Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not all bad...perhaps a real enhancement for Club World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not all bad...perhaps a real enhancement for Club World?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:04 pm

I'm excited for the prospect of a mattress topper and proper duvet & pillow. I've been bringing my own pillow on flights lately, as the BA CW one is so bad.

I'm not sure I need the hand service for cocktails, as I think that might just slow everything down (and the service can already take quite a long time).

Mid-flight club kitchen basket pass is good also - on my recent AA flight, they came around surprisingly frequently asking if we wanted anything from their version of the club kitchen.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:28 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a breakfast card?

Losing ice cream and starter choice and gaining a mattress pillow is, just about, a bad deal for me (Exclusively a leisure traveller who is picky about food), but I can see that it is clearly a good deal for frequent business flyers. And it is those passengers that BA wishes to please so I guess that overall, it's a good move by BA. And I will certainly appreciate the improved sleep.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a breakfast card?
I've had them on the JFK service (but not other east coast services).

It's a card that says "I want to sleep" or "Here's what I want for breakfast".

I hedged my bets with "here's what I want if I'm awake" - and they were fine with it and didn't disturb me.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm excited for the prospect of a mattress topper and proper duvet & pillow. I've been bringing my own pillow on flights lately, as the BA CW one is so bad. .
Me too. Also mulling over bringing small Thermarest as topper. This may sort the problem but it is only a trial.

I can already hear the 'following feedback from customers who demanded seating appropriate to the time of day in [insert time zone]we have removed the option of mattress toppers..."
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
This is great news. I travel with me in my hand baggage (my only baggage!) a small feather pillow for CW. Hopefully this is fully implemented quickly so can get rid of it. Current club pillow is terrible but feel the first pillow is pretty decent.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:25 am

Oh no - not hand-service for drinks and meal. Might look fancy, but inefficient and noisy. That just takes forever and you will have crew running up and down the isle a lot. Have experienced that on EK and QR and it is just so disturbing, esp. on the A380 where the J-cabin is huge. On night flight is is a nightmare.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I thought service was already hand run on the A380 / 787 due to the trolleys not fitting down the aisles or something?

Some crew do already do a walk around with snacks from the Club kitchen.

These are positive steps, although let's see what we end up with. As CIHY says, I can't believe they're going to order tens of thousands of quality F bedding for CW.

The trial should be on all fleets including EF because all will need to live with it when implemented and need the chance to feed back what works and what doesn't before it is launched. In particular, logistically this will be much easier on the upper deck of the 747 than say the 77W or mid haul 321, I would think. There needs to be enough stowage and I think it should be trialled on all aircraft types.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I've had them on the JFK service (but not other east coast services).

It's a card that says "I want to sleep" or "Here's what I want for breakfast".

I hedged my bets with "here's what I want if I'm awake" - and they were fine with it and didn't disturb me.
Yes, basically, they are just the equivalent of hotel room service breakfast cards and I never understood why airlines do not use them more. KL has been using them for years, you basically choose no breakfast, a set minimal option like coffee, juice, and croissant very near arrival, or a choice of a la carte options for a full breakfast served a while before, which effectively do not extend the options range (e.g. plain or fruit yoghurt, fruit salad or smoked salmon starter, cold cuts place or omelette, etc) but allow the crew to prepare your tailored tray.

Mattress topper and duvet definitely sound like a very good move, but let's see if it is kept.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Fantastic, something that comes as standard on a huge number of alternative Buisness class providers
My thoughts exactly. As a relatively newbie to BA (I moved back to the UK 2 years ago so started flying BA then), I must admit I assumed the reason I hadn't been offered a mattress topper in CW was because crews were either too busy or they were on-demand only. It never occurred to me that BA's CW service was so sub-standard that they aren't actually available for CW passengers.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The bedding a definite improvement if it stays, even if the quality ends up somewhere below F. Slightly odd only to do it on UD, I'd have thought a proper trial would be in the whole CW cabin on the concerned flights, for consistency of product to all CW customers on the flight and to see how it works storage-wise on the main deck.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
The bedding a definite improvement if it stays, even if the quality ends up somewhere below F. Slightly odd only to do it on UD, I'd have thought a proper trial would be in the whole CW cabin on the concerned flights, for consistency of product to all CW customers on the flight and to see how it works storage-wise on the main deck.
I'm looking forward to seeing this in action in a 84J business class configuration. Should be entertaining.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by bafan
...Also, I don't see the benefit of hand serving meals and drinks - this just slows the service down...
Yes I'm confused by this too. Give me a trolley any day if it gets me my drink/refill faster
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm looking forward to seeing this in action in a 84J business class configuration. Should be entertaining.
By your own admission the amount you fly BA this could be a long wait, no?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by bibbju
My thoughts exactly. As a relatively newbie to BA (I moved back to the UK 2 years ago so started flying BA then), I must admit I assumed the reason I hadn't been offered a mattress topper in CW was because crews were either too busy or they were on-demand only. It never occurred to me that BA's CW service was so sub-standard that they aren't actually available for CW passengers.
Yet the seat was comfy enough that you never felt he need to ask for one?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, sounds like a good idea, it will certainly improve the comfort and sleep quality of CW. Has the pillow already been cascaded? I'm sure I got a First pillow in CW from LGW last week. (Was a three class 777 so it could just have been a loading error).
We had F pillows in CW earlier this week on the BA31/32. What a difference this makes. Also, bar rounds and meal service were delivered by hand (97J A380)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.