Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Q2 Results

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you consider a 6% fall in unit revenue to be a good result then I have a bridge to sell you.

Without the fuel hedges finally unwinding it would be a mess. They can't even keep non-fuel costs under control.
Indeed.

More worrying is things like punctuality target missed with more than 25% of flights late and satisfaction target missed by some distance.

When the economic environment is tough these are the things that you can still be delivering on.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Steady as she goes.....^
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Steady as she goes.....^
As the captain of the Titanic said...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
A drop in full year profit forecast of EUR 500-700m in the space of 3 months is pretty significant, though IAG will still make a substantial profit. They knew it was coming, hence the rush in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit vote to say profits would drop, without saying by how much. Some of it is FX of course, but still not pretty and quite a few metrics going in the wrong direction. Looks like the market thinks it has already priced in that drop.

Bits of it are funny (I used to do this stuff for a living).

"74% of forecast Q3 revenue is already booked" - well, erm, great but last time I looked it was 29th July! That means a third of Q3 has already gone.

This means that only (74% - 33%) 41% of expected August and September revenue has already been booked, which given that August is mainly holiday traffic and you would expect that to be booked long ago doesn't say much.
Indeed, the 74% figure in isolation tells very little, it would have some meaning with a comparison to what it looked like for Q3 2015 at the same time last year.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:41 am

Bits of it are funny (I used to do this stuff for a living).

"74% of forecast Q3 revenue is already booked" - well, erm, great but last time I looked it was 29th July! That means a third of Q3 has already gone.

This means that only (74% - 33%) 41% of expected August and September revenue has already been booked, which given that August is mainly holiday traffic and you would expect that to be booked long ago doesn't say much.
So in simple terms expected revenue in Q4 is £15m (3 x £5m a month). BA say 74% is already booked, so £11.1m booked out of £15m expected.

July passes so the expected £5m is banked. That means £6.1m is left as 'booked' from the remaining 2 months expected revenue of £10m.

£6.1m out of £10m = 61%, not 41%.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
We can pick the bones all day long on this, but key to me is revenues down across the board.

You can only address the bottom line for so long before the only thing left is the top line. I see this as potentially positive. As the global economy is having a few hiccups BA will need to up the ante to grow the top line, or maintain it. So could be time for a few improvements.

Parallels new job, they cleaned up bottom line, made savings for a few years, now know maybe 2 years of cleaning up left or they will cut staff and shrink, so I get to grow the top line and make the service investments
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
We can pick the bones all day long on this, but key to me is revenues down across the board.

You can only address the bottom line for so long before the only thing left is the top line. I see this as potentially positive. As the global economy is having a few hiccups BA will need to up the ante to grow the top line, or maintain it. So could be time for a few improvements.
Absolutely, cutting your way to success can only ever be short term (though "short term" can be very different timespans in different industries). The challenge for BA/IAG is that capacity is a limiting factor (for BA particularly). The top line levers they have are price, capacity and load factors. BA is going backwards on capacity growth, and their market doesn't seem to show many signs of being able to increase load factors while maintaining/increasing price.

IAG's RASK is suffering most in long haul (both front and back of the bus), and one will assume BA is the major driver of that. I suspect focus on cost over top line will be the case for some time to come, whether they leave it too late to invest remains to be seen. As always with BA, much will depend on the TATL business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.