Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Curse of Fly ? [14 Nov, BA Op systems down, major disruption]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Curse of Fly ? [14 Nov, BA Op systems down, major disruption]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Most of BA's IT department have been made redundant as of the start of the month.

FLY is here to stay 100%. It will end up costing more in disruption than it would if they maintained it properly, however.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
Most of BA's IT department have been made redundant as of the start of the month.

FLY is here to stay 100%. It will end up costing more in disruption than it would if they maintained it properly, however.
...Ah, but that's different budget!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Frustrating and unacceptable that there's still problems with this but to me, "major disruption" means high volumes of cancellations. BA have made zero cancellations today due to this. Looks like they've done a pretty good job in the background with ensuring frontline staff are trained in back up procedures.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by surryson
Frustrating and unacceptable that there's still problems with this but to me, "major disruption" means high volumes of cancellations. BA have made zero cancellations today due to this. Looks like they've done a pretty good job in the background with ensuring frontline staff are trained in back up procedures.
They've had enough practice.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:53 am

It may be YOUR definition but it isn't everybody's.

Major disruption in my eyes means large numbers of people whose travel has been disrupted. I see that between 4pm and 6pm two thirds of BA flights at LHR were late (according to BA own website).

A pretty good job? Right oh.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:09 pm

In theory, it looks acceptable - especially to someone who works in IT. Talk to the business traveller who had a 60 minute connection to make, his aeroplane touched down only 30 minutes late, only to be held up on the taxiway for a further 30 minutes because the only stand they could use was still occupied by an aircraft where a headcount was going on and you get a different picture.

How about the lady waiting patiently in Inverness for the only flight of the day, relying on making the only connection so she can get to her son's hospital bedside? It's all very well banging on about her "EU Rights" and putting her up in a hotel for the night, but you know she will be fretting for the next 24 hours in case she arrives at the hozzie too late.

Sadly, situations like these happen every time we have "a little" disruption. Sometimes it's only a couple of flights affected, other times it's a real "Cluster-SNAFU" - but it's real people who suffer. I always hoped a third runway would ease the pressure, but if Heathrow is allowed to sell additional capacity, it won't do the trick.

The answer lies with reliable IT, sufficient and reliable equipment to do the job and sufficient well-trained staff. All three areas are sadly lacking at the moment, as we, arguably the most profitable airline group in the world, continue our cost cutting drive.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm at DXB. Fly is either down, or undergoing a turnover/upgrade, per the lady taking my suitcase. She was using a backup, had trouble finding a boarding card.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just booked a return to EDI on the 23rd and the front rows are blocked like they used to be before FLY.

Wondering if they've reverted back to the pre-FLY system?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
BA have made zero cancellations today due to this
What did cause all the cancellations at LCY today then ?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:47 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
What did cause all the cancellations at LCY today then ?
The Daily Mail, Donald Trump, Brexit, witchcraft...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Complete shambles this morning at BLQ. Due to staff having to literally handwrite baggage tags, check-iin ran almost an hour beyond the scheduled departure time to LHR so the inevitable delays and missed connections followed which staff at LHR seem to accept as almost the norm these days.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
It is not FLY (which is only the customized front-end), but the bloody SIP (System Integration Platform) that supports it, and it is the biggest blunder I have seen.

Be certain this is not the last time this is going to happen.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Interesting. Is it not a standard enterprise service bus from one of the big players? How do you screw one of those up?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:35 pm

I wish I had checked out this thread before going to the airport. 2.5 hours delay EDI to LCY tonight due to knock on delays from Fly once again failing to fly.

Interesting to note that my colleagues were on Flybe and were also delayed at EDI. Their captain told them they had an ATC delay to get into LCY due to BA check in system failure causing loads of delays at LCY and blocking up all the gates.

Would be interesting to see if other carriers complain to BA that Fly is causing delays for them.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLMkitty
I wish I had checked out this thread before going to the airport. 2.5 hours delay EDI to LCY tonight due to knock on delays from Fly once again failing to fly.

Interesting to note that my colleagues were on Flybe and were also delayed at EDI. Their captain told them they had an ATC delay to get into LCY due to BA check in system failure causing loads of delays at LCY and blocking up all the gates.

Would be interesting to see if other carriers complain to BA that Fly is causing delays for them.
That is REALLY interesting. It never occurred to me but clearly at such a wee airport as LCY it can be an issue for other carriers. I would hope BE's legal would look at it, but I get the feeling their expertise is limited to only EC261 claims .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.