Wiki Posts
Search

No show for final leg of BA flight in UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avois Easyjet
No show for final leg of BA flight in UK

We are flying with BA on LAX to London , then an internal flight to another UK airport all on one ticket , what happens if one of us does not want to take the final leg, and stay in London, and will they book luggage to London only from LAX, these are the flights home after being in LAX.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk K2kvk.

As this topic is of a BA booking, please follow the thread redirect to the BA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is no guarantee that they will short check.

How long is there between the two flights?

Even the excuse 'I have presents for someone / want to change clothes' etc won't always work as the check-in staff can legitimately say 'but you won't have time to clear immigration / customs / do that and then check-in in time'

I saw a report recently that VS refused a short check on that basis - there was only a couple of hours between the scheduled arrival and departure.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Short answer: Nothing will happen, but there are complexities

Long answer: Experience dictates that American agents are more reticent to short-check bags, so you may have difficulty doing this. However depending on how long your connection is, there's nothing to stop this individual offloading themselves at LHR connections and asking for their bags.

You should be aware that there is a small risk of BA taking follow-up action on this, as offloading yourself at LHR (even if you make 'seemingly reasonable' excuses as UKtravelbear says) would mean you'd be engaging in the practice of 'throwaway ticketing' which is against BA's T&Cs. But if you do it the once, you should be OK - there's very little evidence on the forum of BA taking this further.

Just to also add - if you try to change the second leg of the ticket before flying, this would trigger a reprice.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
But this is UK vs....UK, where pricing from, say, NCL, vs LHR won't be hugely different. I.e.not the same scenario as dumping that last DUB leg.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by snuffi
But this is UK vs....UK, where pricing from, say, NCL, vs LHR won't be hugely different. I.e.not the same scenario as dumping that last DUB leg.
Agree completely, but would still be repriced. Not sure if at historic fare rate though, assuming first leg has already been flown? Is that fare rule dependent?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by obduro
Agree completely, but would still be repriced. Not sure if at historic fare rate though, assuming first leg has already been flown? Is that fare rule dependent?
why would it be re-priced if completing the trip in the same country?

we have done this before with no trouble. simply advised the BA staff at LHR we were not flying on to BHD, as a matter of courtesy rather than being no-shows. Zero stress and no re-pricing!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Agents at LAX generally will not short-check bags. They do not really care about silly excuses as the ticketed destination is XXX, not LHR and that is where the bag goes. People ask all the time and the answer will invariably be "no". So, ask, but plan on "no".

In theory, the bags should be off-loaded at LHR (or if the system works right, not loaded) when you don't board. This may mean that the internal flight is delayed and it certainly means that you will need to hang around waiting for your bags because finding them will be the last of BA's priorities.

Given generous cabin allowances, simply don't check bags and all will be well on this front.

It is simply not worth arguing about hidden city ticket fraud. There are tons of threads about it and just as many views. The answer is that nobody here is qualified to answer the question about what BA may or may not do in the future.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
why would it be re-priced if completing the trip in the same country?

we have done this before with no trouble. simply advised the BA staff at LHR we were not flying on to BHD, as a matter of courtesy rather than being no-shows. Zero stress and no re-pricing!
The example you give is different.

Say you have a NCL - LHR - SFO / SFO - LHR - NCL ticket. You complete the outbound journey and embark on the return. If you turn up at LHR and say I don't want to fly the final leg, there won't be a reprice as you have flown one leg of the return journey already.

If you call in advance of the SFO - LHR leg of the return and say you wish to amend your journey, there will be a reprice, as even if it's in the UK there will be a historical fare difference between the original and amended itinerary. This is to what I am referring and what others have experienced.

Worth noting I did advocate the approach you state in my original post though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.