Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

cancelling award ticket within 24h of booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Just wondering: Is it possible to cancel an award booking within 24h of booking it?

If so, does it make any difference how close to departure I am?

(E.g. could I make an award booking for tomorrow and cancel the booking 4h before departure?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
First part - yes, it is possible.

Second part - no, can't remember the cutoff, it might be booking at least 7 days before departure?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just wondering: Is it possible to cancel an award booking within 24h of booking it?

If so, does it make any difference how close to departure I am?

(E.g. could I make an award booking for tomorrow and cancel the booking 4h before departure?)

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by BA6501
First part - yes, it is possible.

Second part - no, can't remember the cutoff, it might be booking at least 7 days before departure?

I believe the cut-off is 24 hours from departure. If you book (or cancel) within 24 hours of departure - you won't get your Avios back, unless you cancelled due to one of the (limited) covered reasons.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I believe the cut-off is 24 hours from departure. If you book (or cancel) within 24 hours of departure - you won't get your Avios back, unless you cancelled due to one of the (limited) covered reasons.
Thanks. So I wouldn't even get my miles back if I paid a cancel/redeposit fee?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:08 pm

Thanks. So I wouldn't even get my miles back if I paid a cancel/redeposit fee?
Correct, if your award is within 24 hours from departure - you will not get your Avios back.

From the BAEC T&C:

..."17. Cancellation of Rewards
17.1. A fee as specified online at ba.com will be charged if flight bookings for Reward travel are cancelled by the Member prior to departure. Provided a cancellation is made more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary the Avios points charged for the Reward will be re-credited to the Member's account. Avios will not be refunded for partially flown bookings.

17.2. If flight bookings for Reward travel on British Airways or on flights operated by an Airline Partner are cancelled by the Member within 24 hours of departure, Avios points in respect of the Reward will not be re-credited to the member. In the event you are prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control we will refund your Avios points provided you have an unused Reward, have informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so and paid the applicable fee specified on ba.com.

17.3. Failure to utilise an Reward flight i.e. "no show", will result in the airline's cancellation of any onward or return reservations and Avios points cannot be re-credited.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct, if your award is within 24 hours from departure - you will not get your Avios back.

From the BAEC T&C:
Thanks! Any idea whether I would get my fess and taxes back? (I believe no YQ would be charged on QF flights between OZ and NZ, though please correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:30 pm

Thanks! Any idea whether I would get my fess and taxes back? (I believe no YQ would be charged on QF flights between OZ and NZ, though please correct me if I'm wrong).
You're welcome. I believe BA does refund fees and taxes on awards (less their cancellation fee), even if within 24 hours from departure where you don't get the Avios back. I'm sure someone else will answer in case I'm incorrect about this.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
You will not get any avios back if cancelled within 24hrs of departure.

Unfortunately I know this the hard way from once a few years ago (before smartphones) when I wanted to cancel something 26hrs before departure, but the U.S. (where I was) and UK offices were closed until 22hrs before departure so I couldn't get hold of them to cancel. [I had no internet access in the remote place I was staying and only had the U.S. and UK numbers at hand]

You will get back any taxes exceeding the cancellation fee - usually only applicable on longhaul routes with carriers with high YQ (so not AA or CX).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:31 pm

You're welcome. I believe BA does refund fees and taxes on awards (less their cancellation fee), even if within 24 hours from departure where you don't get the Avios back. I'm sure someone else will answer in case I'm incorrect about this.
Within 24hr of departure Avios are forfeit but taxes and fees are refunded in full ..no cancellation fee charged in these circumstances.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Well I just learned this the hard way. Booked a ticket yesterday for today; had to cancel it this morning, and thought I was in the clear because of the 24 hour cancellation policy.

But nope... my choices were to forfeit my avios, or pay the cancellation + phone fee as a 'one time exception' and get them back. I took the latter, which was nice of them, but that was a painful lesson to learn.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum

From the BAEC T&C:
Hence a good reason to always book one ways.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:19 am

Hello! Does the free cancellation with 24 hrs of booking also apply to bookings made on avios.com? Unfortunately, I've booked an Aer Lingus award there with rather high fees! Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Any free cancellation within 24 hours would be based on what avios.com allow. Certainly the BA cooling off period would be irrelevant for a booking made on avios.com.

Having a look at avios.com I can't immediately see any reference to a 24 hr free cancellation period.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Any free cancellation within 24 hours would be based on what avios.com allow. Certainly the BA cooling off period would be irrelevant for a booking made on avios.com.

Having a look at avios.com I can't immediately see any reference to a 24 hr free cancellation period.
Thanks, I couldn't either Lesson learned!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I believe I've used the 24hr rule on avios.com before, but it was a year or two ago. Their webchat feature is very easy so simple to ask them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.