Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LAX-LHR-DUB Delay Trashes Ex EU Itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LAX-LHR-DUB Delay Trashes Ex EU Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:37 am

It's also a timely reminder that ex-EUs - or indeed any complicated booking - become a much bigger gamble when travelling with others, particularly family.

When travelling alone one can deal with hassles and often suck it up. With others everything becomes more complicated. the financial risk is higher and if you're the one who booked, your reputation is at stake!

I do a mix of travelling alone and with friends and while the latter is miles more fun, it is also a lot more stressful when things need sorting out.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Once been delayed by BA 2h 58min. Caused lots of trouble.. Wrote kind email, not a penny or avios goodwill compensation..
Week later my bag arrived 24h late, 600€ refunded purchases within 5 days...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Still on ground@ LAX.
Ref jumping ship at LHR: read reams of advice on this during planning phase and figure that the risk of being billed for the CW tickets for 4 at an extra cost of c£10k ain't worth the risk, regardless of how many times I'm told by folks they do it all the time. I just don't have that sort of money to take a roll of the dice on.
Anyway, I get to sample the Dublin Crowne Plaza tonight. Winner!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by nemonon
Total cost to me for the 2:50 delay: hotel £150, extra Flt £200, missed hire car £45, lost TP and Avios got the missed CW to DUB.
It looks like it is only the OP who is returning to DUB anyway, perhaps the rest of the family is making its own way home from LHR? £200 looks about right for a last minute flight.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Still on ground@ LAX.
Ref jumping ship at LHR: read reams of advice on this during planning phase and figure that the risk of being billed for the CW tickets for 4 at an extra cost of c£10k ain't worth the risk, regardless of how many times I'm told by folks they do it all the time. I just don't have that sort of money to take a toll of the dice on.
What a shame- hope it all works out and doesn't spoil your holiday.

As to skipping an ex-EU last leg: this is most certainly legitimate in the event of a significant delay. BA will not reprice you for simply leaving the airport at LHR. In your case it has quite clearly negated your earlier plans by causing you to miss a booked flight. Also, if the time between the planned arrival in DUB and your flight to BHX was above MCT you may well be able to claim on your insurance.

Good luck anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:54 am

Still on ground@ LAX.
Ref jumping ship at LHR: read reams of advice on this during planning phase and figure that the risk of being billed for the CW tickets for 4 at an extra cost of c£10k ain't worth the risk, regardless of how many times I'm told by folks they do it all the time. I just don't have that sort of money to take a roll of the dice on.
As you are now delayed, you can claim 'trip in vain' - e.g. your trip no longer serves the purpose at which you originally booked because your inbound flight was delayed. The agents at the T5 Transfer Desk can be understanding with this in mind.

There would be no roll of the dice - nothing would change on your booking until you confirm that you accept any additional refare. If they mention a refare, then just continue your journey as (now) planned. Essentially, it will not hurt to ask when you land about offloading
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:54 am

Still on ground@ LAX.
Presumably there comes a point where an increase in the delay is beneficial as the threshold for EC261 will be met?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I'd echo views above for anybody caught in same situation
- if BA offered alternative flight puts you in EC261 territory view it as covering any incremental costs
- book flights so you can have a plausible reason for bailing on the last leg if there's a meaningful delay
- try not to leave yourself aiming for last flight of the day unless back to back and HBO

I've cut a few hours in LA out of my schedule for my US trip in November by taking afternoon LAX-LHR, allows me to get into OSL at c. 4pm and have 8pm flight back on SAS (flexible fare) and there's a later 10.15pm Norwegian flight. There's possibly a narrow window where BA gets me into OSL just under 4 hours late where I get no compensation and get gouged on Norwegian flight, but hopefully I've minimised risk - I might even shell out £19 for that flight now as a form of insurance...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks Crazy.
BA crew now removing drunks from flight; they've obviously spent all the enforced delay in the bar. Terminal change at LHR now looking challenging unless we get some decent tailwinds or the skipper pours the coals on.
No, not just me on FR flt Thu morning. I got us all on at 35 Eur a pop which I consider a result considering the short notice. Hence my previously stated sanguinity (?).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Hopefully your delay will now be more than 4 hours so you can claim €600 each!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Do you have travel insurance (possibly free from a credit card or bank account)? If so can you claim off that?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would seriously reconsider the DUB part of your trip.

Bail out at LHR and take the train from Paddington.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Hopefully your delay will now be more than 4 hours so you can claim €600 each!
Would that mollify Mrs Nemonon?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68

It is looking like this is the way forward. If the rebooked flight arrives +4h late can the OP claim his EU compensation even if they weren't on it? If so, then a great result all round.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68

I cannot agree more. The 'Dublin shuffle' now makes no sense whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.