FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

ahmetdouas Mar 6, 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Strawb (Post 27997488)
BA FNC-LGW recently, a 3hr 40 min flight with no lounge access (have status but no priority pass) so had no option but to BOB. Shambolic all the way, took over 2hrs to complete a full flight. No sandwiches, only hot bacon or mozzarella rolls available. Wanted a Greek style yoghurt, was told none left, only two (!) were loaded on the outbound, no Appeltiser, had to settle for Sprite instead.

My companion had the bacon roll, bun was warm, bacon was stone cold in the middle. He didn't want to send it back as the crew were struggling with service so just left it. One crew member was serving and taking payment, the other was replenishing the trolley and hot water jugs and pouring them for tea and coffee whilst literally dashing to and from the rear galley every few minutes and coming back with supplies. Looked like almost everyone in each row wanted something and all I could hear were apologies, we are out of this and that.

Duty free cart made it to row 14 where we were seated and then had to be stopped as the Captain announced 10 mins to landing. I did speak to the crew after landing, privately and away from passengers, to let them know the bacon roll was served cold and told them I wasn't complaining, just informing them to ensure it won't happen in future. The crew really worked their socks off on that flight! They did tell me it is 3 mins to heat up a bacon roll, and were grateful for my feedback. I assumed they might have heated up more than one roll at the same time.

This may be a waste of time, but do send BA a refund claim!

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by London32 (Post 27997411)
Flew LHR - EDI Friday. First BOB experience was great, yes it's caused controversy but I actually don't mind it. If you can't change it, move with the times.

The service was fast, efficient and a great crew. As we mostly fly Club, I probably won't experience it very often but if we do, absolutely fine.

Gasp.

You have been clearly softened to BA's mediocre service that you're now happy with anything that doesn't go wrong. While you are not going to experience it as you are one of the minority flying Business, the rest of us flying Y exclusively will get a worse than budget airline service with a high fare airline.

And yes it was an under one hour flight. The uptake should have been very low. Talk to other passengers that fly to ATH, SOF, BUH, LPA, FUE, GIB, RAK, etc... They beg to differ. Service is slow, awful and the choice is sometimes non existent on return flights.

And wait till CE is introduced on domestics, it will be shambles again with the number of CCs being used to serve the CE cabin.

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Strawb (Post 27997488)
My companion had the bacon roll, bun was warm, bacon was stone cold in the middle. He didn't want to send it back as the crew were struggling with service so just left it.

If you don't complain, service won't improve. Bun should have been sent be to be heated again or you should have asked for a refund. It is not your fault if they CC was overwhelmed.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 6, 2017 6:11 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 27997536)
Talk to other passengers that fly to ATH, SOF, BUH, LPA, FUE, GIB, RAK, etc... They beg to differ. Service is slow, awful and the choice is sometimes non existent on return flights.

I appreciate this is an opinion thread but I think it would help if you put the word "some", "can", "may" or, at a pinch "often" in there occasionally. I'm sure the world of Twitter is reporting some bad experiences, equally I presume the 10,000 passengers who every day succeed in buying something have their Tweets going in. I've done OTP, ATH, IST in the last 3 weeks and not seen any issue in either direction, just one person's experience and I reiterate I'm not a devout fan of BoB. Earlier today I took a LCC flight and it took 2 hours, out of 3, to get to my row 13. A few items had gone off stock by the time it got to me. No-one rioted.

elitetraveler Mar 6, 2017 6:33 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27997573)
I appreciate this is an opinion thread but I think it would help if you put the word "some", "can", "may" or, at a pinch "often" in there occasionally. I'm sure the world of Twitter is reporting some bad experiences, equally I presume the 10,000 passengers who every day succeed in buying something have their Tweets going in. I've done OTP, ATH, IST in the last 3 weeks and not seen any issue in either direction, just one person's experience and I reiterate I'm not a devout fan of BoB. Earlier today I took a LCC flight and it took 2 hours, out of 3, to get to my row 13. A few items had gone off stock by the time it got to me. No-one rioted.

Two BOB complaints in the last 53 minutes of Twitter feed (plus one dirty seat - a dried food crusted onto the side panel of a CW seat).

Clearly BA is having some kinks in the implementation.

I am surprised as such a strong advocate and clearly very good insider connections that you wouldn't be advocating a more honest approach to dealing with it. It would go a long way I am sure if AC took on BOB as his "mistake of the month" and addressed why food shortages are still happening regularly - and perhaps do something like bringing back free tea and coffee - I mean show that BA management gives a hoot.

These situations can be turned into a positive if management responds appropriately. Head in sand and saying, 'my experience on LCCs wasn't that great" is hardly how you run a premium airline.

I'm sure some feedback from somebody who solidly defends BA would carry a bit of weight.

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 6:55 am

I think when every second day a flight from RAK, ATH or GIB heads back to London without any food options, you would assume NO ONE from the whole Y cabin would have enjoyed his/her flight even if only 1 complains on twitter.

