Wiki Posts
Search

A weird CIV-related question

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, Virgin Gold
A weird CIV-related question

Hi all. any insight would be much appreciated. I did a big chunk of flying last year, pretty much all l/h and all in F. The bookings were a combination of BA & AA bookings, (but all on BA metal.) I accrued just under 7000 TPs, and moved up to GGL & CCR, having been a GC holder for nearly 20 years, usually flying 2000-2500 TPs per year. I have just begun my new TP year, (as GGL & CCR) and have accrued 2500 TPs in the last couple of months. I was flying in F on a T/A flight last week and I happened to notice the passenger printout in the galley. My CIV score was 36. A couple of questions. Is this based on how I have booked & flown this year? Does booking through AA for BA metal vs. BA on BA metal make any difference with regards to the revenue that BA eventually get?
Thanks in advance, and a nice weekend to all.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Another factor here could be that you are lifetime gold, but probably in the sub-40kTP range.

I wonder if they're using lifetime status for CIV if you have it (because a retired person with LTG who only flies enough to make bronze needs that CIV) and therefore saying that you're equivalent to a gold on 1,700 TP.

It would be bad IT if so, of course, but not impossible if they've got the logic wrong.

I will freely admit that it's pure speculation, but it doesn't tie with what we know about GGL otherwise.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:38 am

I'm pretty sure all GGLs are 96+...
Old May 6, 2016, 10:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Calum
I'm pretty sure all GGLs are 96+...
IIRC the minimum CIV for GGL is 97.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: BA
Often CIV scores are kept the same without review. They however, do get updated when you reach the next level within the executive club.
No ones knows the exact calculation but from I gather It's a combination of "cash" and "fare codes" and "airline".
For instance, a low life gold member who flies on Finnair to Asia has a lower number as they have flown Finnair comparative to BA directly. Therefore your commercial individual value is less to BA hence the lower number.
However, your case is rather confusing considering your travel pattern in FIRST.
Booking on AA will in theory affect your score as the "cash" is through AA not BA.

0-5 points – banding for Blue BAEC members
6-13 points – banding for Bronze BAEC members
14-35 points – banding for Silver BAEC members
36-96 points – a surprisingly wide banding for Gold BAEC members
97 points – Gold Guest List members (basic level)
98 points – Key Decision Makers
99 points – a Key Decision Maker who is also Gold Guest List
100 points – Lifetime Gold Guest List and higher tier Gold Guest List members
105 points – Premier (a special BAEC membership level usually reserved for people who control major travel budgets for corporates – see the Black BAEC card pictured above!)
source- http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06...ividual-value/
Old May 6, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a read:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...civ-score.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...8-civ-1-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-updated.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-gold-civ.html
Old May 6, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
duplicate post -
Old May 6, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
yes, GGL min is 97.

36 is minimum gold.

it would be pretty annoying (in the grand scheme of things ) if LTG and GGL showed as 36 on the manifest given one is earning LTG next year and one isn't sure how oneself could / would cope with 36 on the manifest
Old May 6, 2016, 10:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chris1979
yes, GGL is 97.

Gold starts at 36.

It would be pretty annoying if LTG and GGL showed as 36 as oneself reaches LTG next year and one isn't sure how one could cope with a 36 on the manifest. ;-)

I wouldn't worry, it hasn't affected my CIV or the special treatments ^
Old May 6, 2016, 10:53 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by BABenchley
For instance, a low life gold member who flies on Finnair to Asia has a lower number as they have flown Finnair comparative to BA directly.
/[/URL]
And that's precisely where low life's belong - on other OW airlines along with bronzes and silvers instead of clogging up the lounges / departure gates etc 😀
Old May 6, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by chris1979
yes, GGL min is 97.

36 is minimum gold.

it would be pretty annoying (in the grand scheme of things ) if LTG and GGL showed as 36 on the manifest given one is earning LTG next year and one isn't sure how oneself could / would cope with 36 on the manifest
This is a serious development indeed.
Might I suggest you 'gift' the LTG to the butler, and simply continue as GGL/CCR yourself, until you reach LT GGL, at which point you may revert?

[post dictated and transcribed by my PA's under-secretary, not checked]
Old May 6, 2016, 11:03 am

Clearly CIV can be as low as 36 for GGL's, as the OP has demonstrated.

It doesn't look like a time lag on system updates as it appears they've been GGL for a little while.

Is it possible BA have changed their scoring system? Or this really is an anomaly with the OP's record?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BABenchley
0-5 points – banding for Blue BAEC members
6-13 points – banding for Bronze BAEC members
14-35 points – banding for Silver BAEC members
36-96 points – a surprisingly wide banding for Gold BAEC members
The higher bands are correct, these shown above not correct any more. From memory (so I may have the overlap a point or two wrong):

0-4 "Known customers" not on BAEC (corporates mainly, some oneworlders and regular flyers who can't be bothered to join up).
5-11 Blue
12-25 Bronze
26-51 Silver
52-96 Gold.

There are a few IT bugs here, you can have an awarded CIV higher than your earned CIV and the two get confused at different points in your membership year, thanks to the technology, booking process and what not.

Its importance is massively overplayed on FT and is easily neutralised by the customer's approach to life, good manners and common sense. A good chunk of BA staff won't have a clue about this.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Its importance is massively overplayed on FT and is easily neutralised by the customer's approach to life, good manners and common sense.
This is one of the truest things I have read on this forum, as well as one of the most sensible.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, Virgin Gold
Thanks for all of the wise words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.