Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please indicate your weekend preference(s). Multiple choices are possible:
24-25 September 2016
45.45%
01-02 October 2016
90.91%
08-09 October 2016
54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GadgetGal

Date

1st - 2nd October 2016

Attendees:

Cymro
Chris1979
GadgetGal
haasha
hcuk94
KARFA
matthandy
Ringway
Theonewhocan'tbenamed +1

Activities:

Breakfast at Carette, Le Marais
10am on Saturday, 25 Place des Vosges, 75003 Paris.
Google maps link here
Yahillwe, BotB, Cymro, GadgetGal, Haasha, hcuk94, Ringway, matthandy

Afternoon
Non-formal Paris walking tour:
haasha, hcuk94, GadgetGal, Ringway, matt handy, KARFA

Pre- dinner drinks at 7pm: Le Fumoir Google maps link here

Dinner at 7:30pm

Choice 1
Chez La Vieille "Adrienne"
, currently closed but due to re-open in September Google maps link here
The dinner will cost around 60euros, 3 courses and a couple of glasses of wine. A private area area can be reserved in advance

Afterwards:
Jazz bar (venue TBC)
Print Wikipost

Paris Do, again?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
If anyone is going to NY, Le Coucou should be on the list of places to eat. You have to reserve in advance.
I am actually in NYC in late November at the same time as LondonAndy. We were looking for somewhere to go and eat so that may well be a good choice.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Ok just confirmed... We can meet at Le Fumoir have a drink... then go to Chez La Vielle have a drink then go up for dinner.

BTW, they aren't yet open, BUT they will open for us, so we will have the whole (small) place to ourselves. That should be great.... I think.
Wow! That should be spectacular. Thanks for organising all this Yahillwe, sounds like it'll be really good.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Looks awesome, looking forward to it!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am actually in NYC in late November at the same time as LondonAndy. We were looking for somewhere to go and eat so that may well be a good choice.
I might be there as well... unless I get called to be with mother. Let's go there. Here is another great review:

http://www.eater.com/2016/8/29/12695...aniel-rose-nyc
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Count down is starting... Anyone else joining us??

If anyone is into antiquing here is a very good "antique market"

http://www.foiredechatou.com/en/

I have 2 tickets, each permits 2 people to enter. Let me know if anyone wants one or them.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This weekend is going to be EPIC.... Oct 1 is "Nuit Blanche" museums and many places are open ALL night or until 6-7 am.

So google it and plan your night.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To help you plan your evening:

http://en.parisinfo.com/paris-show-e...lanche-a-paris
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
This weekend is going to be EPIC.... Oct 1 is "Nuit Blanche" museums and many places are open ALL night or until 6-7 am.

So google it and plan your night.
Excellent ^ Not long to go now!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Count down is starting... Anyone else joining us??

If anyone is into antiquing here is a very good "antique market"

http://www.foiredechatou.com/en/

I have 2 tickets, each permits 2 people to enter. Let me know if anyone wants one or them.

Stop rubbing it in! I have visitors, so little chance of escape I fear, although I am still thinking about that breakfast in the Marais after which I could just possibly get back in time.... Next time, I hope.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry gypseyjaney, but I am copying my friend's FB post, she captures what to do in Paris:

One last "Indian Summer in Paris" photo. This city invites casual exploration. I feel sorry for the heavy backpack-wearing tourists trudging along the Champs Élysées, one of the least appealing streets in the city, unless you're driving down it (in which case, wheee! At the Arc de Triomphe, head straight to the center, only look to your right, and radiate outward. Fun! )
Tourists should fold up their maps. Leave their backpacks behind. Seriously. What the heck do you need that's in there?! A smartphone and a wallet will cover most needs. Unless you're hiking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela beginning at the Tour St Jacques--in which case, you go, pilgrim soul! Get lost. Just allow yourself to get lost. Your predownloaded offline map will tell you where to go if need be and panic sets in. But don't check it right away. Stroll. Amble. Meander. GET LOST and appreciate the beautiful architecture. The graffiti. The newspaper kiosks (before our nutcase mayor replaces them with her crony sheds). The papers plastered on walls advertising upcoming plays and concerts.
Then the tourist should in mid-afternoon, maybe 4pm, sit and sip an (admittedly bad, burnt, and bitter) espresso or allongé and people watch. Contemplate. Muse. Maybe even philosophize. Then get up and explore some more: a tiny museum, a narrow street, a pocket park.
At the end of the day, towards 7pm, stop again. Find a sunny terrace. Settle down and order a glass or a carafe of wine: ponder the possibilities. Ask the waiter for recommendations. Peruse the list, look at the latest specials written on the slate. Order a plate of saucissons & pickles, or a small pot of rillettes. Ask for a basket of bread. Fill your glass, chew your baguette, feel the cooling of the air as it heads to evening. Sip your wine. And realize that visiting this city is not about the monuments on the checklist, it's about the experience of the Parisian mundane, which admittedly is a delightful mundane.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Sorry gypseyjaney, but I am copying my friend's FB post, she captures what to do in Paris:

