Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking luggage through DPS - HKG - LHR (CX to BA)

Old May 18, 16, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards

I am flying CX from DPS to HKG and connecting to BA flight back to LHR. Will CX check my bags straight through to London? I only have 2 hours between flights which would not be enough to clear immigration, collect bags and check in again.
Old May 18, 16, 4:01 am

I can't answer your question about checking in directly, but as long as the flights are on-time you should be ok.

I've done this route many times on seperate tickets - admittedly when I last did the route I believe the DPS flight was timed to arrive slightly earlier (2050 rings a bell for some reason) - and there was more than enough time to clear immigration and re-check in. I've found at that arrival time immigration tends not to be too busy and luggage is generally pretty quick at HKG, so assuming the flight is not delayed and all goes well you should be ready to re-checkin within 30-40 minutes of landing.
Old May 18, 16, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I suspect 2 hours might just about be enough to get bags and recheck if you had to, as long as you moved quickly.

Is this one ticket? If so, CX will through check your bags.

Is it two separate tickets? They are quite likely to do so anyway.
Old May 18, 16, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Sorry. Should have said. Separate tickets.
Old May 18, 16, 5:50 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
Sorry. Should have said. Separate tickets.
In my experience I have found CX are very obliging and I have had no problems checking through bags on separate tickets in similar circumstances to your one.
Old Jun 12, 16, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Just come across this from Cathay Pacific http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/In2

Clearly going to be very disruptive for those who already have separate bookings with relatively short connection times an non-flexible tickets.

Annoying for me and just going to add a lot of unnecessary stress.
Old Jul 2, 16, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for bringing this up again but BA have put me in a horrible position and I really don't know what to do.

The new interline policy means I risk missing my flight back to LHR and when I rang BA recently to see what they can do, they made it clear they couldn't care less as CX are flying me into HKG on a separate ticket.

I am on an Avios booking in J using a 2-4-1 and there is no availability in any class for 48 hours after my booked flight. I am travelling with a 6 year old who is going to be tired and not understand why we can't go home.

What is BAs policy regarding missed Avios flights? Do they have any obligation to get me home, even if it means travelling in Y?

I am really worried I am going to be stranded with my son in HKG for 2 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 16, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Apologies for bringing this up again but BA have put me in a horrible position and I really don't know what to do.

The new interline policy means I risk missing my flight back to LHR and when I rang BA recently to see what they can do, they made it clear they couldn't care less as CX are flying me into HKG on a separate ticket.

I am on an Avios booking in J using a 2-4-1 and there is no availability in any class for 48 hours after my booked flight. I am travelling with a 6 year old who is going to be tired and not understand why we can't go home.

What is BAs policy regarding missed Avios flights? Do they have any obligation to get me home, even if it means travelling in Y?

Hi

I am afraid it is har to say what what happen, the agents at DPS may check you bags but do not have to.
I must say 2 hours on separate tickets with different airlines is not ideal regardless regardless if the DPS-HKG flight is delayed you could end up missing missing flight and BA an CX don't have to do anything about it. That's not to say they would no simply you are in their hands as to how kind they are feeling.
Old Jul 2, 16, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Any chance of going HBO? I appreciate that may be tricky.

If you arrive on time HKG is incredibly efficient for an airport of its size, and though I would not want to do this, nevertheless you have just enough time to make it, particularly if you online check-in for HKG - LHR in advance. That's your worst case scenario, your best is that the CX agent checks your bags through anyway. And there isn't much BA can do about that anyway, it's not their ground agent.

At least on paper, if you miss your flight, you can't rely on any leeway from BA, with separate tickets, that's not a new policy at all, and allowing 2 hours from another flight was always a risk there.
Old Jul 2, 16, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you arrive on time HKG is incredibly efficient for an airport of its size
I had to disagree with you there. More than a few times i've had to wait over 30 mins for immigration on arrival (variety of arrival times), and there is no fast track either on arrival or departure. Bags also take a while in my experience. Compared to SIN, HKG is much slower. Thankfully I now have a HKG immigration sticker, so can use the machines.

To the OP, I would beg the staff in DPS to through check your bag, if they don't initally offer to do it. Another option would be to look at couriering your bags home, jettisoning anything non-essential, then going HBO. Of course you are still then at the mercy of your DPS-HKG flight not being more than ~75 mins late disembarking in HKG. You have to go through transit security in HKG.

One other option, buy a new DPS-HKG flight to give yourself a better transit time. It's not ideal, especially if you already have nice seats on CX in J, but will at least give you peace of mind. And of course, HK is a nice place to spend the day if you get a morning flight. It looks like Garuda have a daily flight which costs around 200 pp in Y, landing in HKG at 1445. Cheaper flights with connections available depending on your dates.

Personally, given my experiences with HKG, plenty of flight delays into it, plus long lines at immigration & security both inbound and outbound, and long walks to some gates, I wouldn't schedule anything less than 4 hours for my own self made connection there, or next day if it involves China, or a flight I really can't afford to miss (like a longhual J back home).

Good luck!
Old Jul 2, 16, 10:24 pm

I would personally look at changing one of the flights.

2 hours is not much all things considered, if on separate tickets. It's true HKG is an extremely efficient airport but Bali flights have been disrupted by volcanic activity in recent months, you are entering typhoon season in Hong Kong and the 777-300 is not an aircraft they desperately need back in HKG.

CX staff in DPS are pretty good though in my experience and i would be surprised if they didn't check you straight through to LHR.
Old Jul 2, 16, 11:04 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
HKG is efficient in immigration, regardless how many people at the queue, it is quick. However, you will need to wait for your luggage. Once re checked in, I guess OP will not need to worry.

OP could also do the check in at the BA counter in the transit area at HKG. They could tag your bag through. It works like a HKIA ground staff will personally find your luggage and tag it to LHR. They will likely to ask u to wait until they found the luggage, normally takes 30 minutes. So u don't have to clear immigration out and in. I believe if you could arrive at the transit desk way earlier than departure, i.e. 90 minutes before, they will not let you miss your flight, and if it is likely you might miss it, they will work out something for u
Old Jul 3, 16, 2:24 am

Send your bag back FedEx/DHL or any other courier service and just travel HBO and you will probably be fine.
Old Jul 3, 16, 3:12 am

Programs: OWS IHG Spire

If there is availability 48 hours later, why not visit Disney land and have the the time in Hong Kong, 6 years old is a good age for a child to visit Disney and a nice end to the trip.

The 2 hours is very tight if you cant get the baggage checked through, so make a list of worst case scenario options and choose what fits best either taking an earlier flight or looking at other options such as KUL(Avios on MH) or SIN (paid LCC).

If going HBO as mentioned previously, and the circumstances go against you with inbound delays due to weather, ATC problems etc, you would loose the HKG-LHR leg and be stressed. A bit of creative thinking should help to you to relax and enjoy the holiday without spoiling the trip.

Enjoy Bali, its wonderful!
Old Jul 3, 16, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Has CX also refused to thru-check? Because it is them you will be dealing with at DPS, and in my extensive experience with them at DPS, they will be as accommodating as you might expect a full service world class airline to be.

BA (in this case) has nothing to do with it...

Search this Thread