Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a new announcement onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's not new but this one is.
If you are seated in our First or Club World cabins please take care that your personal electronic device does not get lost beneath your seat. If it does, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
Heard that one and was wondering the rationale. Presumably the airline doesn't give a rat's arse if my iPhone is squashed by the seat mechanics so they must either be worried about their seat getting bust, or the phone exploding/burning?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: BA silver.
Yesterday after landing at EDI (Cityflyer from LCY), there was an announcement that you weren't allowed to use mobile phones when walking between the plane and the terminal building. Is this also a new addition?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by dorothyr
Yesterday after landing at EDI (Cityflyer from LCY), there was an announcement that you weren't allowed to use mobile phones when walking between the plane and the terminal building. Is this also a new addition?
Were they refuelling?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Heard that one and was wondering the rationale. Presumably the airline doesn't give a rat's arse if my iPhone is squashed by the seat mechanics so they must either be worried about their seat getting bust, or the phone exploding/burning?
Qatar make the same announcement. Before they started doing so I once lost my iPad - I thought someone had stolen it while I was asleep. The CC asked me what I was looking for and said something along the lines of "its a good job you haven't tried moving your seat to find it yet as that can lead to it getting pushed into an inaccessible place", and then proceeded to retrieve it from my seat. (Obviously the CW seat is not the same as the QR J seat, but I imagine it could be a similar reason).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:00 am

Were they refuelling?
I don't know, but it's entirely possible!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by dorothyr
They've long said that in the opposite direction (landing at LCY), I presumed it was because the walkway crosses a road so it's sensible to remove distractions. Did your walking route cross any airside roads?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
That's definitely the reason, though on Qantas they do mention both that it may damage your device, and a compromised battery may be a firehazard.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:46 am

Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Welcome to FT onetheground, what is your point?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
They've long said that in the opposite direction (landing at LCY), I presumed it was because the walkway crosses a road so it's sensible to remove distractions. Did your walking route cross any airside roads?
It was dark and I wasn't paying much attention tbh, but I don't think so - we were extremely close to the terminal. I think we came in through gate 6, if that helps.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
The reason airlines are concerned about devices with Li batteries getting lost and crushed in between seats is that damage incurred in this way often leads to internal short circuits which lead to thermal runaway, causing fire or even an explosion.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
that what I thought MNManInKen.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1M, OW, Avis, every known hotel
Um.... No

Originally Posted by 355F1

I fly a lot and have never heard any airline say this...
Obviously you do NOT fly a lot, or do not fly enough w/o headphones on.
It is VERY common and VERY common sense for an airline to say this.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
I understand what you're saying. I think they want to be able to stop the passenger flow too to let a vehicle by, if needs be.

Speaking about walking from planes to terminals in general, in rant mode, I sometimes think, I've got myself to the airport using cars/buses/whatever, flown in a metal tube through the sky, but, now, I need assistance to cross a road, something I've been doing for a long time
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JRjustJR
Obviously you do NOT fly a lot, or do not fly enough w/o headphones on.
It is VERY common and VERY common sense for an airline to say this.
I have flown over 140,000 BIS miles this year between DL & BA.....and it's only August.

Even for FT I'd still say that qualifies me as flying "A LOT."

I don't put my headphones on until after take-off, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.