One last "Indian Summer in Paris" photo. This city invites casual exploration. I feel sorry for the heavy backpack-wearing tourists trudging along the Champs Élysées, one of the least appealing streets in the city, unless you're driving down it (in which case, wheee! At the Arc de Triomphe, head straight to the center, only look to your right, and radiate outward. Fun! )
Tourists should fold up their maps. Leave their backpacks behind. Seriously. What the heck do you need that's in there?! A smartphone and a wallet will cover most needs. Unless you're hiking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela beginning at the Tour St Jacques--in which case, you go, pilgrim soul! Get lost. Just allow yourself to get lost. Your predownloaded offline map will tell you where to go if need be and panic sets in. But don't check it right away. Stroll. Amble. Meander. GET LOST and appreciate the beautiful architecture. The graffiti. The newspaper kiosks (before our nutcase mayor replaces them with her crony sheds). The papers plastered on walls advertising upcoming plays and concerts.
Then the tourist should in mid-afternoon, maybe 4pm, sit and sip an (admittedly bad, burnt, and bitter) espresso or allongé and people watch. Contemplate. Muse. Maybe even philosophize. Then get up and explore some more: a tiny museum, a narrow street, a pocket park.
At the end of the day, towards 7pm, stop again. Find a sunny terrace. Settle down and order a glass or a carafe of wine: ponder the possibilities. Ask the waiter for recommendations. Peruse the list, look at the latest specials written on the slate. Order a plate of saucissons & pickles, or a small pot of rillettes. Ask for a basket of bread. Fill your glass, chew your baguette, feel the cooling of the air as it heads to evening. Sip your wine. And realize that visiting this city is not about the monuments on the checklist, it's about the experience of the Parisian mundane, which admittedly is a delightful mundane.

An admirable piece - add a visit to a Patisserie and my day would be complete
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
just packing.

I am keen on the walking tour as well.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
see you Yahillwe for Tapas tonight?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
just packing.
Checked bag?

Yes, was there a meeting point & time for this?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

just packing.

see you Yahillwe for Tapas tonight?
Originally Posted by KARFA
Checked bag?

Yes, was there a meeting point & time for this?
Am glad that everyone is getting ready.

See you tonight Chris et al. Ellsworth has an L shaped bar, I will be sitting by the door around the wall... does that make sense???

I was thinking that since we are having breakfast in the Marais, we would walk around there and hit some "passages" and just get lost. Just like what my friend posted above. This is what we do here. It should be fun. And hopefully not raining.

The ones who can't make the casual dinner tonight (real casual... but NOT shorts ) we will see you tomorrow for breakfast... and the unmentionables who are way too busy driving fast cars... we will be seeing you for drinks tomorrow.

I hope that by now, you all have my tell #, am on what's app as well. You can always reach me anywhere.

Oh BTW since the resto is open just for us, you can wear shorts and flip flops , but it would be nicer not to.

It should be a great weekend.

There are some wonderful shows, museums etc, around, and many will be open on Saturday night. There is one of Oscar Wilde at Le Petit Palais.

http://www.petitpalais.paris.fr/en... unfortunately it is next to the Champs Elysee...But across the street from one of the most beautiful bridges.

Anything else I can do/help with or whatever???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.