Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Is there anywhere (other than here) that you can find out which fleet operates which LH route?

If the potential is there for strike action early in the new year I'd appreciate it if someone can do a quick summary of the LH routes served by Mixed Fleet.

Many thanks!
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
    Is there anywhere (other than here) that you can find out which fleet operates which LH route?

If the potential is there for strike action early in the new year I'd appreciate it if someone can do a quick summary of the LH routes served by Mixed Fleet.

Many thanks!
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...et-routes.html
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Quarky Quark

Many thanks!
    PHL, MIA, ATL, ORD, AUS, IAH, LAS, YYC, YVR, SAN, SJC, SEA, ICN, SYD (via SIN), BKK, CTU, PVG, MCT, NBO, JNB, CPT, LAD, LOS, ABV, CAI and TLV.

DFW, DEN, DXB and KWI have just moved back to Worldwide. Not sure if it's MF or WW operating the AUH.
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Thank you! I should have realised this thread was still going - oops

Originally Posted by Lite
    PHL, MIA, ATL, ORD, AUS, IAH, LAS, YYC, YVR, SAN, SJC, SEA, ICN, SYD (via SIN), BKK, CTU, PVG, MCT, NBO, JNB, CPT, LAD, LOS, ABV, CAI and TLV.

DFW, DEN, DXB and KWI have just moved back to Worldwide. Not sure if it's MF or WW operating the AUH.
    Thank you Lite!
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
    Originally Posted by cme17
    Not sure why they are striking - surely they know what the salary is before they take the job? I am not defending what seems like very low pay, but if you don't like the pay, don't take the job.
    Originally Posted by Dicksbits
    ….and is that right? NO pay increase AT ALL in 6 years? (since 2010).
    And there's the answer.
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:01 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    I can assure the other fleets will be doing all they can to back MF.
    Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    What do BA do if your flight is disrupted due to the strike?

Will they rebook you on another airline?
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
    Makes WW "Show me the ******* Money" seem even more ill judged than I originally thought. Not the thing to say when offering paltry pay rises to staff.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
    So if the ballot ends Dec 14th when might the earliest be that they would be able to strike?
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
    I guess this is not what BA had in mind when boasting at Capital Markets Day about increasing MF to 42% of the cabin crew fleet. Maybe they thought the Millennials would not get organised...
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    I can assure the other fleets will be doing all they can to back MF.
    Thank You CIHY! ^

There are a number of issues that MF crew are facing from the company at present, however pay is the reason stated for this potential industrial action.

CSM's have had no rise in their basic annual salary for 6 years. Those of us who have been there the majority of that time have, through performance related pay had increases, but only if we've "performed".

The promises of what we would earn have not materialised.

With the rising cost of inflation, the increased costs in most overseas destinations it is now becoming difficult to actually survive for some crew and they live close by!

We have no scheduling agreement which has resulted in poor rostering creating the high potential for fatigue (EASA have done us no favours). Example the recent announcement of a 4 day SCL trip (2 nearly 16 hour night duties, with a single local night in SCL). The reason "it's not cost effective for us to have you stay longer".

It remains to be seen what will happen with the ballot, but on the whole the fleet is the most unmotivated and tired I have seen.

D1L
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
    Originally Posted by kauppias
    So if the ballot ends Dec 14th when might the earliest be that they would be able to strike?
    As mentioned above, once the result is known, the Union must give 7 days notice to BA of any planned strike action.
    Assuming it takes a few days to tally the results and decide on the next course of action, the earliest a strike could realistically take place would be between Xmas and New Years.

Pilot37
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:56 am
    Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
    Originally Posted by Door1Left
    Example the recent announcement of a 4 day SCL trip (2 nearly 16 hour night duties, with a single local night in SCL). The reason "it's not cost effective for us to have you stay longer".
    Excuse my ignorance and I don't mean to diminish the strain put on staff, but wouldn't this be industry standard today?
    Spoke to the crew of a competing airline on a recent 14+ hour trip and was told they were back on duty the next day (ie flew back 24 hours later).

Is there a recovery period after such an extended duty rotation where no duty is assigned?
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
    Originally Posted by Pilot37
    As mentioned above, once the result is known, the Union must give 7 days notice to BA of any planned strike action.
    Assuming it takes a few days to tally the results and decide on the next course of action, the earliest a strike could realistically take place would be between Xmas and New Years.

Pilot37
    Well, my outbound flight (LHR-CLT) on 27/12 is on AA, so that's safe, but my ORD-LHR-CDG on 31/12 could be at risk...
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
    Originally Posted by Door1Left
    Thank You CIHY! ^

There are a number of issues that MF crew are facing from the company at present, however pay is the reason stated for this potential industrial action.

CSM's have had no rise in their basic annual salary for 6 years. Those of us who have been there the majority of that time have, through performance related pay had increases, but only if we've "performed".

The promises of what we would earn have not materialised.

With the rising cost of inflation, the increased costs in most overseas destinations it is now becoming difficult to actually survive for some crew and they live close by!

We have no scheduling agreement which has resulted in poor rostering creating the high potential for fatigue (EASA have done us no favours). Example the recent announcement of a 4 day SCL trip (2 nearly 16 hour night duties, with a single local night in SCL). The reason "it's not cost effective for us to have you stay longer".

It remains to be seen what will happen with the ballot, but on the whole the fleet is the most unmotivated and tired I have seen.

D1L
    Wow. Not that I would wish this on anyone, but surely having such fatigued crew would be an issue in an emergency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.