLL flights comes in on a remote stand so you're bussed in. This also applies to some of the departures to LHR (not the A350, I believe).

Correct. There is a much smaller Finnair lounge Schengen side above gate 21/22 (where the TLL flights depart from) - again, you may not have a lot of time to kill on the outbound, depending on your connections.

We all have to start somewhere, and it's always jargon until someone explains it or it's clearly documented Do let us know how you enjoy your time in Tallinn!
Thank you squawk, that's a very helpful reply.

Just one thing, my question at point 2, I didn't make myself clear. I would like to know if I have a lounge at Tallinn for the return leg. Somewhere back in the thread it made me wonder.

I am grateful for the information you've given. ^
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Jahome, there can be quite a bit of jargon on here. I understand. Welcome to Flyertalk and the BAEC forum but you'll get an official welcome VERY SOON. Do stay.

1. I would recommend the Cathay Pacific lounge. As non-status travelling Finnair Business you will have access to the more than adequate Business side of their lounge. You can also access BA's lounge which isn't bad and American's as well, which in my humble opinion is total and utter crap. But people go on about fast wifi there, ho hum. Depending on your travel dates the new Qantas lounge may be open and you may have access there too, but that's an unknown quantity.

2. I only visited TLL lounge once, I presented my boarding pass and *saying* I was a BAEC member and had no problem. I think the issue here is proving that you are flying on the full fare economy ticket with the ongoing business class connection [??]. Your boarding pass alone should get you priority access at security, which depending on day might be more important than lounge! Others to comment on lounge access

3. At HEL an hour is absolutely fine, but it won't leave much time for lounge access if concerned with that. On a recent connection I ran from arrival TLL bus gate to departing LHR gate, clearing border, in 6 minutes when my inbound plane was late, so it can be done if the airport is quiet [it's not the distance at HEL, it's how crowded the one corridor is making running impossible!]. Of course Finnair often holds the ongoing plane if a lot of people are making the connection so the run was totally unnecessary. And *a lot* of people connect from LHR to TLL.

4. Correct. There is a highly efficient e-gate system which takes a minute or so to process through.

Have fun. This fare and Tallinn are great!
Thank you for the welcome and info and in clearing up my query at point 2. I cannot believe I didn't find this forum long ago.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:49 am

I see NoTiersForMe and I overlapped each other's posts!

Originally Posted by Jahome
Just one thing, my question at point 2, I didn't make myself clear. I would like to know if I have a lounge at Tallinn for the return leg. Somewhere back in the thread it made me wonder.
I probably misread it - sorry! Yes, you do. But you will need to show your boarding pass for both TLL-HEL and onward HEL-LHR, as it is the second which 'qualifies' the first for lounge access. I was able to do this for both myself and my travelling companion electronically via the iPhone Wallet app, but it was a bit confusing swiping between 4 almost-identical cards! If you can print out the boarding passes it will be easier.

As you come out of the obligatory duty free, you go through a corridor with photos of famous visitors to TLL on the left side. Emerging from that, the 'pier' with the gates is off to your right; the entrance to the lounge is up the stairs/lift to your left. It's quite bizarre, because you literally look over the security checkpoint as you walk up, with no glass or anything in between…
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:55 am

Thank you again, I will print out my boarding pass for both sectors of the trip beforehand.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:59 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jahome
Jahome, I'll add my welcome to FT as well. The general consensus is that your onward J boarding pass will get you lounge access in Tallinn. This is at a contract lounge, so that's when the difficulty starts, even though your Finnair boarding pass will probably even state you have access.

When I was there last Monday, the lounge agent asked for my BA card. I refused on the grounds that the J class ticket allowed me in anyway. She went away to find a supervisor, and asked for the card again. I refused again, she checked further and let me in.

Now, perhaps I was unlucky, but be prepared to insist several times and don't take no for an answer!

The lounge itself isn't anything spectacular, with fairly limited food & beverage, but it's a pleasant enough place to sit for 30 minutes ahead of your flight.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Is it too late to book this for £232? My mrs needs the TP to get silver.. Want to go in May Fri-Sun
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hungry
Is it too late to book this for £232? My mrs needs the TP to get silver.. Want to go in May Fri-Sun
Yes it is too late, although you may be able to get it for ~£340 if you use the AY flight numbers betweeen HEL and TLL. The £232 price isn't available until the start of November now.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes it is too late, although you may be able to get it for ~£340 if you use the AY flight numbers betweeen HEL and TLL. The £232 price isn't available until the start of November now.
:'(

Just rang them they wanted like £1400 or something :O :O each !
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Yes, it's too late to get it for £232 unless you go in November or later.

But I posted some alternatives in #299 of this thread for which are still available in May

Random question for anyone reading:

I want to get the 3-day public transport travelcard which appears to cost €5 + €2 for an Ühiskaart. Can I get this at the R-kiosk or do I need to buy the card at the kiosk and do something at another machine?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:32 pm

The Mrs needs 110 tier points...

We want to go somewhere to get her them, 19th May or 20th May going out, for two nights...

This was perfect for £232 each.. anything similar that comes even close??

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Regarding the TLL lounge, I did the LHR-HEL-TLL run last month with all legs on AY and all boarding passes had the lounge invites printed on them. The lounge guardian in TLL just scanned my boarding pass and welcomed me to the lounge.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Regarding the TLL lounge, I did the LHR-HEL-TLL run last month with all legs on AY and all boarding passes had the lounge invites printed on them. The lounge guardian in TLL just scanned my boarding pass and welcomed me to the lounge.
You are a BA gold though?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:40 pm

The Mrs needs 110 tier points...

We want to go somewhere to get her them, 19th May or 20th May going out, for two nights...

This was perfect for £232 each.. anything similar that comes even close??

Thanks
You could try LHR-MAD-BCN and return, staying Sat night in MAD, Sun in BCN or 2 nights in BCN.
This prices at around £257 with IB and gives you 120 TP's in business

i have been looking in Mar/Apr and there is availability, Not checked May though.
It is also available through AMEX travel if you have the £50 off £200 spend.

You can get the IB A330 out and A340 back on the LHR-MAD sectors if you time it right.

You could even go the whole nine yards and join in the FT do on 18 Mar in BCN!!!

Now that is certain to impress the good lady!!!

This is shown on the BCN do thread so hat tip to Megaloman!

Last edited by Tierhunter; Feb 14, 2017 at 1:42 pm Reason: Credits
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tierhunter
You could try LHR-MAD-BCN and return, staying Sat night in MAD, Sun in BCN or 2 nights in BCN.
This prices at around £257 with IB and gives you 120 TP's in business

i have been looking in Mar/Apr and there is availability, Not checked May though.
It is also available through AMEX travel if you have the £50 off £200 spend.

You can get the IB A330 out and A340 back on the LHR-MAD sectors if you time it right.

You could even go the whole nine yards and join in the FT do on 18 Mar in BCN!!!

Now that is certain to impress the good lady!!!

This is shown on the BCN do thread so hat tip to Megaloman!
Thanks for the tip. I do have the £50 Amex offer, but I can't get anything for less than about £2k lol !! Maybe I am just doing something wrong ..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
https://goo.gl/flights/ywPK

Lie-flat to/from LHR, day in Madrid on the way out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.