Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG offer - 6000 bonus Avios

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would say "worth a complaint" but this is BA so I won't waste my time...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I got a similar email the other day but it was Marriott.
Basically, join their programme and get 1500 Avios (when selecting miles) for my first and second stays and then 3000? for my third stay up to 30000.

Already a member although I've never stayed with them so no idea if this will work with my existing account.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
When I click on the links to the IHG pages, it just takes me to my Accelerate promotion progress page so it does look like it's just a roundabout and misleading advert for that.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Ouch! Sorry folks.

This is pretty poor on behalf of BA as well for letting this through, though,

Surely the headline is utterly misleading:

"Collect at least 6,000 Avios when you book and stay with IHG® before 15 December 2016."
Agreed, completely misleading. I already have 120,000 IHG points so could convert those into a whopping 24,000 avios if I wanted... but I don't.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:27 am

Ouch! Sorry folks.

"Collect at least 6,000 Avios when you book and stay with IHG® before 15 December 2016."

Not least because accelerate usually means you have to dine, apply for a credit card and download an app as well as just staying with them.
Well, it's consistent with IHG's own description of accelerate:

Accelerate gives you the rewards you deserve. Book and stay before 15 December and you can earn at least 30,000 bonus points to spend towards the things you love. Make travel more exciting and get closer to the rewards you’ve always wanted.
But yes, I'd argue that use of 'book and stay before 15 december' in both is rather misleading- I'd have reached similar conclusions to you were I not intrigued by the 'at least 6000' and dived into the T&Cs.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The advert on the website without going into the T&Cs says "Book and complete your stay before 15 December 2016.", which clearly suggests just one stay is required, no the multiutude of challenges required by accelerate.

I have complained to BA and also to the ASA (not that that achieves much either).
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Ouch! Sorry folks.

Not least because accelerate usually means you have to dine, apply for a credit card and download an app as well as just staying with them.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Agreed, completely misleading. I already have 120,000 IHG points so could convert those into a whopping 24,000 avios if I wanted... but I don't.
The Advertising Standards Authority have agreed that the advert is misleading and have told BA to change it, which they will now be given an opportunity to do, although they will probably just remove it from the website.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I do wonder if this wasn't worded and driven by IHG, and it's just been cut & pasted without thinking or understanding (which wouldn't exactly be out of character for BA, would it?).

Relatively recently, IHG changed their survey company and invited all existing members to rejoin, promising 1000 points for taking the first survey - no conditions. That survey offer arrived, I started filling it in within minutes, only for it to perform the same trick as the old company and tell me my demographic had already been satisfied and I wasn't eligible. It then told me that I had been awarded the grand total of 25 points for completing the first section. That's not an enormous amount of use when you've already got in excess of 1m points that you struggle to know what to do with ...

I was tempted to complain to IHG just to make a point, but decided my time was worth rather more than the £5 points value.

In this instance, I'm therefore inclined to say that IHG and BA seem to complement each other rather well.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yep, though for true malevolent incompetence, LeClubAccor and BA CS are a marriage made in heaven (or rather, hell )
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
The Advertising Standards Authority have agreed that the advert is misleading and have told BA to change it, which they will now be given an opportunity to do, although they will probably just remove it from the website.
Thank you for doing that. I had some narrative with BA about this and they simply couldn't see what the issue was. Said I should take it up with IHG if I had a problem, wasn't their battle to fight etc. I politely suggested it was, they said it wasn't, I realised I had more important things to do with my time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.