Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic now my choice of carrier for premium economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic now my choice of carrier for premium economy

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
For a single trip, the cost attraction is clear in this case.

For getting status in the FFP or using them as one's main airline, one has to be flying mainly to the top-20 metropolitan and premium leisure long-haul destinations from the UK because that's all the route network Virgin have.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I confess VS premium is better in most instances.

BA has me for the TP earnings though. It's worth it for me.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have also found BA's PE expensive. Last time I looked Ex Canada, I can get a seat on BA for ~$2500 and Air Canada is ~$1500. Both non stop flights to LHR.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
BA is now treating its World Travel Plus customers on East coast flights with contempt so I've now booked all my JFK and BOS trips with VS, Premium economy. I have been loyal to BA but the service is rapidly becoming Bl**** Awful so certain routes will no longer get my business.
Is there a service difference between East coast flights and longer routes WT+

(Flew QF PE and was blown away by the service. Felt biz class without flat bed)
Old May 30, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
BA is now treating its World Travel Plus customers on East coast flights with contempt so I've now booked all my JFK and BOS trips with VS, Premium economy. I have been loyal to BA but the service is rapidly becoming Bl**** Awful so certain routes will no longer get my business.

Were you a big advocate on this forum? I must have missed that.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The VS A330 is better than the BA A380 to Boston?
Old May 31, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

BA is slowly catching up but its World Traveller Plus is definitely more economy than anything remotely Premium. Other airlines, including VS and Air New Zealand, have invested more into making it a premium experience. The clue, I guess, is in the branding. BA don’t advertise a premium economy cabin but simply call it economy “plus”.

My BA loyalty is high but based on recent VS experiences to the US, their product is superior, particularly the second meal service which was similar to a high quality Club Europe tray. The VS premium economy 787 “wander wall” (snacks and some) gives that sense of added value, too. Maybe I should apply to work in VS marketing team.

Old May 31, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The clue, I guess, is in the branding. BA don’t advertise a premium economy cabin but simply call it economy “plus”.
Sometimes, some people really do try to scrape the barrel when looking for things with which to beat BA around the head.
Travel classes

Premium economy

Enjoy an enhanced in-flight experience with World Traveller Plus, our premium economy, offering more privacy, space and comfort in a smaller, secluded cabin.

World Traveller Plus - selected international flights
World Traveller Plus

World Traveller Plus is our premium economy service, a more comfortable, relaxing experience on longer routes and proof that a premium service doesn't have to break the bank:
  • wider seats and more legroom
  • small, intimate cabins with expert, attentive service
  • delicious meals and full bar service
  • personal entertainment system with noise-reducing headphones
  • larger free baggage allowance
  • board ahead of economy passengers with priority boarding
Old May 31, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I noticed some of these details on recent bookings and trips
  • wider seats and more legroom - Indeed
  • small, intimate cabins with expert, attentive service - not sure about the 'expert, attentive service' - very much WT service and attention
  • delicious meals and full bar service - on East Coast service, really only one meal and then a main or pasta option (the last meal was rather a spread-out WT-ish meal)
  • personal entertainment system with noise-reducing headphones - the 'personal' entertainment system is surely the same as WT...
  • larger free baggage allowance - Indeed
  • board ahead of economy passengers with priority boarding - presumably a higher group (which is generally irrelevant if G/S).
Old May 31, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
I travel TATL in W a lot, and am doing so again on Sunday. How are BA treating W passengers with contempt? Serious question in case something has changed and is about to ruin my Sunday!

Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA, BA, B9
I've apparently had the opposite experience, because every time I've flown WT+ (BOS-LHR) I've had very good experiences. You get placed in a higher boarding group, the food is so much better than WT, you have a more comfortable seat, more dedicated service, and a more private cabin. I have never flown VS PE, but is it wildly better than this? Price is generally the deciding factor for me, but as it stands if both VS and BA have similar prices for premium economy then I don't have any reason to stop using BA. VS's service in the past I've found to be less than professional and somewhat variable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.