Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by o0herbie
Even empty containers of greater than 100ml are technically banned.
Is that actually the case in LHR?

Or anywhere?

I'd love to know where that rule is enforced - because surely to be consistent they would have to ban the sale of any liquids and/or containers past security. Airlines, too, would surely have to ensure that any bottles used in-flight are confiscated from disembarking passengers on arrival (at least in airports where transferring pax don't need security screening, or where arriving and departing pax mix).

If an empty bottle is such a threat, then the ne'er-do-well intent to cause problems with an empty bottle will merely grab one from the airside shop [or just buy one!], and empty its contents - therby obtaining that same dangerous empty bottle that was just confiscated from them, and foiling the finest minds that create these elaborate security theatre pieces...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I'd imagine the lounges are next in the firing line. Alex Cruz is not of the opinion that things are included in the ticket price, rather they are things that BA are giving away for free.

Let's have a look. Firstly Avios comp was limited (giving them away), then food in s/h (giving it away) so how long do you really think other benefits are going to last with this mentality?
I fear our mutual friend will be the subject of several two-man focus groups at the next event!!

I have not regretted moving 80% of my short-haul flights to *A this year.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by megaloman
One of these would be enough for a short haul flight: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CamelBak-Ed...dp/B00NTYHTYE/
I always fill up my Camelbak in the lounge before I leave. I get really dehydrated and it means I'm not constantly asking for water on board. I do get some funny looks on occasion, though. However, sometimes this is the only thing I have consumed in the lounge. In GC I don't often bother with booze (if you’re reading this BA, I am in the minority and this should not be enhanced!).

Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by NickB
I do not know which airline you flew that has a 7kg hand baggage limit but it is neither Easyjet nor Ryanair. Ryanair has a 10 kg limit plus one small bag. Easyjet, as noted by orbitmic, has no weight limit at all on hand baggage (just size).
Swiss.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for drinking your own booze - the crew will be too busy selling on SH flights to notice. If they don't notice people using phones during taxiing, why will they bother to spot illicit hooch?
Now that BA is an LCC, they will be like the other LCCs where staff are very good at spotting who is "getting high on their own supply".

It's against rules and regulations and we all know how disruptive drunks on board can be.

Not currently an issue for BA travellers - but they're now in LCC territory where it happens more frequently.

Besides - it's illegal to drink your own alcohol on board. They will be watching!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Is that actually the case in LHR?

Or anywhere?
Seems to have been relaxed. A quick google certainly shows the TSA took a hard line to start with. Like many others, I ignore it anyway.

The idea was that you could bring in lots of small volumes of bad stuff and mix it up in a bigger bottle. As others have pointed out, nothing stops you buying a bigger bottle airside.

Anyway, back to the BA-bashing
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just seen this gem from BA on Twitter:

"previously the catering provided was complementary the cost of which was not included in the fare"

Do they think we are stupid? Of course the cost is included in the fare. How else do they pay for it?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain

"previously the catering provided was complementary the cost of which was not included in the fare"

Do they think we are stupid? Of course the cost is included in the fare. How else do they pay for it?
That one's been trotted out, and commented on, several times already

Apparently some nameless benefactor has been paying for Euro Traveller catering all these years, bless him! But he's now broke and can't pay past January 10
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I've seen travellers in USA filling their empty bottles with water airside. Don't see a problem with it in Europie. Good idea with filling it at lounges :-)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain

I challenged that several times yesterday on twitter, with no response by BA. It is a ridiculous suggestion as you say since complimentary f&b was clearly shown and included in domestic and ET fares. It has been trotted out by BA when anyone has asked what they are due back for bookings made prior to yesterday for travel beyond 11 January.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:38 am

Even empty containers of greater than 100ml are technically banned.
I routinely take empty water bottles through security in the UK and abroad and have never ever had anyone take issue with it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by megaloman
Water is easy - take an empty bottle through the security and fill it with water at the lounge. Cans of beer can be easily smuggled out (done it once for the Iberia operated flight to Madrid ) Not sure what the policy about consumption of alcohol brought on board would be - most LCC ban drinking your own alcohol.
Depends on the crew. I've seen it happen once before, on BA. I won't say when and from where. But it happened.

They even let them drink during take-off roll (I moved my electronic equipment for fear of spillage).

I highly doubt any of this was normal procedure at all.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I challenged that several times yesterday on twitter, with no response by BA. It is a ridiculous suggestion as you say since complimentary f&b was clearly shown and included in domestic and ET fares. It has been trotted out by BA when anyone has asked what they are due back for bookings made prior to yesterday for travel beyond 11 January.
This is ridiculously poor communications. They should flat out be saying "If you bought your ticket before today, contact our customer services and we'll credit your account with Avios to buy yourself a drink and a snack"
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Makes you actually feel good about YQ doesn't it... at least we are specifically charged for fuel so it's unlikely that Cruz could enhance that away and make us flap our arms instead...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markle
This is ridiculously poor communications. They should flat out be saying "If you bought your ticket before today, contact our customer services and we'll credit your account with Avios to buy yourself a drink and a snack"
Indeed. I shall be filing my claim once I count up how many flights of mine it affects - probably around 18-20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.