Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-PER: should BA have done it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Stez
I haven't done MEL internationally yet - it had been on the cards for so many years before invariably moved to SYD or BNE during date changes on my tickets.
It's by far my favourite! Much more pleasant than both SYD and BNE (and also than PER). The airport layout makes a lot more sense, and even though you exit one terminal before rechecking, they effectively all lead you to the same central hall (even terminal 4 is now connected to T3). It also has onsite reasonable hotel in case of very early departure or long transits.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
should BA have done this, maybe attempting to obtain 8th freedom rights from Oz to fly LHR-PER-SYD instead of LHR-SIN-SYD?
Question for those that are better informed ...

I thought we had to immigrate to do customs with suitcases on arriving in Australia.

If true then LHR-PER-SYD could not be a simple 60-90 minute stopover on a "Direct" flight for fliers going onwards to SYD, but a lengthier stopover to allow for all of
suitcase unloading/immigration/customs/re-checkin baggage ?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Question for those that are better informed ...

I thought we had to immigrate to do customs with suitcases on arriving in Australia.

If true then LHR-PER-SYD could not be a simple 60-90 minute stopover on a "Direct" flight for fliers going onwards to SYD, but a lengthier stopover to allow for all of
suitcase unloading/immigration/customs/re-checkin baggage ?
Would probably be so if BA got 8th freedom rights. If not, I've done a number of international flights with a technical stop (a number of airlines did or still do fly xxx-syd-Mel). You just transit at the international terminal staying airside (in lounge if eligible). Stop was approximately 60 minutes and you clear immigration when disembarking at your final destination.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Depending on times it might be a nice flight in business as long as a good sleep is possible at the right time.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Stez
I think you are correct, I don't think any airports in Australia allow airside dom-int transfers. I do wonder if part of the reason (besides infrastructure/cost) is down to allowing non-pax airside domestically as is the case in BNE domestic terminal.

I haven't done MEL internationally yet - it had been on the cards for so many years before invariably moved to SYD or BNE during date changes on my tickets.
I think the reason is that you always have to collect baggage, clear immigration and customs at your first port of call in Australia. So there hasn't been a need to have an airside transfer.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I think the reason is that you always have to collect baggage, clear immigration and customs at your first port of call in Australia. So there hasn't been a need to have an airside transfer.
Actually, that would not necessarily explain why there is no airside transfer going domestic to international as in the US.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, that would not necessarily explain why there is no airside transfer going domestic to international as in the US.
There are different security standards on international and domestic flights, as there are in Japan. In particular liquids are permitted on domestic flights but not international.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I would not like to sit in Y for 18 hours non stop.

This flight will only have merit to passengers who have to be in Perth or in one of the smaller Australian cities where you can otherwise not get to with only one stop.

We will have to wait until a new ultra long haul aircraft is developed which can fly sydney to london non stop with enough payload to make it profitable, until we will see a stable Europe - Australia non stop service to stand the test of time.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bakpapier

This flight will only have merit to passengers who have to be in Perth or in one of the smaller Australian cities where you can otherwise not get to with only one stop.

We will have to wait until a new ultra long haul aircraft is developed which can fly sydney to london non stop with enough payload to make it profitable, until we will see a stable Europe - Australia non stop service to stand the test of time.

Most people on those Y seats doesn't visit FT and the fly maybe once a year or less internationally, and they have no idea how 18 Hours in Y like. On paper, direct flights looks more attractive to most none frequent flyer.

I doubt any one on the forum would choose a 17 hour direct flight over a reliable single code flight with a stop.

I would even choose flights with little bit longer stop over if I had to sit in Y so I can relax in the airport and get fed.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
I would even choose flights with little bit longer stop over if I had to sit in Y so I can relax in the airport and get fed.
Well said.
Unless it's a mercy dash (which I thankfully haven't needed to do for a while), having a stopover long enough to make me want to be back on an aircraft and walking a mile or so makes the journey more pleasant.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Most people on those Y seats doesn't visit FT and the fly maybe once a year or less internationally, and they have no idea how 18 Hours in Y like. On paper, direct flights looks more attractive to most none frequent flyer.

I doubt any one on the forum would choose a 17 hour direct flight over a reliable single code flight with a stop.

On the contrary. I know many people who have never flown long haul (or indeed have never flown AT ALL) and when I tell them that a flight to brazil takes 12 hours they are already saying that they could never bear such a long flight. They wonder what on earth one can do all the time on an airplane, etc.

I think that people who have little flying experience will certainly hesitate taking a 18 hour non stop flight. And rightfully so.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by Calchas
There are different security standards on international and domestic flights, as there are in Japan. In particular liquids are permitted on domestic flights but not international.
That still does not explain why would this affect terminals built before any liquid rules or similar silliness were introduced, and why you don't have just security in between domestic and international. That's certainly more efficient than having bus/train and then security (okay, it could mean one less security but anyway...).

I am guessing it was simply due to the fact that not many pax were actually leaving the country and hence no need for easy transfers. SYD actually plans to consolidate the domestic and international traffic according to its Master plan 2033.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haasha
That still does not explain why would this affect terminals built before any liquid rules or similar silliness were introduced, and why you don't have just security in between domestic and international. That's certainly more efficient than having bus/train and then security (okay, it could mean one less security but anyway...).

I am guessing it was simply due to the fact that not many pax were actually leaving the country and hence no need for easy transfers. SYD actually plans to consolidate the domestic and international traffic according to its Master plan 2033.
The security standards may always have differed, for one. In a country filled with remote airports serving explosives-handling mine workers, it would not surprise me at all if before 9/11 Australian domestic security had a few weak spots that could not really be countenanced by international carriers.

As to the question about introducing security (and passport control) between dom and int ... instead of dom->landside->int ... well, what is the point really? You've just moved the problem. I would agree that it would be nice to have it all under one roof.

So in respect of that question, the separation of international and domestic terminals, that is probably just poor planning by non-travelling civil engineers. To be fair pre-Terminal 5, BA operated under a similarly silly arrangement, with longhaul and shorthaul in different terminals.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Indeed, not to mention people going to the NT. Also people should bear in mind that secondary airports in the east like Gold Coast, Cairns, Canberra, etc, can currently only be related to Europe with two stops. A one stop via PER will likely be preferable and in many cases avoids backtracking.
Not necessarily SQ flies CBR-SIN and its subsidiaries MI operate CNS-SIN and TZ OOL-SIN, also there's CX CNS-HKG so it's already possible to get from these cities to most of Europe with one stop. Whereas with the new PER-LHR you'll still need two stops to get to any city that isn't London. And going via SIN/HKG is less circuitous than via PER. So not exactly sure if there'll be much of a market from those smaller cities.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: BA gold
I'd do the non-stop LHR-PER in Y... provided I have no seatmate or an EXST.

But I wouldn't do it if I had to go to the east coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.