The BoB in itself is a very cheap for a brand like BA with all their insulting alternative facts claims about bringing more choice, not charging inflated prices lie LCC or a customers have asked for it. Its implementation is even worse. We are now almost 2 months and tweets continue. And I think, the number of complaints about other aspects of the BA's cheap service or non service are increasing (dirty planes, shabby interiors, long-haul food, no lounges, etc...).

I have been on BoB 2 sectors where the service was swift. They were short flights to and from Brussels with a maximum of 3 sales valuing a maximum of £12. That is indeed very impressive. Congratulations to British Airways for the fantastic service, lol!

And to tell you the truth, I have complained and got a call from customer service (I am Gold) and I explained all the service deterioration in Y both SH and LH. The lady on the phone was apologetic and told me sincerely there isn't anything that can be done and that I was right the airline could be compared to an LCC.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 6, 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 27997663)
I'm sure some feedback from somebody who solidly defends BA would carry a bit of weight.

I'll just point out that I don't defend either the principle of BoB or the implementation, particularly the TourPOS, and you'll find more comments from me about that in this and the other threads. The stock levels will get sorted out, every unsold sarnie is a missed opportunity under the new dispensation, arguably this is a situation where it's proved to be too successful. But we also need to realistic and accurate: implying this a total disaster on every flight south of Orly would be incorrect. And I certainly can see plenty of scope for improvement (e.g. giving out water cuplets liberally on request, meal deals, pre-paid meal trays).

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 7:04 am

Earlier today I took a LCC flight and it took 2 hours, out of 3, to get to my row 13. A few items had gone off stock by the time it got to me. No-one rioted.

I am glad you confirm BA is an LCC now!

Strawb Mar 6, 2017 7:07 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 27997545)
If you don't complain, service won't improve. Bun should have been sent be to be heated again or you should have asked for a refund. It is not your fault if they CC was overwhelmed.

I actually told my companion to send it back to be reheated but he couldn't be fussed. If it was me I would definitely have sent it back. I didn't complain but I did inform the crew as I have already mentioned and they did apologise and say we should have called them to reheat it.

elitetraveler Mar 6, 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27997746)
I'll just point out that I don't defend either the principle of BoB or the implementation, particularly the TourPOS, and you'll find more comments from me about that in this and the other threads. The stock levels will get sorted out, every unsold sarnie is a missed opportunity under the new dispensation, arguably this is a situation where it's proved to be too successful. But we also need to realistic and accurate: implying this a total disaster on every flight south of Orly would be incorrect. And I certainly can see plenty of scope for improvement (e.g. giving out water cuplets liberally on request, meal deals, pre-paid meal trays).

I don't think the sky is falling. You've made it clear on your flights, there haven't been any problems, which is neither here nor there, as there have been problems on plenty of other flights.

We do know from cabin crew:

- There was very little training
- The training was done on prototype systems that didn't reflect the actual Day 1 systems
- Most of the training was spent doing staff PR with case studies of other companies that didn't change with the times, instead of hands on, here's how it works
- The very little training was done months in advance
- There was no corporate support at the launch - for example, there apparently weren't any technology reps aboard flights to support the cabin crew - see it's break downs
- It was rolled out without the touch payment in place

We also know 2 months on, they haven't figured out inventories - perhaps because by underloading inventory they have yet to figure out true demand -

We can debate whether or not for the purposes of brand and brand positioning if they should have offered free tea, coffee and bottled water poured into cups and whether they should have offered some free food to high fare and CIP pax, however the points above are just bad management implementation.

Again, my point was AC could probably net everything into a positive by saying, "I am featuring myself as mistake of the month" and honestly tell customers, "we shouldn't have done a bit better - and here's what we are doing to get things humming - plus enjoy a cup of tea whenever you fly BA"

It would be a low-cost way to move the narrative in the right direction.

glenmore_saveloy Mar 6, 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 27997736)
And to tell you the truth, I have complained and got a call from customer service (I am Gold) and I explained all the service deterioration in Y both SH and LH. The lady on the phone was apologetic and told me sincerely there isn't anything that can be done and that I was right the airline could be compared to an LCC.

I had this call too, and informed them I wouldn't be travelling with BA again, as there are now better options from ABZ. (LH, SAS, KLM, AF - all of which offer business class and food and beverages.(even if it is the same as CE))

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 7:49 am

These are 3 tweets that came less than an hour ago.

BA6948 Mar 6, 2017 7:52 am

Aus_Mal Mar 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Is the following theoretically possible? Screenshot the BA App, modify the Barcode to be a different number. Present on flight.

Note I'm saying theoretically. What is actually recorded when you use the app? I'm sure ff number can't be validated while in the air, and if seat number isn't registered, how do they know who used an invalid number?

FlyerTalker39574 Mar 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 28019921)
Is the following theoretically possible? Screenshot the BA App, modify the Barcode to be a different number. Present on flight.

Note I'm saying theoretically. What is actually recorded when you use the app? I'm sure ff number can't be validated while in the air, and if seat number isn't registered, how do they know who used an invalid number?

I think they are supposed to check you are using the app and not showing a screenshot.