Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from First to Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:40 am

As a point of reference, Lufthansa offers 4000 Euro for invol F to C downgrade. However they are not in the habit of overselling F.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by view
As a point of reference, Lufthansa offers 4000 Euro for invol F to C downgrade. However they are not in the habit of overselling F.
Actually they do oversell, and like BA their oversales algorithm appears effective. Downgrades on BA are rare, they are not as frequent as is being implied here.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by tony flynn
When choosing who to bump, it should be last to check in, first out in my eyes but not how the ticket was paid for.
I fly both 'full revenue' F and using vouchers or points/miles etc and I beg to differ. I would rather be bumped down when using a voucher, miles or points etc. than when I paid cash for F.

If I didn't pay cash for F it means I put less emphasis on being in F - if I had paid cash for F that's because I needed to be in F for whatever reason.

That's just me and I'm sure other people differ but I don't think F downgrades should be too black and white in the order of check-in (really, a volunteer should be sought discreetly without fail ad should be given to whoever volunteers for X amount of money).

If given a right set of circumstance I'd volunteer to change my flight so that other people can be in F for no compensation whatsoever, as long as my expenses (e.g. extra night's hotel if genuinely applicable but not meals as I have to eat anyway) are covered.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Actually they do oversell, and like BA their oversales algorithm appears effective. Downgrades on BA are rare, they are not as frequent as is being implied here.
Interesting. AF on the other hand explicitly choose not to oversell P. It is a formal policy.

I agree downgrades in general (not just from F) are rare and people should not start freaking out about it happening all the time, but it is admittedly unpleasant when it does occur, and I do think that from the reports that we have here, BA is proving less than generous (in fact, less than fair) when it occurs, especially through an equipment change.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Interesting. AF on the other hand explicitly choose not to oversell P. It is a formal policy...
I suppose with only 4 seats (mostly) it might be dangerous to do so!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Interesting. AF on the other hand explicitly choose not to oversell P. It is a formal policy.

I agree downgrades in general (not just from F) are rare and people should not start freaking out about it happening all the time, but it is admittedly unpleasant when it does occur, and I do think that from the reports that we have here, BA is proving less than generous (in fact, less than fair) when it occurs, especially through an equipment change.
Actually, just did a quick search on flyertalk for "oversold first". Seeing if NH does it. And it doesn't appear they do. But the second result to pop up is BA overselling first on a 241. So, not uncommon?

It does diminish the whole experience, having to worry about whether or not you're getting your seat. Just another reason first on BA isn't all that (but we already knew it wasn't).
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I fly both 'full revenue' F and using vouchers or points/miles etc and I beg to differ. I would rather be bumped down when using a voucher, miles or points etc. than when I paid cash for F.

If I didn't pay cash for F it means I put less emphasis on being in F - if I had paid cash for F that's because I needed to be in F for whatever reason.
Why does using cash or points make a different value? What you mean is that if you really need the flight you will pay cash, even if there were availability on points, because you presume BA is more likely to bump you if you are using points?

There was a post on someone who was flying CX in first, on points, flight was delayed by a few hours and the person couldn't do that, told the agent he was going to purchase it in cash on SQ and got marched over and put on the SQ flight without having to pay a cent.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually, just did a quick search on flyertalk for "oversold first". Seeing if NH does it. And it doesn't appear they do. But the second result to pop up is BA overselling first on a 241. So, not uncommon?

It does diminish the whole experience, having to worry about whether or not you're getting your seat. Just another reason first on BA isn't all that (but we already knew it wasn't).
How many examples have been reported of (a) anyone bring downgraded F to J; and (b) those using Avios and 2for1 certificates?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:03 pm

How many examples have been reported of (a) anyone bring downgraded F to J; and (b) those using Avios and 2for1 certificates?
I don't know, but on a quick google for flyertalk on downgraded from first it pops up a thread from 2006 on being bumped using a 241.
Can you find me any examples on other airlines? Period?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
At least 4 that can be found quickly here on FT using basic search - plenty of other noise regarding poorly and/or suspiciously targeted BA downgrades on other sites.

Given the recent trajectory on overall customer service approach and cost cutting it is a safe working assumption that BA is actively minimizing the cost of invol downgrades.

I would like to know i) how to avoid this happening to me/my family if at all possible and ii) if the worst were to happen how to fight the good fight.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:48 pm

I don't know, but on a quick google for flyertalk on downgraded from first it pops up a thread from 2006 on being bumped using a 241.
Can you find me any examples on other airlines? Period?
Why should I do all your legwork? It is you who is scaremongering! F to J downgrades are very rare on BA, indeed there aren't that many reported here.

Almost all airlines oversell their aircraft and have to IDB or downgrade passengers, this is not unique to or a particular quirk of BA.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat
I had an incident where I had booked an Avios redemption with the 241 voucher in First on a 777-200 (14 F seats). Months out it got subbed to a 787-9 (8 F seats). What happened was that BA downgraded us to CW even though they had revenue seats still open in F! Their phone agents on multiple calls confirmed we had been downgraded and only offered the Avios difference of F and CW.

After being very persistent and threatening with EC261, they finally put us back in F and blamed an IT glitch for the downgrade in the first place

Just another data point for 241s being targeted.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:05 pm

Why should I do all your legwork? It is you who is scaremongering! F to J downgrades are very rare on BA, indeed there aren't that many reported here.

Almost all airlines oversell their aircraft and have to IDB or downgrade passengers, this is not unique to or a particular quirk of BA.
Actually, that is not true. NH doesn't oversell. I doubt SQ does. Nor CX.

You aren't doing any legwork for me. You are stating facts that are simply not true. What does "rare" mean? What does "almost all airlines" mean? All except for one? Two? Three?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:07 pm

I can see why you are the BA Ambassador. So is this how BA handles these downgrades? Telling customers it is very rare. All the other airlines do it too.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:23 pm

I can see why you are the BA Ambassador. So is this how BA handles these downgrades? Telling customers it is very rare. All the other airlines do it too.
I am a FlyerTalk Ambassador, not a BA Ambassador

And yes, other airlines do it too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.