Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not all bad...perhaps a real enhancement for Club World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not all bad...perhaps a real enhancement for Club World?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
^ Pillow ... and about time too. I enjoyed a good night's TATL sleep on AA on Friday night, thanks in part to a decent sized pillow. Not bothered about the topper one way or the other.

Hand Served ... only experienced that on A380, LHR/LAX. Appallingly slow and inefficient.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by T8191
^ Pillow ... and about time too. I enjoyed a good night's TATL sleep on AA on Friday night, thanks in part to a decent sized pillow. Not bothered about the topper one way or the other.
indeed, although for what it's worth, while large, I do not find the F pillows particularly comfortable. I personally much prefer down ones, but let's not reopen a debate we already all had recently!!!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
It will be interesting to see how BA handles this and how the mattress topper work on BA's seats.

I flew with Qantas a few months ago and they use a mattress topper. It's on your seat wrapped in plastic when you arrive. The crew I had didn't like you leaving it in the foot well for takeoff and landing, so the best place was the overhead bins (or holding it as I did the first time - very tired!)

Some who wanted to maximise sleep (and avoid the, IMHO, declining food standards in QF J) were assisted by passing crew in a fitting their toppers. It's like a fitted sheet with elasticated ends. When I wanted to put it on, it was after the meal service and the crew were busy clearing up. so I just did it myself. Easy enough on the aisle seat. Not so sure on a window or centre seat.

Comfort wise I think it was only marginal. It took away a bit of the hardness of the seat and made it a tad more comfortable. I did raise the bed a few times on a 14 hour sector and it stayed in place but I'm not convinced it made that much of difference to my sleep, but I can sleep upright in Y these days - and even on the tube (probably due to the lack of fresh air down there!!)

Moral of the tale here, don't get too excited until you see the full offering BA is going to make. It would be great if they offered experienced travellers and novices the opportunity to review a sample of toppers before they introduce a final choice.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I am used to hand service from a few companies (and actually had it on a JFK-LHR flight last week - probably due to the low number of people eating). It can be really great (Think JL), or really painful and slow. All depends on crew skills...

In a day flight I don't mind it being 'slow' in the sense I don't need my food ASAP. However I don't want to have a starter that I finish and then get the main 20 mins later. But I don't care if row 11 are on their dessert when I get my main in row 20.

On a short night flight (think east coast US) it really just needs to be very fast. How crew do it - by hand or tray from trolley I don't care!

Beddings sound very positive!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
More compliant, less like to complain and feedback when things don't work, CSMs and those aspiring that will do anything for BA.
Saying that there are some really good CSMs that will do their best to give the company honest feedback but I fear not enough of them.
Not sure I agree with that assertion. I don't think any SCCM on any fleet would feedback that something wasn't working if it was.

Also, the company seems to be measuring the success of this trial based on the effect it has on the customer voice scores.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
The AA pillows are really comfy - if BA could just source those for CW (and First) it would be a huge improvement. A thick topper to help alleviate some of the lumps and bumps would be good, but the current First one isn't much more than a sheet and is pretty pointless in my view
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
The AA pillows are really comfy - if BA could just source those for CW (and First) it would be a huge improvement. A thick topper to help alleviate some of the lumps and bumps would be good, but the current First one isn't much more than a sheet and is pretty pointless in my view
Could not agree more with this.

The AA pillows are great.

I have never understood the love on here for the F mattress topper. It sounds fabulous but I can't tell the different at all when it's in place. A proper topper (such as the trimmed yoga mat mentioned above) would be great. I even bought one to trim but I've never managed to figure out the CW seat dimensions so I could trim it accordingly.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Virgin deliver all their Upper Class meal services by hand and it works very well, so I don't see why BA could manage it in Club.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Down Low
Not sure I agree with that assertion. I don't think any SCCM on any fleet would feedback that something wasn't working if it was.

Also, the company seems to be measuring the success of this trial based on the effect it has on the customer voice scores.
I am not sure how customer feedback has anything to do with how workable this will be.
If the WW fleet were involved in the trial it wouldn't be just the SCCMs feeding back but all ranks and they would hold back.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
WW would probably want an extra crew member on board to hand them out
Spoken like a true non-cabin crew.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:21 am

The mattress topper in BA F is not great and is very poor quality. The duvet is not particularly great either. Hopefully, they will move the cheap quality F toppers and duvets into CW and provide F with something much better. By way of comparison, QF F provide a much better mattress topper and duvet.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Spoken like a true non-cabin crew.
And the board just ate itself...

Wasn't there a kerfuffle about pre-flight drinks in WT+ when that was first mooted?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We are happy to provide any service that BA wishes to offer our customers but we need enough crew onboard to do it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:34 am

Dont understand this. The extra bedding is one of the (few) differentiating features with F. If people want more comfortable bedding, they can do this already, fly F.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We are happy to provide any service that BA wishes to offer our customers but we need enough crew onboard to do it.
Exactly - they'd be the first on here carrying alarmingly if they have to wait for their meals/drinks/pillows/anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.