FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

orbitmic Nov 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 27502483)
It's true when I have flown IB that they have come to give me an Espresso or something. At least that is what I ask for, as unlike BA they have a machine. Perhaps they discontinued this or I am just very Premium?

I'm lost now - do you mean that when you fly IB Y, you ask for an espresso from C and they bring it to you every time? Great to know but I'll admit to being quite surprised!

Flexible preferences Nov 19, 2016 3:27 pm

No. Despite my youth my memory is still fresh of the blue plus tier in Diamond Club and how it was used as an entry level benefit to an otherwise useless card like bronze. Carriers give free drinks to elite in addition to the complimentary offering like on AA or AY.

It's true when I have flown IB that they have come to give me an Espresso or something. At least that is what I ask for, as unlike BA they have a machine. Perhaps they discontinued this or I am just very Premium?

Its not about selling. It's also about saving money by giving free stuff to pax who don't really need it.

I am most confused by every single sentence of your post.

hugolover Nov 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27502645)
I am most confused by every single sentence of your post.

Break it down piece by piece for me. I fear I don't have the written eloquence to restate it another way, but I will try.

Perhaps start by Googling diamond club blue plus? It was part of an airline called bmi, who BA acquired in 2012. See what that is about. It might become clearer what I am referring to and how it's been done before.

AY and AA, that's Finnair and American Airlines manage to provide superior beverages from the BOB selection to Emerald card holders despite having a basic offering free to all. I have already said I believe a move to total BOB is a mistake.

Regarding IB (Iberia main line, not even Nostrum) Travelling in Y, I have been offered Espresso from C when the purser comes around. This is what I ask for, as I like the gimmick of a real coffee in short haul C. I am aware of another Flyertalker with the same experiences as I. I thought it was the standard actually.

Calchas Nov 20, 2016 1:45 am

I am just very Premium?

I don't think that is the explanation :D

Lioneye Nov 21, 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye (Post 27349385)
Can anyone confirm if the refunds include seat fees? I will be cancelling May flights next week and have paid for exit seats x2 both ways.

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 27349479)
Surely any seat costs will be included. Although I suppose you can't rule out some stunt. Maybe some bonus form filling.

Surprise surprise.......................I've received a refund net of the seat costs................I've replied requesting the outstanding £72.

ahmetdouas Nov 21, 2016 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye (Post 27509203)
Surprise surprise.......................I've received a refund net of the seat costs................I've replied requesting the outstanding £72.

Good, fight them for every penny! Let us know how it goes!

TheMajor Nov 23, 2016 1:48 pm

My girlfriend is cabin crew and she had her "training" about BOB last Friday. You will be pleased to know, staff will be fully up to date, on the products, their ingredients and the history of the institution that is M&S.

HMPS Nov 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheMajor (Post 27519644)
My girlfriend is cabin crew and she had her "training" about BOB last Friday. You will be pleased to know, staff will be fully up to date, on the products, their ingredients and the history of the institution that is M&S.

Do get first hand reports from her on pax comments and revenues.

simons1 Nov 24, 2016 12:10 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 27502034)
While I firmly believe that removing the free drink and snack is a huge mistake in their efforts to separate their product from the LCC's there wouldn't be half the complaints here if they had decided to provide free drinks and snacks to status holders.

Ideally they would start at Bronze, which could have effectively been sold to naive pax as an upgrade & pushes more incentives for loyalty. As they will upgrade the products in order to sell BOB (Jeez, they cannot possibly charge for a cup of BA "superbrew"...that stuff is undrinkable past Row 1) we would probably see it as a big upgrade. Better drinks and nicer food. This would have had significant savings, because not every pax would be eligible and those who choose to, would be paying for the drinks and snacks.

Even on the shortest flights it would have been easy because the uptake of BOB is limited. BMI managed it quite well on MAN and BRU and they also used the MCD for a 2-class service.

Let's remind ourselves that even on IB (for AY as its not IAG), Emerald's 9/10 times get a free drink in the Y BOB cabin. BA says, sorry, IB is a premium carrier we are not.

The difference is that since the BMI days there has been a general trend of 'dumbing down'. Some of the skills and experience that airlines had 10 years ago are no longer there.

I imagine as a result BA have just decided that is is too much trouble to differentiate, and in any case where would you draw the line (presumably one rung below one's own status).

You could imagine some of the petty arguments - "well I qualified for silver on my inbound flight last night" and all that stuff.

At least this way everyone knows where they stand (or sit).

hungry Nov 24, 2016 8:53 am

I only have one flight in economy that was booked before the announcement.

Flying to Newcastle and Back in March 2017. My friend booked it for me with his Avios.

Can I claim the bonus Avios reward for this flight because it was booked with the advertised free food/drink available on board?

How do I go about doing this? And how many can I hope to achieve.

Thanks

FlyingScientist Nov 24, 2016 11:24 am

Originally Posted by TheMajor (Post 27519644)

Couldn't they instead invest in "training" on how to check bags through on separate PNRs?

Bearface Nov 24, 2016 12:59 pm

I feel sorry for the cabin crew. Minimum crewing and trying to sell BoB on short flights. Will the pursers come out from behind the curtain at all? As well as selling the stuff, I imagine there will be stock takes before and after each flight and the associated paperwork. At least it's cashless - have you ever seen easyJet crew manically counting up towards the end of a flight?

What happens if the credit card machine goes down?

I wonder how BACF crew will manage from next summer with one flight attendant in Euro Traveler?

HMPS Nov 24, 2016 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist (Post 27523169)
Couldn't they instead invest in "training" on how to check bags through on separate PNRs?

Shhhhhh....you just gave them a chargeable enhancement ! ;)

londonba2014 Nov 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by hungry (Post 27522622)
I only have one flight in economy that was booked before the announcement.

Flying to Newcastle and Back in March 2017. My friend booked it for me with his Avios.

Can I claim the bonus Avios reward for this flight because it was booked with the advertised free food/drink available on board?

How do I go about doing this? And how many can I hope to achieve.

Thanks

Yep - I got my compensation on an Avios booking - just message Customer Service explain you'd booked before changed and wanted Avios to compensate for this - shouldn't be a problem!

kauppias Nov 24, 2016 10:50 pm

It just occurred to me this fine snowy morning how these changes affect ME :)

Last night I noticed decent WTP pricing to the USA. I was ready to book 4 trips... but then I started weighing the whole picture and decided against booking them with ba and went with another carrier in Premium economy for all 4 trips!

Why? BOB! Might be silly but why do I want to pay when I can get it for free on another airline?

I am lucky enough to have status on a few collected airlines. It doesnt affect me drastically as I am still going from A to LHR to B but if enough of us do the same it will certainly hurt the ba bottom line, thus managment bonuses!

If only ba offered a reasonable S/H premium cabin option on WTP fares...