Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Happy CC, lower overheads, Pax don't care ... win, win, win??

However, on a Band 4 .....
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Have just experienced a BoB flight on AB. Seemingly no takers judging by the time it took to wheel the trolley aft and forwards. That gave the cabin crew (2 of them in the front galley area) plenty of time to chat behind closed curtains for the majority of the flight time. Doc Copper.
But on a BA LBA or MAN ( if the nose wheel works after todays issues .. 19/10/17 of it is due to a maintenance issue . ) .. they cannot with current crew supply a full Y class service in any ones dreams after Jan 11th with a FULL BOB service .. Who is Willy or Cruz trying to dupe in thinking thinking that CC can supply this service .. or are they now just an expensive EZ
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Have just experienced a BoB flight on AB. Seemingly no takers judging by the time it took to wheel the trolley aft and forwards. That gave the cabin crew (2 of them in the front galley area) plenty of time to chat behind closed curtains for the majority of the flight time. Doc Copper.
Is this a cultural thing? I understand that Germans generally are quite frugal and if something isn't priced keenly or doesn't provide good value then they are unlikely to buy onboard.

Whereas people from the UK are more accustomed to charter flights and Ryanair and Easyjet and more happy to pay for things onboard?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

I remember a Cypriot hotelier years ago telling me they were happy to take a lower rate from a UK tour op vs a German one as we more than made up for it with spending there whereas Germans tended to do their own thing
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I am unsure whether it was a cultural issue or not. CC did not ask passengers individually if they wished to purchase something (and I doubt there would have been time to do this on a 55 minute flight). Instead CC pushed the trolley asking a general question if anyone wanted to purchase any food & drink. I asked for some water and was advised that I would have to pay. I declined the offer. Doctor Copper
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
This can also be said about the Dutch who are very price sensitive and have eye to spot inflated pricing. On 2 past transavia HV flights to BCN there were no takers at 7 am. On a trip to hugardha egypt the plane was delayed and departed late making people's stomach's growl for dinner. The few hot options were sold out halfway the cabin leaving my husband to quel his hunger with just overpriced salted nuts. After the same flight also had a delayed unexpected transit stop in sharm el sheik everything was sold out for the return flight as catering was loaded b2b with out replenshiments. I felt sorry for the poor sods who were going to fly home discouvering no bob available.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Looks like the preparation of their supply chain for BoB is underway.

Noticed on my domestic flight last night that the gin on offer is Bombay Sapphire, which is the gin of choice on the M&S menu.

A temporary genuine enhancement
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Could we see free stuff off the menu in Y for BAEC Gold and/or OWE?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Absolutely no chance.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
This causes a lot of problems in practice http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post20360468
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by percysmith
This causes a lot of problems in practice http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post20360468
I honestly think that's a false problem and would be, for BA, a false excuse: AA have done it for years, SK have done it for years, BD used to do it and now AY does, SN has done it for years on another criterion. I've been on hundreds of flights where within the same cabin, some people have received free items from the BoB menu because of their status, fare, or itinerary. I've never experienced a problem of that type and at any rate in Europe, I never read about one on FT. In fact I have read many many more complaints about priority boarding by people who think they have queued for longer and we don't stop priority boarding as a result.

Bottom line is that BA won't give freebies to status passengers not because this would be an issue but because their policy on monetisation and ancillaries as evidenced by both seat selection and checked luggage on HBO fares is that the only difference between status passengers and status less passengers for BA is that whilst they/we are all milk cows, status cows are fatter cows from which more milk is effectively expected and will thus hopefully be collected (including offensive idiocies on how they should expense the milk to their employer anyway).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Interesting read, but on the other hand AA manage to give away premium drinks and snacks to OW EMD without any problems. Basically when they get to your row they ask if you want any complimentary items as you are EMD.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:33 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yes CX's problem is that the FAs don't just say to those who additionally request water "Sorry, we only offer this to our top status passengers".
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
Yes CX's problem is that the FAs don't just say to those who additionally request water "Sorry, we only offer this to our top status passengers".
I don't think the BA crew would have any problem saying that!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
Is this a cultural thing? I understand that Germans generally are quite frugal and if something isn't priced keenly or doesn't provide good value then they are unlikely to buy onboard.

Whereas people from the UK are more accustomed to charter flights and Ryanair and Easyjet and more happy to pay for things onboard?
As a German in London I'd say yes that's true. I'm still surprised how easy the brits get out their Cards and buy (expensive) things on board. I think that also the 'self catering', 'individualism' and 'best-value-for-money-behaviour' of Germans is mostly true. (Probably thanks to half a century of Aldi & Lidl)

But of course I'm biased and I'm like that too. Almost never buy on board, rather buying a cheap-ish Boots water bottle at the airport. Won't have a massive effect for BA though. I guess the short routes like Germany won't be BOB Cash-Cows anyway. More likely Brit's on the way to the sun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.