Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking luggage through DPS - HKG - LHR (CX to BA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking luggage through DPS - HKG - LHR (CX to BA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:05 am

Perhaps there's a belt and braces approach - check in at DPS as early as you possibly can. In the event of any problem through checking, retain your bags and go to FedEx and arrange for them to be shipped and travel HBO.

Likely to be cheaper than buying new tickets and there's a decent chance you won't need to do this anyway if the CX agents will through check.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Perhaps there's a belt and braces approach - check in at DPS as early as you possibly can. In the event of any problem through checking, retain your bags and go to FedEx and arrange for them to be shipped and travel HBO.
I would not consider that at DPS airport... Ever been?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Has CX also refused to thru-check? Because it is them you will be dealing with at DPS, and in my extensive experience with them at DPS, they will be as accommodating as you might expect a full service world class airline to be.

BA (in this case) has nothing to do with it...
Given CX has publicly restricted it's policy, like BA, wouldn't a "good" outstation likely enforce the policy properly?

I feel that OP would be unwise to leave it down to luck...
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:08 am

I would not consider that at DPS airport... Ever been?
Nope

Oh well, it was a thought.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Given CX has publicly restricted it's policy, like BA, wouldn't a "good" outstation likely enforce the policy properly?

I feel that OP would be unwise to leave it down to luck...
I noticed... Just found the very strict new rules as per 1/6/16. I never travel with hold bagage, so I don't pay attention. However, I find that at DPS the staff are pretty accommodating, and so is CX in general, especially if OWE and/or travelling in a premium cabin. I can of course be wrong, and this would leave wb1969 in a pickle.

To add to his/her misery: 2 hrs??? What were you thinking? Even without bagage this is a very, very, very bad idea. The DPS-HKG flight is quite often late.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC
The DPS-HKG flight is quite often late.
And in a bit of positive spin, recently CX 784 seems to have been early quite a lot recently:

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/cx784
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
And in a bit of positive spin, recently CX 784 seems to have been early quite a lot recently:

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/cx784
I think it is no longer a 747 anymore, which greatly improved reliability. However, I still would not risk it on 2 tickets. It has been late (from 20 min to 1 hr) at least 2 out of the last 10 times or so I flew it (over the last 3 years). Admittedly, it has been early more often, but that has fewer consequences.

At first I figured there would be no issue, but if you need to recheck your bags...
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:25 am

I think it is no longer a 747 anymore, which greatly improved reliability. However, I still would not risk it on 2 tickets. It has been late (from 20 min to 1 hr) at least 2 out of the last 10 times or so I flew it (over the last 3 years). Admittedly, it has been early more often, but that has fewer consequences.

At first I figured there would be no issue, but if you need to recheck your bags...
The 747s are now just waiting for their retirement flying to HND/TPE and back.

CX going South of HKG is usually on time, but if there are any delays the 773 will be at the back of the queue.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
So, having exhausted every possible option, the consensus is HBO, which should cover us up to an hour's delay as only now have to go to Flight Connections. Other option was to send the Mrs ahead on the morning Garuda flight with the bags and check them in on arrival in HKG, but one way fare was a bit steep.

Extra 48 hours in HKG not really an option as spending time there on the way down to Bali.

Fingers crossed for know volcanic activity.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bali with just carry on should be perfectly doable. Have fun!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Bali with just carry on should be perfectly doable. Have fun!
Well yes, I thought the whole point of Bali is that one hardly needs snow jackets and ballroom gowns. However don't overlook the idea of sending a box of dirty laundry and other bulky items home by DHL, which your hotel can perhaps arrange a few days before departure. Even if it costs £150 that's a bargain compared to some of the other potential outcomes. If I have an extended visit to my home in New Zealand I often send stuff back via parcel post, it often ends up on the same aircraft as my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.