Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Euro Traveller food changes - crisps only [Bands 2 and 3]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
** Mod note:

This information is valid until January 2017, at which point BA will be introducing Buy on Board for flights from LGW & LHR, with LCY & STN moving to a BOB model from Summer 2017.

Please see here for the discussion on the BOB options.

Examples of what to expect. The descriptions are based on services to/from London Heathrow (LGW/LCY follow the same principle but there may be minor variations to the actual offerings listed below)

Breakfast
Euro Traveller Bands 1, 2, and 3
A filled croissant and orange juice. A vegetarian alternative is also available on request. Service follows with the choice of tea or coffee

Euro Traveller Band 4
Breakfast deli box containing an egg and bacon sandwich, yoghurt pot, and a Lily O’Brien’s chocolate. Special meals are available but must be pre-ordered

Snack basket
Euro Traveller Bands 1, 2, and 3
Your choice of Island Bakery cookies, Corker’s crisps and Thai Street Food savoury snack will be served with your choice of beverage

Lunch
Euro Traveller Bands 2, and 3
A sandwich will be served with your choice of beverage. Vegetarian option available on request

Rest of the day meal
Euro Traveller Band 4
Drink from the bar followed by Deli box containing a sandwich, dessert pot, cheese and crackers, and a Lily O’Brien’s chocolate. Special meals are available but must be pre-ordered
Print Wikipost

Euro Traveller food changes - crisps only [Bands 2 and 3]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by bafan
The breakfast isn't 'free' - the cost is included in the ticket price.

But, f they remove the breakfast, the fares won't go down...
I think that's the problem. Fares are already very low, often less than they were fifteen/twenty years ago. Something has to give and despite what is said on here, most people don't choose on the basis of onboard service. You only need to look at the success of Easyjet, particularly at Gatwick where BA's own effort at establishing a European network failed. The belief that people will pay more for improved onboard catering is not borne out by the development of the industry in recent years.

In terms of profit making, BA does well compared to its peers. But in terms of a business. its profits are far from impressive when considered against other industries which offer much higher returns on capital.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dan72
I think that's the problem. Fares are already very low, often less than they were fifteen/twenty years ago. Something has to give and despite what is said on here, most people don't choose on the basis of onboard service.
This argument is often made here, but at the risk of missing something obvious, would anyone explain to me what is the logic of always comparing fares today to what they were 20-30 years ago (the usual point of comparison) rather than to what they were 5-10 years ago? In fact even to 1 year ago when BA were still serving snacks on band 3 etc? Arguably, the aviation and competitive scene was entirely different 20-30 years ago so it becomes hard to compare the effects of the hundreds of things that changed in the meantime. But within the past 1 or 5 years? Sure, fast changing industry and blablabla, but ultimately not so much has changed in the competitive picture in that more recent time frame, yet service downgrades have been significant.

I can't speak for everyone but in the case of my main BA European route, fares are actually more expensive now than they were 1, 5, and 10 years ago (about +£25/return for cheapest Y return, and about +£50 on cheapest luggage inclusive return). Yet service has gone down significantly compared to a year ago and even more compared to 10. I would add that oil is cheaper now than it was in recent years too.

Originally Posted by Dan72
In terms of profit making, BA does well compared to its peers.
Well, exactly, but precisely that precedes enhancements, which to many here comes down to questioning whether the petty league are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by orbitmic
This argument is often made here, but at the risk of missing something obvious, would anyone explain to me what is the logic of always comparing fares today to what they were 20-30 years ago (the usual point of comparison) rather than to what they were 5-10 years ago? In fact even to 1 year ago when BA were still serving snacks on band 3 etc?
I suspect we see what we want to see, but I don't see that fares have risen by any margin in recent years. I do, however, see an aviation market that only gets more competitive. It's not just easyjet and Ryanair now, but Norwegian and less so Wizzair, Transavia, etc. Perhaps the legacies are lying but they all say they lose or struggle to make a profit on shorthaul. Where airlines have reintroduced catering, I think it has failed to prompt the increasing margins they had hoped it might deliver, which is perhaps why BA feel they can now afford to cut it.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I really think they need to stop advertising food as a differentiator on these flights. A packet of crisps/biscuit on a Band 3 is pathetic. If they're not going to offer anything substantial for free, then for goodness sake offer BoB.

Remember that a good number of pax on these flights will be connecting to/from longhaul, most with no lounge access. With the enhancements to both ET and WT, there will be an awful lot of rumbling tummies on BA from now on.
You do realise that the definition of "enhancement" is

to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify:
The candelight enhanced her beauty.
to raise the value or price of:
Rarity enhances the worth of old coins.

right? What BA is doing is not enhancing products and services. What they are doing is systematically turning the airline into an overpriced LCC with lounge access.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
You do realise that the definition of "enhancement" is

to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify:
The candelight enhanced her beauty.
to raise the value or price of:
Rarity enhances the worth of old coins.

right? What BA is doing is not enhancing products and services. What they are doing is systematically turning the airline into an overpriced LCC with lounge access.
You do realise that 'enhancement' has its own meaning on the BA forum, right?

Par exemple...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ancements.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ts-august.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ancements.html
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
You do realise that 'enhancement' has its own meaning on the BA forum, right?
Indeed it does, and that was one of the first things I learnt here!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
I do now

I did wonder, as I saw another poster also use it, but the lack of quotation marks threw me off the sarcasm trail.

It's a sordid state of affairs when sarcasm must be used so frequently that it no longer requires quotation marks, but I then again, depreciation of service quality is certainly not unique to BA. To be honest, I hadn't noticed much until this recent reduction of catering service, but then I only fly BA shorthaul these days, and mostly in ET.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
The reason for introducing this is abundantly clear. They are reducing the offering so that "due to customer feedback for a more substantial offering, we will be introducing a paid for service in our Euro Traveller cabin" or something along those lines.
Hardly surprising exactly this played out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.