Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LAX-LHR-DUB Delay Trashes Ex EU Itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LAX-LHR-DUB Delay Trashes Ex EU Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
In which case they might have to take BA826, arrive 4hrs later than expected and take the EU161 compo - everyone happy.
Indeed EC261, €600 all round, costs covered and happy days.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Next BA flights are :
LHR-DUB BA838 dep T5 1845 arr 2005
LHR-DUB BA826 dep T5 2135 arr 2255

Rebooked to :
LHR-DUB EI , in Economy, dep T2 dep 1910 arr 2025

The additional twist is that the delayed BA268 is ETA T5 at 1840, so the OP will miss the rebooked EI flight from T2.
And miss the BA838, which just leaves the BA826, which is well over three hours after the original ETA. So the OP will get 600€, or zero if they play hardball over the Aer Lingus rebooking (which can be argued but that's for the EC261 thread).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next time remember they are DUB flights from LCY...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
If you read the ex-DUB flight positioning thread, you will see I had a very similar experience to yours lat week. I had booked a Ryanair positioning flight but as I had baggage I chose the Business Plus fare. This was basically the same price as a normal fare (pus a bag), but also comes with priority boarding and significantly fully flexible date/time changes (to an alternate flight within +/- 3 days of original flight).

This meant for me, a no cost flight change to the fist flight the following morning and just the cost of the Dublin hotel.

I have submitted an EU claim, but no heard anything (only been a week though).

Recommend these Ryanair flights for others.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And miss the BA838, which just leaves the BA826, which is well over three hours after the original ETA. So the OP will get 600€, or zero if they play hardball over the Aer Lingus rebooking (which can be argued but that's for the EC261 thread).
Won't the OP have already been rebooked on the 20.10 EI departure from T2, as that meets the 90 minute MCT?

Annoyingly it will put him in Y and arrive in Dublin at 21.25, some 2hrs 40 minutes later than scheduled.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
Good responses from the collective ; and the OP's own attitude is for the most part* balanced, with swift & apparently effective reaction in managing the fallout from missed connections. The ramifications of an ex-EU going wrong are inevitably more complex/stressful (along with potentially significant additional expenditure) where family travel is involved.

* I say 'for the most part' because I was quite surprised by his description of posts as "becoming more aggressive" when in reality there seems little - if any - sign of inappropriate or unfair comment.
That was posted after response 4 where some bloke went for the jugular accusing me of wanting BA to pay for my mistakes when I perceived my request for advice as just that. I'm so glad that you approve of my attitude. It means a lot to me.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Whilst I have lots of sympathy on this, having done three ex-EUs this year, I think the OP got off lightly - it's the return which got messed up with fairly low costs to rectify. My nightmare is always the outbound getting messed up.
I had arranged better contingencies for the outbound departure.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks for the positive responses and guidance, mostly*.
SITREP:
1. Landed LHR T5 1849L unable to make EI177 @ T2. In response to the queries as to why I took this earlier non-BA CE option, contrary to an earlier post, I am not some grasping compo junkie demanding that BA rectify my errors, and view one of my responsibilities as a pax is to mitigate the airline's loss as much as possible, if I can. Getting out to DUB ASAP also gave me greater options and showed that I was willing to be flexible for the airline. Helpful for any compensation or insurance claim downstream.
2. BA T5 Flt Connections CS now booked all 4 of us on BA0826 for 2135-2259 hrs. TP and Avios earning legs back on for family.
The sharp-eyed among you will see that the scheduled arr time is 4:14 hrs late. Having already booked overnight HOTAC, an Avis rental and an FR Flt to Brizzle tomorrow, I won't be demanding anything of the airline as yet and will sort it in slow time once I get home.....unless those of you with this sort of experience suggest otherwise?
As I said earlier in the thread, every day is a school day; I've learnt a lot over the last 16 hrs (esp Corp Wage Slave's advice) and I am grateful for this forum's guidance, humour and experience, (a) for pointing me towards the ex-EU routes and (b) helping me sort my .... out.
And the wife just smiled at me....
Chin chin!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by nemonon
Ok thanks for the positive responses and guidance, mostly*.
SITREP:
1. Landed LHR T5 1849L unable to make EI177 @ T2. In response to the queries as to why I took this earlier non-BA CE option, contrary to an earlier post, I am not some grasping compo junkie demanding that BA rectify my errors, and view one of my responsibilities as a pax is to mitigate the airline's loss as much as possible, if I can. Getting out to DUB ASAP also gave me greater options and showed that I was willing to be flexible for the airline. Helpful for any compensation or insurance claim downstream.
2. BA T5 Flt Connections CS now booked all 4 of us on BA0826 for 2135-2259 hrs. TP and Avios earning legs back on for family.
The sharp-eyed among you will see that the scheduled arr time is 4:14 hrs late. Having already booked overnight HOTAC, an Avis rental and an FR Flt to Brizzle tomorrow, I won't be demanding anything of the airline as yet and will sort it in slow time once I get home.....unless those of you with this sort of experience suggest otherwise?
As I said earlier in the thread, every day is a school day; I've learnt a lot over the last 16 hrs (esp Corp Wage Slave's advice) and I am grateful for this forum's guidance, humour and experience, (a) for pointing me towards the ex-EU routes and (b) helping me sort my .... out.
Chin chin!
I presume she has plans for the €2400

I'd be quite happy with that result in some circumstances. Hope the flight itself was relaxing, now enjoy the lounge!

Inspired by this thread I just booked a back-up Norwegian flight on my return from OSL in December. £22.80 and I can get back net £13.10 if I cancel - cheap insurance.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Would that mollify Mrs Nemonon?
And is her name Fee?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I presume she has plans for the €2400

I'd be quite happy with that result in some circumstances. Hope the flight itself was relaxing, now enjoy the lounge!

Inspired by this thread I just booked a back-up Norwegian flight on my return from OSL in December. £22.80 and I can get back net £13.10 if I cancel - cheap insurance.
I think I'll try OSL next ex-EU. And you're right, I think she's already looking at our next holiday options. I'll let her plan it this time.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The throw of the dice here will be the reason for delay - if BA can claim ATC at LHR caused the incoming aircraft to be late, then only duty of care would apply, and the OP has not really incurred any costs under that. If the OP could manage to establish that before arriving at LHR, it would help the decision making process enormously.
LHR ATC was not responsible for the late departure from LAX; any additional holding required prior to landing is incidental, considering the overall delay required for compensation is several hours...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Won't the OP have already been rebooked on the 20.10 EI departure from T2, as that meets the 90 minute MCT?

Annoyingly it will put him in Y and arrive in Dublin at 21.25, some 2hrs 40 minutes later than scheduled.
Was at connections gate at 1912 hrs, so 58 min to make connection. CS rep told me guidance for T5-T2 was 90 min min.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think I'll try OSL next ex-EU. And you're right, I think she's already looking at our next holiday options. I'll let her plan it this time.
No, no, no, no, no!

Stavanger is the capital of Norway, everyone here knows that!

Chin chin!
All's well that ends well here on FT. Frankly very little else matters, but once you get yourself sorted, toddle off to the EC261 thread and just apply for it, it should be a straightforward case and you may see the money in a few weeks.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Was at connections gate at 1912 hrs, so 58 min to make connection. CS rep told me guidance for T5-T2 was 90 min min.
If you catch it right, it's doable. Depends obviously how many other people are trying to do the same thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.