Is this a new announcement onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Is this a new announcement onboard?

Just about to depart LAX on the A380.

Along with the regular announcements the cabin attendant said, "....and all devices and phones need to be unplugged from the power source when not in use."

I fly a lot and have never heard any airline say this...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the plugs on the seat back in front of you?
I've been told to disconnect if I was charging but had the phone in my hand with the cord across the seat access.
Never heard such an announcement though.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
That's a standard announcement on VS and has been for at least a year.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Always heard that, nothing new I don't think.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
This was answered in the Ask the Staffer thread
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The risk of a lithium battery fire is a real and significant one onboard. The power supplies onboard are not as reliable in terms of voltage and frequency as the plug in your house, this increases the risk of an onboard battery fire. Consequently if a device is just being charged it must be monitored. That is why we insist that a charging device is visible and monitored by the person whose device it is. You cannot be asleep or out of sight of your device. In order to prevent endless circular arguments with passengers about this issue we say that unless you are using a device it must not be being charged and not in use.
As Waterhorse says this is a real risk. See the LAX Fire
for a real world example. Lithium battery fires are dangerous because they can generate their own oxygen, and pouring water on

is a very bad idea as the reaction produces hydrogen which is bad m'kay, especially when you already have a flame present.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 355F1
Just about to depart LAX on the A380.

Along with the regular announcements the cabin attendant said, "....and all devices and phones need to be unplugged from the power source when not in use."

I fly a lot and have never heard any airline say this...
That announcement has been part of the regular BA announcements for some time. For example, see the last few posts here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cw-seat-3.html

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-cw-seat.html
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've heard this on several airlines.

Enforcement is variable though.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Haven't heard it on BA but have heard it on QF and EK. QF they came and checked.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
and pouring water on
is a very bad idea as the reaction produces hydrogen which is bad m'kay, especially when you already have a flame present.
Bit odd then that both the FAA and CAA recommend soaking the device with water and liquids to reduce heat and thermal runaway.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's not new but this one is.
If you are seated in our First or Club World cabins please take care that your personal electronic device does not get lost beneath your seat. If it does, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's not new but this one is.
If you are seated in our First or Club World cabins please take care that your personal electronic device does not get lost beneath your seat. If it does, please do not move the seat and let one of us know.
Yes, I noticed that one creep in this last couple of weeks. Out of 6 flights I heard it twice. It's usually missed by CSM/Ds who go off-piste with their welcome greetings.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well it shouldn't because it a mandatory annoucement which came in on the 4th August.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Bit odd then that both the FAA and CAA recommend soaking the device with water and liquids to reduce heat and thermal runaway.
Lithium ion batteries generally contain very little lithium, and water is fine to use. What's dangerous are the lithium metal batteries, but you wont find those in your mobile phone.

I have first hand experience of frying a phone on an aircraft by leaving it charging too long. Definitely not a mistake I will make again.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well it shouldn't because it a mandatory annoucement which came in on the 4th August.
I can let them off for 3 of those then! I did get the announcement on the BA11 on 30 July and on the BA15 a few days later. It was missed on both the BA16 and BA12 on the way back though.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:08 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Wow. All good info.

I have always charged my phone while I sleep for the duration of the entire flight (all long-haul).

Scary stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.