Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BA silver
i have looked on the BA site and can't see where it specifies payments by contactless cards only.Where is this info?
I have refused to have a contactless card. So do people have to dehydrate now if they don't have one?
Also on my connecting flight before flying F, are they really expecting us to pay even for a glass of water?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fiona
I have refused to have a contactless card.
I don't even know what one is. I doubt very much you can get them here anyway.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA silver
pre departure f&b order
Want to take the stress out of waiting to be served? Pre- order your M&S plain food and drink. Our latest enhancemint means there will be a pick up point at the plane enterance where our handy re-usable cardboard box will be filled with your choice from our selection of savoury nibbles and indulgent treets plus our specially designed sytrofoam cups of wine or beer. We are proud to say
BA- SERVES YOU RIGHT!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:32 am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
i have looked on the BA site and can't see where it specifies payments by contactless cards only.Where is this info?
I have refused to have a contactless card. So do people have to dehydrate now if they don't have one?
Also on my connecting flight before flying F, are they really expecting us to pay even for a glass of water?
You can also pay by debit and credit card and yes if you want a bottle of water you have to pay, if you are happy with a glass of water from the tap there is no charge.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
I have several affected flights and others not (CE)

Has anyone successfully claimed the 1000 avios mentioned in the wiki and is it per person and per sector?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you
if you are happy with a glass of water from the tap there is no charge.
Will that even be offered though, or do we have to tell the against-their-will sales team when they come through with the mobile shop that we'd appreciate them returning to the galley to get us a glass of included-in-the-price-of-your-ticket water?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I wish the FA's lots of luck with all these enhancements, it won't be easy.
Am i affected?
Yes, ukdomestic (GLA/EDI) / LHR/LCY - AMS with an open bar makes the time go faster and have a moment's relief. Ok, i could go without alcohol but i feel diddled not even getting a cup of tea
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Am I affected? Realistically not, since we seem to book into CE JER-LGW before flying onwards.

BUT ... our first genuine ET booking for next March (JER-LGW) will be impacted. We can survive 35-45 minutes in the air, but it's the whole BA "DOWNGRADE" thing that gets me. I was looking at U2 out of JER last evening, when my iMac decided to die on me* ... perhaps that's another BA 'enhancement'?

We now minimise our expenditure with BA. From 100% to around 25%, it seems.

* The posted from my new iMac 27"
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:01 pm

I'm making a mental note now in case I book any BA flights after January. If I can't sit in the first couple of rows, I will have to choose the back rows. Not being gold I can't choose row 1 so I usually try for the exit row. But now, with trollies likely to be blocking the aisle for most of the flight, I want to make sure I can visit the loo easily if I need it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:09 pm

It's not contactless cards only. It's cards only - no cash. Both contactless and non-contactless cards will be accepted.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by compass31
I'm making a mental note now in case I book any BA flights after January. If I can't sit in the first couple of rows, I will have to choose the back rows. Not being gold I can't choose row 1 so I usually try for the exit row. But now, with trollies likely to be blocking the aisle for most of the flight, I want to make sure I can visit the loo easily if I need it.
In reality on short flights, the trolley is blocking the aisle for most of the flight already. Hence why many ET pax use the CE loo.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
So my M&S £4.50 lunch time meal deal will become the £7.50 BA meal deal. Pfft! I would rather not eat.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:41 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You can also pay by debit and credit card and yes if you want a bottle of water you have to pay, if you are happy with a glass of water from the tap there is no charge.
Is the (free) water going to be from the airplane tap or from a big bottle?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Ziz
Is the (free) water going to be from the airplane tap or from a big bottle?
I am sure it'll remain from the big bottles as BA does it now. I can't even think how you can do tap water on an airplane.

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 30, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.