Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ChrL;27114820video [B
calls[/B], .
Please please please say it ain't so!

Last edited by babats; Aug 25, 2016 at 1:40 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:34 am

I believe wifi will be fitted to three 747's in January 2017. Not sure of the rollout after that.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flatlander
Was the $16 day pass for 24hrs on one airline not offered?

https://www.gogoair.com/list-all-products (below the subcriptions).
There's also a cheaper smartphone/ only rate which is cheaper still ($8 per flight). Note that the trans Atlantic services use T Mobile or Panasonic, not gogo, US$19 per flight.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you need to book this before the flight to get that price.
Yes. But I've felt often worth the few minutes while waiting in the gate area in order to save >50%.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by hcuk94
Just been on an AA transcon which charged $40 for gogo wifi for the duration of the flight.
If BA price similarly it'll be pointless to me!
Gogo gouges you if you wait to buy onboard. The idea is to suppress demand in routes where it's more popular, to help reliability. I have an AA monthly pass for $50 that I consider to be worth the cost.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:51 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TCX69
The first Langhaul aircraft to have WiFi fitted will be a 747. It is due to ferry to CWL on 15th November 2016 and will initially take around 21 days. It will then have a certification period of about the same time and so will start flying with WiFi in January 2017.
These super high-J aircraft must like their Welsh holidays, to be spending so much time there!

Presumably the later candidates ought to be done in a shorter stay?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:34 pm

Interesting news from AY.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...i-fi-in-a320s/

Not only will all their (long-haul) A330s be fitted with KuBand Wifi by May next year, but they're planning to fit all their (short-haul) A320s with ViaSat Wifi (12Mbps) by the year after too.

Currently, access on their A350s is completely free to passengers in Business, and all OWS and OWE cardholders. The plan for the A330s and A320s is the same.

Can't imagine BA being this generous - fully expect them to charge all passengers a la AA.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hopefully BA will do better than Iberia. In business class you get given a voucher for 4MB worth of free data. If you want more, the best value (!) deal is $34.95 for 45MB. Insane.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by musehead
Hopefully BA will do better than Iberia. In business class you get given a voucher for 4MB worth of free data. If you want more, the best value (!) deal is $34.95 for 45MB. Insane.
I'm not counting on it...

The way things are going, I am expecting no free allowance at all. They will want to aim for profit from the word go, not treat this as a feature/value-added item (as other airlines seem to be doing...)

Further to my post above, I've also noticed that AYs prices for statusless Y passengers (i.e. the only people on the plane who don't get it for free) are also reasonable. 5EUR for an hour, or 15EUR for the whole flight. Both options have no data cap. Not cheap, but certainly reasonable.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Virazuno
I'm not counting on it...

The way things are going, I am expecting no free allowance at all. They will want to aim for profit from the word go, not treat this as a feature/value-added item (as other airlines seem to be doing...)

Further to my post above, I've also noticed that AYs prices for statusless Y passengers (i.e. the only people on the plane who don't get it for free) are also reasonable. 5EUR for an hour, or 15EUR for the whole flight. Both options have no data cap. Not cheap, but certainly reasonable.
They will say the enchanced version is the lounge wifi and it's already given to status passengers
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hcuk94
Just been on an AA transcon which charged $40 for gogo wifi for the duration of the flight.
If BA price similarly it'll be pointless to me!
I bill at $730 an hour and work with people who bill upwards of $1200 an hour. $40 is nothing to the firm if it allows us to bill more time, be more responsive, etc.

Any frequent US traveler though is likely to have a monthly pass which I think is $50 for AA only and $60 for all GoGo carriers.

GoGo can be hit or miss (though far better than the Acela wifi). TATL wifi on AA has always been great.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Just another example of the BA J product being out of date and inferior to the AA offering. I believe AA are even starting live tv now on some planes, whilst BA still seem to be 18 months away from even having wifi
VS have WiFi and live TV on their 787's now. WiFi is £14.99 for 150 MB.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:48 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I am just dreading this when its rolled out. I came back on EK from MRU last week, and despite the pleas for phones to be set to vibrate / silent, 1 guy in particular over the aisle from me just let his ring for ages, often, before he would answer it.
Eventually I had enough and went over and very politely but firmly insisted he turn it off. Cue surprised look and innocence etc.
I value my down time and see this as nothing more than a buggeration factor that will be forced upon us.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beano HK
I am just dreading this when its rolled out. I came back on EK from MRU last week, and despite the pleas for phones to be set to vibrate / silent, 1 guy in particular over the aisle from me just let his ring for ages, often, before he would answer it.
Eventually I had enough and went over and very politely but firmly insisted he turn it off. Cue surprised look and innocence etc.
I value my down time and see this as nothing more than a buggeration factor that will be forced upon us.
I have personally found that fellow travellers' silent-etiquette on aircraft with WiFi equipped has actually been really rather good. To the point where I haven't noticed any 'extra' noise in the cabin. No constant pinging of WhatsApp etc. And no voice calls (probably because VOIP is blocked...but even then, people still aren't excitedly/annoyingly sending voice clips and the like).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.