Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by scubadu
That is fair and I accept that, but in these rapidly changing times I think we all owe it to ourselves to look up from the proverbial "status earning treadmill" and ensure that we are getting value for our spend. I think some folks are doing that (I certainly am) but others seem to be just maniacally obsessed with obtaining status, irregardless of value
1 of the (probably unintended) consequences of the widespread devaluing of FFP's over recent times has been to prompt many to do just as you describe.

If BAEC were to make the kind of fundamental restyle that we have seen from AA that will test the resolve of even the most committed status chaser.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I'm sorry to re-post this question, but I've read the first and last 10 pages of this topic and still need some clarification:

If I book (on aa.com) an AA flight today for travel in December, on a 2-class aircraft, for under 2000 miles, in A (first) class, will I receive 60 or 40 TP's?

Another way to ask this is: Will 2-class flights in First with travel dates before January be re-coded into a business class coding on 12 Nov or will they leave flights alone that are already booked?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by StingWest
I'm sorry to re-post this question, but I've read the first and last 10 pages of this topic and still need some clarification:

If I book (on aa.com) an AA flight today for travel in December, on a 2-class aircraft, for under 2000 miles, in A (first) class, will I receive 60 or 40 TP's?

Another way to ask this is: Will 2-class flights in First with travel dates before January be re-coded into a business class coding on 12 Nov or will they leave flights alone that are already booked?

Thanks!
I have seen no official confirmation but it has been suggested that the new rules (which are still not clear) will come into effect after 11 JAN 2017 so any prior travel should follow the current rules. This is of particular interest to me as I have 3 AA >2000 mile flights booked in A and P during the first week of 2017. I need to book some flights later in the year and have decided that it will make no difference if I book before 12 November.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I have seen no official confirmation but it has been suggested that the new rules (which are still not clear) will come into effect after 11 JAN 2017 so any prior travel should follow the current rules.
AA aren't likely to communicate this officially, they've posted a memo for their agents internally and you'll just see the schedule change email once it happens.

Check the Wiki on the AA thread for this, they have a screenshot of the memo:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...te-2016-a.html

Originally Posted by JonNYC
To occur 12 Nov 2016, simultaneously with the next schedule change, tickets for travel 11 Jan 2017 and later will be reissued to show the new coding (JonNYC). (The seating and service will remain as it is now; only coding will be changed to allow future coding for AA's new Premium Economy class.)

The current "F" cabin on two class US50 will be changed to "C"

F will be recoded to J
A will be recoded to D
P will be recoded to I
R will be used, purpose unknown at this time
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Completely agree and never understood that either. If close to a next status level I get stretching, but mileage runs for "sundaes" was always rather nonsensical to me.
In the days where fares at 2-3 CPM would net you big bonuses because miles accrued at 100% of miles flown, PLUS any status bonuses, it made a certain amount of sense. The classic case is college students with lots of extra time doing weekend USA-SIN/HKG turns for EXP, then cashing in for CX F, then blogging about it (with links to credit cards)...

However, with USA-based airlines catching up to European/Asian airlines at making discounted fares accruing at rock-bottom rates, that has largely bit the dust.

That is fair and I accept that, but in these rapidly changing times I think we all owe it to ourselves to look up from the proverbial "status earning treadmill" and ensure that we are getting value for our spend. I think some folks are doing that (I certainly am) but others seem to be just maniacally obsessed with obtaining status, irregardless of value
Couldn't agree more. It made sense for me to "stretch" for AS MVPG status this year after not having it for a couple of years (and natural travel settling me in at MVP) because of the rebates on ticket changes I'll get, but that was a couple of hundred dollars. Those TP runs make me think "wow, you really like mediocre lounges with some free booze and packaged snacks, don't you"? I mean, I guess I MIGHT feel differently if I was traveling such that regular visits to the Pier in HKG (as opposed to the occasional one-off CX F redemption) might be reasonable goals to shoot for, but spending a thousand or thousands of dollars and lots of time on a run for elite status has to mean the benefit's extraordinary, because quite frankly I can turn a thousand dollars or more into a very nice trip all by itself. I would just as soon get to the airport and stroll up to my gate just as they start boarding rather than spend much time in a typical business class lounge in Europe, even if they are better than the paid lounges in the USA.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 2, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm not sure if this has been picked up already, but on the AA earning table there is now a note:

AA operated flights flown with two-cabin aircraft within the United States (including Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) may be branded as First Class, but will earn miles based on Business Class (J,D,I,R) booking codes.
So looks like there won't be any special earning for these flights branded as First Class. And who knows what will happen if the tickets were initially issued in F/P/A class (probably nothing).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm not sure if this has been picked up already, but on the AA earning table there is now a note:

So looks like there won't be any special earning for these flights branded as First Class. And who knows what will happen if the tickets were initially issued in F/P/A class (probably nothing).
Confirmed, unfortunately. See screenshot (I added the bolding effect):

Attached Images  
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Has there been any change to redemptions yet?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Has there been any change to redemptions yet?
I would assume accordingly redemption is based on the booking code. Not the "branded" class.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
I would assume accordingly redemption is based on the booking code. Not the "branded" class.
Let's hope so!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Has there been any suggestion anywhere, though, that the first class redemption booking code for 2-class US domestic services would change to U? If not, this would mean that redemption would still be at first level despite earnings being downgraded to business level.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:18 am
Suspended

Interesting to see it "in print" -- sorry guys!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
So I'm assuming that (for now, at least) using the term 'branded First Class' would mean that existing tickets in F/P/A codes still earn at 150%; and only the new J/D/I/R 'First Class' fares earn at 125%?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdtravels
So I'm assuming that (for now, at least) using the term 'branded First Class' would mean that existing tickets in F/P/A codes still earn at 150%; and only the new J/D/I/R 'First Class' fares earn at 125%?
If you are traveling before the switch next year, yes. If you are traveling after the switch, then the booking code will change in the next couple of weeks.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:20 pm

I bet a lot of people haven't realised the change has been confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.