Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Any information as to when this will happen?
I have row 1 booked on domestics for next year - suppose I should try and see if the emergency exits are free!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I'd like to know the date too, I have a domestic booked in late January where I'm seated in row 1 and would like to know if there's a chance it could change. I'd be happy if they offered those who booked domestics before this announcement to upgrade without change fee should we want to.

I did get a call from customer relations after submitting a contact form asking if they could confirm CE would be retaining the dedicated menu and they said it would (although they also said there'd be no CE on domestics).
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I always understood that the BA aircraft had a flexible cabin so that the number of rows of club could be altered and to allow the aircraft to be used on domestics with no middle seat free... all the way from row one.
We are now told that DOmestic services are having CE.
Humour me. Is there any point having a middle seat AT ALL in the first few rows now if that is the case? Why equip the middle seat with a seat belt etc? It would save weight and allow for wider seats in the first three rows or so?
Or would this just cause a bun fight for aggrieved CE passngers in row 4 and onwards??!!!!
Thoughts?
I suppose a sensible date to introduce CE on Domestics would be BOB roll out day, but all a bit too much too soon?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any point having a middle seat AT ALL in the first few rows now if that is the case? Why equip the middle seat with a seat belt etc? It would save weight and allow for wider seats in the first three rows or so?
Or would this just cause a bun fight for aggrieved CE passngers in row 4 and onwards??!!!!
It would introduce inconsistency and complexity ... I think it'll just be left as it is.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC
I always understood that the BA aircraft had a flexible cabin so that the number of rows of club could be altered and to allow the aircraft to be used on domestics with no middle seat free... all the way from row one.
We are now told that DOmestic services are having CE.
Humour me. Is there any point having a middle seat AT ALL in the first few rows now if that is the case? Why equip the middle seat with a seat belt etc? It would save weight and allow for wider seats in the first three rows or so?
Thoughts?
I suppose a sensible date to introduce CE on Domestics would be BOB roll out day, but all a bit too much too soon?
BA has a flexible cabin for... well, flexibility. They also run a handful of bucket and spade charters here and there. I don't think it's worth getting bothered about...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by destere
BA has a flexible cabin for... well, flexibility. They also run a handful of bucket and spade charters here and there. I don't think it's worth getting bothered about...
I have read on here that CE can not be smaller than 3 rows and even if there are too few CE pax and ET is overbooked,BA would op up those ET pax,rather than moving the curtain by 1 or 2 rows?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by hcuk94
Funny, a year ago I wouldn't have dreamt of not flying BA to Scotland. Now I'm enjoying trying all the different ways I can get there.
Let us know when you try the Megabus sleeper
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I have read on here that CE can not be smaller than 3 rows and even if there are too few CE pax and ET is overbooked,BA would op up those ET pax,rather than moving the curtain by 1 or 2 rows?
I think this is correct. Looking through my log, I have never been in the first 3 rows in ET and only once in row 4 (LHR-BLQ).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
A320 there is a notice front of row 3 that the curtain must not be positioned there. This effectively means that the minimum is 3 rows - I'm assuming so the crew can see the engines etc during take off and landing.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
What about the Embraers, I think I've been in Row 3 in ET even when CE was empty - but if ET had been over/fully booked, what would have happened?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by :D!
What about the Embraers, I think I've been in Row 3 in ET even when CE was empty - but if ET had been over/fully booked, what would have happened?
Probably they would "upgrade" you to CE
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Probably they would "upgrade" you to CE
Indeed - and it's not just that CE needs to be a minimal size: there are row boundaries higher than row 3 where a divider isn't allowed and would trigger upgrades in the oversold Y case.

They can be much more ad hoc than mainline shorthaul, however: I've had regular upgrades out of LCY where it's been indiscernible from J; on a couple of occasions some sort of hybrid ET/CE service with J drinks and service but Y food; once a sort of shaming exercise where the cabin crew loudly said I was an upgrade and so had to have my drink out of a plastic cup!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by :D!
I'm reasonably sure I've been on an E170 back from FRA one time where I was the only pax in a single-row CE cabin.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Whilst on the phone to the Gold line this morning I queried my MAN>LHR>MIA itinerary in Feb/March. As there are three of us currently on Row 1 (my three year old son is in the 'E' seat and on a separate yet linked booking) for the MAN>LHR leg I asked about when the switch is happening.

The agent was pretty adamant that as it's only gone to the shareholders, it's unlikely to come in in Q1 2017. Surely it has to chime in with the arrival of BoB as others have said. Nothing like planning eh?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bradders81
The agent was pretty adamant that as it's only gone to the shareholders, it's unlikely to come in in Q1 2017.
In principle it could be done almost overnight:
Everyone booked in the J/C/D/R/I bucket is considered in business class.
Create the right-sized cabins on all flights according to the existing algorithm for CE.
Reseat all pax appropriately, using the existing curtain change algorithm.
Deal with any oversells following the capacity reduction using existing algorithm.
Crew follow band 1 protocols that they already know (?)
Update the fare tariffs if desired (J/C/D/R/I fares are already loaded, just need to be re-described as business class)
Some cosmetic changes to ba.com
Give a briefing to the outstation staff on how to move the curtains
Increase catering orders

Anything else?

I estimate at least a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.